Home Made Stone Pipe

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by BryanDaniel, Jun 15, 2010.

1. So as I was hanging out at the beach yesterday, I started looking at some of those perfectly smoothed stones and thinking how cool it would be to make a pipe with one. So before going home I decided to grab one thinking I'd give it a shot. I don't know exactly what kind of stone it is, but seeing as I have never worked with stone before nor do I have the proper tools to do so, I grabbed one that I figured looked like I would at least be able to drill into just to test the idea out. I was so stoked when I discovered it worked and plan on grabbing a few more stones next time I'm at the beach and making some pipes in the future that will be even better and hopefully a little more creative than this first one. As far as the functional design of the pipe goes, it was nearly perfect until I accidentally made the hole inside the bowl a bit too big. I had drilled the perfect sized hole in the bowl at first, but since the bowl was too small, I went back to try and expand it and accidentally expanded the hole in the bowl as well. As a result the hole is a little too big now and requires a disproportionately large (relative to the size of the somewhat small bowl) plug nug to keep ground up weed from falling through. However, I'm pleased to say that the pipe does in fact work :D
    Keep in mind it's a work in progress. I still plan on making the bowl bigger and smoother. Ideally I'd like to put a screen over that hole. I'm also always sanding it to try and get the shape perfect. And again, I plan on making more and think I can only improve from here. I'll update the thread if I feel like I get this piece just right. I'm hoping that despite my limited knowledge and tools I can post a thread in the future with something that's a little bit more....artistic :p

Anyways here are the pictures:

Unpacked:
    [​IMG]

Packed:
    [​IMG]

Top:
    [​IMG]

Size reference:
    [​IMG]

2. practice leads to experience, which leads to success!
    nice job =)

3. Very inspiring :D
    Thank you!

4. haha that's badass I wish I had the motivation to make something like that.

5. thats awesome, i want to try and make one now

6. Haha dude thats awesome and really creative. You should definitely make a few more for friends or to sell for some spare change lmao :smoking:

7. Haha thanks man! If you ever find you have the time, patience, materials, and most importantly motivation to give it a shot, I say go for it! I can honestly say I found it quite rewarding. Like I was pretty stoked when I was smoking from a completely functional and downright enjoyable stone pipe I made on my own. Yeah it's a simple pipe, yeah it wasn't too hard to make, and yeah any seasoned stone worker would probably laugh in my face, but I'm certainly proud of the results. Much more rewarding than jerry-rigging the good ol' plastic bottle bong in my humble opinion. And the possibilities are virtually endless, and I'm really looking forward to trying my hand at this again soon.
    And best of all it was free! Always a plus in this trying economic times :D

Thanks man!
    Go for it! I'm no expert but if you need any help or suggestions shoot me a PM or something! If you end up making one let me know or post up in here!
    Good luck!

Haha I appreciate the kind words man!
    Like I said, the creative possibilities are endless! I'm really looking forward to going back and getting some more stones to try and improve on my original design both functionally and creatively. I already have a friend who was totally stoked on it and asked me if I'd make one for him which was very encouraging for me :)

I do have plans on where I'd like to go from here but I don't want to spoil any surprises....
    Expect to see more work in the future!

8. That's pretty fucking cool. It looks like something you made out in the wilderness.

9. badass if your walking down the street and get mugged you now got a weapon and then when your done fighting you can smke a bowl after genious.:D

10. Haha thanks dude! I totally could have it just might have taken a bit longer :p

Fuck muggers :metal:
    Dude...how'd you know that's the reason I made it....
    But seriously that's a fantastic idea. What better way to cool off after an intense mugging than to smoke a bowl:smoke:

Let's mass produce these suckers.
    You down to help me shoot the commercial?

"Smoke POT?
    Get mugged often?
    Then do we have the product for you!"
    Needs work but I think we've got a good start yeah?

11. I have a perfect rock that is really smooth and long that i have been wanting to make into a pipe for a while. Did you use a special drill bit or anything? And how hard was it drilling through?

12. I don't think I used anything too out of the ordinary. I was just using a Ryobi 18.0v drill with different sized twist bits that came out of drill bit kit I have. Honestly I wasn't even paying attention to the numbers, I just used whatever sized twist bit I thought would be best for the mouth hole, carb, bowl, and bowl hole. I also know that there are different kinds of twist bits made/coated in different materials that give them each a specific purpose, but I ignored that all together and just went for it. It wasn't too tough drilling through but keep in mind a picked a stone that I guessed would have been a bit easier to drill through. I wish I could tell you exactly what kind of stone it was :(

One general observation I had was that the finer the twist bit, the easier it was to drill into the stone. Originally I had planned on taking the fattest drill bit to shape the bowl section, but was having a really hard time with that so I switched to a smaller bit and had to drill out the bowl section in small sections. You can kind of see what I mean in that first picture, however I worked on it yesterday a little so the bowl is a lot smoother now.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.
    Good luck!

13. Post pics of it all smoothed and nice looking. I would love to see how it looks now. I was just doing a bit of searching on how to make stone pipes when I ran across this :D

14. Throw that bitch in a rock tumbler, bro. Get it all shiny!

Assuming that smoking out of it wouldnt hurt you.

15. You should do that to all the rocks, so when stoners walk by and see a rock they are like.. lol.

16. yes, i can see it now. arriving at the beach to find thousands and thousands of tiny rock pieces. it sounds like a dream come true.

17. The real challenge then would be to find one that isn't covered in seaweed or with crabs in it!

18. You've just given me motivation to try!

What would be better to use? Stone? Wood?

Can it only be certain types of wood?

19. very neat, you should paint or carve them and then sell 'em :)

20. Nicely done, pipe screens should be really easy to find, and then you would have the perfect DIY spoon!