homemade carbon scrubber problem

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bubble_Bubble, Dec 10, 2008.

1. well... my carbon scrubber isnt working to well... the fan (12v fan running on 15.6v) cant push the air through the scrubber, only a little bit, and then the rest is pushed back into the box, anyone know a solution for this problem?

2. Bigger, more powerful fan.

3. #3 Bubble_Bubble, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
    I guess I'll just have to do that. it worries me though, its not a small fan, its a power source fan from a computer... those are generally pretty power...

edit: after further examination, SOME air is getting through, my best bet is to seel the box completely (except for the two fans) and let it do its work, I did a test with fabreeze, and it does stop stink.

4. update: plugged up holes, placed front cover on... and omg... the carbon scrubber works amazing, I did a smell test with some fabreeze, with the scrubber off I could easily smell it 10ft away, with scrubber on, I couldn't smell it when I put my nose in it. anyone who has a low budget should do this for sure, so its official I managed to stay under my budget of $150, in fact... I was less than $75, lol... granted I still need to go buy a second bulb... but thats like $15.

5. please post a picture of your setup as i need a carbon scrubber for when I start growing. Also, computer fans are acutally very weak. Get a 90$ inline fan and you will have a much better exhaust.

6. actually take that back, HTGsupply has 30$ inline fans that are much more powerfull than a computer fan.

7. Actually i have had a little experience w/ 12v vs. 110v fans.

110v fans (usually inline style) run slower, quieter, and last longer. I have noticed for some reason though that 110v squirrel cage fans spin much faster often due to having an attached gearbox between the electric motor and shaft. I am currently using a 6 inch diameter squirrel cage fan and it pulls roughly 2 to 3 times the air than my 8 inch inline fan was able to in a completely airtight box.

12v fans are usually much higher rpm than cheap 110v fans, the exception being expensive ones intended for this purpose. However on your fan, i would try to mount it on the outside of the box and pull the air through the scrubber instead of pushing it. It will be slightly louder on the outside but usually you can find a way to hide the fan from site or put a small attachment on your cab that can hide it.

8. Well, since I got arrested in march, I've had to shut down my little growers garden. I might sell all my equipment to my boss for $75, his wife is trying to grow. The noise wouldnt have been a problem, i made a point to purchase ultr silent computer fans, I only needed them to move around 15cfm, these moved 30, so they worked amazng for the period of time that I used them. My plant was around 2ft tall, and just entering the budding stage..... then *hack* its over.... what a shame.