Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

holding in your hits

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by popesmokesdope, Jan 25, 2010.

1. i always hold my hits as long as i possibly can, but the other day my friend told me it only takes 6 seconds for your lungs to absorb the thc from a hit. im wondering if thats true, and also what about all the other cannabinoids?

2. There's many thoughts on this, but mine is 5-7 seconds max.
    After that you'll most likely have a headrush from loss of oxygen not THC content.

3. i remember reading that it was 3-5 seconds for THC to absorb, so holding horrible carcinogenic smoke in your lungs any longer seems pretty pointless

4. This is most definitely a thread for apprentice tokers...

Holding your breath to the point of oxygen deprivation is obviously idiotic and should be avoided. There's research to demonstrate holding longer than 3-7 (it ranges in the research) does nothing positive for you... word is out on whether there are negative consequences. To air on the safe side, there is no reason to exceed 7 seconds.

5. Anything past a few seconds is just doing unneeded damage to your lungs and like stated before the only thing you gain is a head rush from lack of oxygen. The hairs in your lungs get coated with tar within the first few seconds of inhaleing-

6. I don't understand why people keep bringing up oxygen deprivation. Seriously, who get's deprived of oxygen in even a minute, let alone 10 seconds. Yes, it's bad for your lungs to let smoke settle, but oxygen deprivation, definitely does not happen that quickly.

7. Yeah it is true, wait 3-5 seconds but no more then that.

8. it's 3-5 secs to absorb all the THC and any after that your absorbing everything else in the smoke. But holding it in as long as you can will greatly reduce smoke and smell.

9. #9 sinsemillaplease, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
    Yes it does. Hold your breath for 15 seconds... try to run for 15 more without taking a new breath. Resume normal breathing for a minute. Run for 15 seconds. Note the difference between runs.

Going without oxygen for ANY length of time is oxygen deprivation by definition. Your body needs oxygen every second of every day. Stop breathing and it starts running out right away.

All oxygen deprivation might not present a danger obviously... but when smoking you generally don't take one hit alone. I know lots of people who hold in their smoke until the weed makes it back around the circle to them. Let's call it 20 seconds although that's obviously much shorter than irl.

Breathe in.... 20 seconds.... breathe out and immediately inhale smoke.... 20 seconds.... breathe out and immediately inhale smoke.... 20 seconds. There's a typical 3 person bowl pack. You've robbed your lungs of oxygen, overwhelmed them with smoke and you're standing up... LOOK OUT BELOW! Somebody is about to tumble to the ground.

I've seen it on the forums a bajillion times.... "Did I Pass Out From Smoking?" "HELP! My Weed Is Causing Seizures" "Dizzy From Weed?"