Historical White Privilege/Culture & Systemic Racism Collide with 21st Century Equality

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChiefRunningPhist, Aug 31, 2020.

?

Kim Potter is most like...

1. Betty Shelby

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Amber Guyger

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Of course I do, your the most unkind person on this forum, as far as nothing to add, ditto , go snipe at your own country,lol!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Its all those awful, nasty White folks!

Lets git em boys!

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. #1703 Jaspurr, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    They called it Black Wall Street.

Tulsa had the wealthiest black neighbourhood in the country. On Sundays, women wore satin dresses and diamonds, while men wore silk shirts and gold chains. Teachers lived in brick homes furnished with Louis XIV dining room sets, fine china and Steinway pianos.

On the night of May 31st, 1921, thirty-five blocks of Greenwood were razed. 1,256 homes and 191 businesses were destroyed, hundreds were killed. 10,000 black people were left homeless.
    By morning, Black Wall Street had been reduced to rubble.

[​IMG]

The history of the Tulsa race massacre that destroyed America’s wealthiest black neighborhood

j

• Like Like x 1
  4. #1704 Jaspurr, May 9, 2021
    How racism kept black Tacomans from buying houses for decades

Honorably discharged after serving in the Korean War, the young man looked to settle down in Tacoma with his wife.
    If only they could convince someone to show them a home.
    If they got to a house first, the real estate agent would leave upon seeing them.

They learned to park down the street and wait for the agent to approach the house. Then they’d make their move: Drive up and catch him between his car and the front door of the house so he couldn’t leave.
    But even that hadn’t landed them a home.

“When you called a real estate office, you used what I call your ‘white voice,’ ” Harold Moss said, sharing his strategy for roping a white real estate agent into showing a home.

If the couple managed to get inside a house, he said, the owners’ excuses would fly: “They would hate me if I sold this house to a Negro,” or, “I don’t think you could get a loan.”

They met with neighbors in hopes of winning them over so the minister then would agree to sell them the house.
    The first neighbor didn’t answer the door, they said, even though they could see her watching from inside the home.
    At the next house the Mosses were invited inside.

“All of a sudden the front door opened and the back door opened, and in came this horde of people,” Bil Moss said. “And they began to tell us ‘no’.”
    “If we moved here, they couldn’t sell their property,” she said they were told.

Like many black Americans across the nation, the Mosses were victims of redlining.
    Immigrants and people of color, as well as many who lived near them, were largely excluded from the housing market and denied the equity, financial security and generational wealth that home-ownership provides.

In the eyes of many of the country’s bankers, nothing downgraded an otherwise acceptable neighborhood like the presence of black families, records from the time show over and over again.

“Nativism and racism is at the heart of the grading and the theory behind the grading,” said Robert Nelson, a graduate of University of Puget Sound and director of the digital scholarship lab with the University of Richmond.

Today, some agents show black families homes only in certain neighborhoods in a practice called “steering,” said Linda Hurley Ishem, an urban studies senior lecturer at University of Washington Tacoma. She’s studied the effects of redlining in the Puget Sound area.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article216269965.html

j

• Like Like x 1
  5. This once-thriving black community in NYC was destroyed to make way for Central Park

By 1855, Seneca Village was home to several prominent African Americans such as Albro Lyons and his wife Mary Joseph Lyons who were runaway slaves who owned a sailors boarding house as well as outfitting store that sold clothes.

The village also had three churches, two schools, two cemeteries and stores with various businesses.
    Landowners in Seneca Village made up the majority of the 91 Black New Yorkers who had the right to vote. Several of the African Americans were also rich enough to employ white midwives.

Residents of Seneca Village were asked to leave their homes without any other place to go. The village was called the N****r Village by several white people. The Gotham Gazette states that several African Americans living in Seneca Village were reluctant to leave the only place they could call home.

A report by The New York Daily stated that “The policemen find it difficult to persuade them out of the idea which has possessed their simple minds, that the sole object of the authorities in making the Park is to procure their expulsion from the homes which they occupy.”

With political power as a major tool, the inhabitants of Seneca Village were made to evacuate the area and some were lucky enough to gain a small amount of money in exchange for the lands.

By 1870, every memory of Seneca Village had been wiped away and replaced with the $14 million dollars contracted Central Park. In 1998, The Seneca Village project was set up to help create more awareness of the once thriving African American community that opened its gates for non African Americans and lived in peace.
    Several excavations have happened in parts of the area to provide more proof of the existence of the village. A small sign dedicated to the people who once called it home can be found in Central Park.

