hmmm

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by juggalo419, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Alright, I know I ask a lot of ?'s but that's what this forum is for right (see, another question lol). My question is this, the lowest leaves on my girl are looking kind of funky, spotted almost. She's been pumping out leaves at a very steady rate the past couple of days, I attribute that to the introduction of a homemade CO2 generator. My thought is that maybe the lower or lowest leaves aren't getting enough light due to the much bigger leaves coming in, if this is the case, should I trim them away from the plant? Of heard of tying branches down but A) nothings really branched out....yet and B) I don't think the main stem is quite strong enough yet to be bent in such a manner. Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing these leaves to look different?

2. its because their not getting enough light....

you don't trim after two weeks of flipping the light to flower.... after than you can force the plant to turn hermie

3. Oh she's still in veg. She's been on the 18/6 cycle for about a week now and I'm thinking of keeping it that way for at least 2 more weeks, then I plan to gradually work her down to the 12/12 cycle. Is it a good idea to slowly step the light cycle down, and do you think I'll be safe trimming those leaves in the veg state?

4. you can trim in veg all day long..

but you have to stop two weeks after the lights have been flipped...

and I never read the difference in stepping down the light schedule... but hey, if you have free time give it a go

5. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']you can trim in veg all day long..

but you have to stop two weeks after the lights have been flipped...

and I never read the difference in stepping down the light schedule... but hey, if you have free time give it a go[/quote]

There's no saving those leaves is there lol which is fine because they're small anyway. It's not so much that I'm in a hurry, I've never grown before so I'm taking my time and making sure she gets everything she needs.

6. no, once damage is done to leaves its pretty much over... if a plant is in total melt down it will be at the top of the plant(the new growth)

I always trim my plants at the bottom to force more energy of the plant to the bud sites... besides... those bottom leaves(usually but not always)never receive enough light to make those bud sites worth it... so i cut them off

7. So correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't trimming (even those 2 little leaves) promote new growth at the top? If so she's for sure getting a trim today!

8. I'm actually very interested in this topic as well, not sure if I should be trimming the leaves that might not get as much attention...

9. #9 Tihspeed, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    I really don't know what two little leaves your speaking of... but any growth at the bottom is wasting energy that could be put to use at the top of the plant to make larger bud sites....

but... it also requires energy to heal cuts that you make... so this is why many have suggested lots of daily pruning rather than massive pruning in one day...

some have suggested massive pruning can force a female plant to hermie... others have never had a problem... my guess is its strain related... but why not error on the side of caution and just take a few leaves at the bottom each day till you flip to flower then leave it alone... seems to work for me

edit... this is also an opinion... but I know that for me once i started lollipopping my plants my bud sites got way more dense... so for me its a fact... its not like im a scientist though... I just hate trimming tons and tons of popcorn bud... i like big thick nugs....

if you have two plants, trim one and don't trim the other... this way you can decide for yourself if lollipopping works for you

10. The leaves I'm referring to are the first set of "true" leaves. I'm going to trim her up today, I think I might take a leaf whether it needs to go or not.