Home made air pots :)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Lindsay 420, Apr 23, 2017.

1. After reading a lot about the benifits of air pots n growing autos at the moment n been having issues with water in pots taking to long to Evap out of medium causing plants to droop due to excess western lack of oxygen I decided to drill a heap of holes in my pots around base n sides n to my suprise this morning medium already looks dryer on surface but plant have all perked right up looking happy as
    Wish had done this sooner :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. An air-pot doesn't just allow the medium to dry faster. Its design guides the roots to the holes to be air pruned and prevent root circling. I'm not sure that just drilling holes in the side of a bucket will do that.
    Hydro-3-1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Does same thing mate lol stops plant becoming root bound provides oxygen from side and same thing happens to roots get to the air pocket n does forcing it to grow more feeder roots in its place just doesn't cost a fortune

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm using 23 lt pots and it works beautifully

• Like Like x 1
  5. I wasn't knocking what you did, just questioning it, that's all. Good luck with your grow.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Na your cool mate just explaining does same thing just without the nobs n more stable in the pot design cos I'm growing autos watering when smaller is a pain as roots are in such big pot where as now don't have excess water siting ect n more oxygen in soil is having big impact plants are going nuts

7. Only pain is having to drill n clean all the holes to plant lol takes ages but if does as much good as looks to doing to the couple I've done it to already will be worth spending half hour to prep each pot :)

8. If this is the first time that you have done this, then how do you know it will prevent root circling? If you are going to respond to my question, would you mind using capitals and punctuation so I don't have to try and decipher what you're trying to say.

9. I decided to try it based on others experience it's exactly same principle of the air pots roots can't circulate with the air flow given by the holes it's not rocket science
    Nor is this a grammar /punctuation course lol it's a grow forum where most people are happily buzzed while posting or reading so chill out mate

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dude said it was cool man ✌️

11. I've heard of people using fabric grocery bags but never seen the results.

You'll know when you kick apart the rootball how effective it was. With buckets they used to just fall apart, lot of unused soil in the middle even when potting up. The roots from fabric and air pots are fiberous and strong, runs through every cubic inch of soil. Think about how strong hemp is to begin with, a good rootball from a proper airpot wastes no soil and is impossible to kick apart. You have to peel the pot off, no joke.

So yea, the rootball in the end will tell the story.

12. Yeah its hard to get out because the roots are stuck in the fabric. That doesnt mean the roots are stronger or better. Ive used plastic grow bags, two different type of fabric pots and super roots air pruning pots. In the end i always look at the root ball and tear it apart and saw no difference in yield, size of plant or quality of roots. I threw the super roots pots in the garbage along with the fabric pots. Its not worth my time to dick around trying to clean them when grow bags are like 30 cents each.

13. Do you also have drainage issues with your growing medium? No? Then there are many things one can do to improve the health of their root systems, and not all of them are necessary for every style of growing. This is OP's thread about OP's problem, and fabric pots are one way for him to improve the health of his root system. Does that help somebody who is already at the top of their game? No, and it isn't meant to.

Like I said, he will see the difference when he kicks HIS rootball apart.

14. Cool me 2 air pots thst act like whicks lol also gona reticulate feed from bottom to top to bottom etc with curtain of bubbles under roots. Will put over flow in the side and will put double fitting to pump in resevour so pump to plant and pump out for change of nutes

Sent from my SM-G900I using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

15. I have a lot of air pots but switched to fabric pots. They work great, but I always had issues with watering and falling through the holes. Yeah can take it slow, but was a pain heh. But yeah what you did does the same thing but I do argue that the air pots are better then a drilled 5 gallon, but it works much the same.

But then again you can get big fabric pots for like 99 cents on eBay with handles. So for the price of that 5 gallon bucket can get like 2-3 fabric pots 7 gallon I think.

16. They they where all solid mass lol litterally couldn't even see any of the coco on the outer layer also was harder to seperate as roots had formed notches of roots through the holes lol

17. D
    idnt have that much of an issue with water loss out the holes just had to ensure top layer was wet before pouring faster lol

18. Im a impatient brute. I did that and it “helped” but in the end still had the issue. I have it with fabric pots as well just not as bad <3 rubber horse stall mat and drip trays.

19. The DIY air pots work for me..I have vegged and even flowered a female (to turn it male) in them..Nice small footprint too.
    Normally I use fabric pots, but for $1 each and my soldering iron..I'm in>>;)

air pot 2.JPG
    3-14-18 Cackleberry CS treated clone.JPG

• Like Like x 1