It is believed that like Tulsa, the Black Wall Street, Seneca Village was destroyed to abruptly end the rapid progress of the Black Community in urban areas.

[​IMG]

This once-thriving black community in NYC was destroyed to make way for Central Park - Face2Face Africa

j

• Like Like x 1
  6. #1706 Jaspurr, May 9, 2021
    Tuskegee Experiment: The Infamous Syphilis Study

New research suggests a strong link between the public revelation of the Tuskegee Study and poor health outcomes for black men.

At at a time when there was no known treatment for syphilis, a contagious venereal disease, 600 African American men in Macon County, were recruited by the promise of free medical care

They were unknowingly infected with syphilis in order for health officials to study the full progression of the disease.

The 40-year experiment was run by Public Health Service officials who refused to tell the patients their diagnosis, refused to treat them for the debilitating disease and actively denied some of them treatment.

The lives of those black men and many of their families were mostly ruined; many men died from complications of syphilis and several of their wives and children contracted the disease

[​IMG]
    A doctor draws blood from one of the Tuskegee test subjects

An Unethical Medical Study Took a Year Off the Lives of Black Men

j

• Like Like x 1
  7. Y’oughta start reading through here - theres hundreds and hundreds of nasty racist events in your own country to keep you busy for awhile instead of your constantly shitting all over mine.

Seriously - start reading and posting about all the shitty racism in your own country for awhile. You’re due.

racist events in australia - Google Search

j

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. #1708 Jaspurr, May 9, 2021
    I will indeed post more racist Aus. content now that you have requested it, I'm happy to educate you on the subject.

I've agreed with you regarding racism in Aus. and you know it. You also know that I've posted many Aus. examples here.

Your google link isn't very impressive btw, a very lazy attempt.
    I'll post better examples as they come to mind.

In my experience, I've come across many Americans who don't even know much of racist US history as it's not taught in US schools and are totally unaware of the event's I've posted above.
    I suspect many here don't know of the above events and as you you've witnessed, my experience was 100% correct about that fake troll account.

j

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. #1709 Jaspurr, May 9, 2021
    In Australia, historians and artists have turned to cartography to record the widespread killing of Indigenous people.

[​IMG]

The Mapping of Massacres

I'm more than happy to post about historical white privilege and racism in Aus.

I just feel that none of you will bother to read the posts or know enough of Aus. history to discuss it.

Both our countries were founded on colonialism, invading and stealing land from the indigenous that Europeans were not at war with. Both countries plundered the natural resources without compensating the indigenous and this pattern exists in every country that Europeans colonised.
    The indigenous and others affected by racism suffer today and some people have the audacity to believe it's their fault for their lower standards of living.

j

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Here is one example that really angers me.

A missionary from the Pacific Islands trying to convince the Australian indigenous to destroy their culture and replace it with christianity. FFS!

Christian missionaries are causing a fresh wave of upset in outback Australia, promising to bring people back from the dead and promoting the idea traditional Aboriginal culture is a type of devil worship.
    Aboriginal followers of a Tongan-born preacher have set fire to artefacts considered sacred by many local elders and dismantled and burnt a spiritual law ground.

Born-again Christians of the Aboriginal Wangkatjungka community were convinced that their beliefs were satanic so they held a massive bonfire in 2016 to destroy cultural artifacts. One man threw in a bundle of weapons that had been passed down to him over generations.

[​IMG]

'That's all from the devil': A Pentecostal missionary who believes Aboriginal culture is witchcraft

j

11. Just another example of 'white privilege' and sadly one half of my ancestry are very racist toward the brown skinned jews believing they - fair skinned jews, are superior. Unwilling to acknowledge European jews only started practising judaism after the mizrahi (brown skinned jews) migrated north into Europe and converted them.

Both christianity and judaism killed off European culture, destroyed statues, artefacts, basically committing genocide toward those who believed in Slavic, Germanic and Norse gods converting the whole region to monotheism.

The jewish state bill, passed in 2018, which exclusively reserves the right to self-determination to jews, allows for the establishment of segregated towns for jews only and also grants legal precedent to jewish-only schools, jewish-only roads, jewish-only neighbourhoods and settlements in ApartheidIsrael.

Even the commodity of water is restricted and prioritised to jewish nationals – Israeli settlements in the West Bank (who comprise 15% of population in the West Bank) are given access to over 80% of its freshwater resources.

[​IMG]

Call it what it is - ApartheidIsrael – Mondoweiss

j

12. Who remembers this gem?

The Sopranos fans may recognise a young Silvio, (Steven Van Zandt) who wrote the song.
    Also guest appearances by Run DMC, Lou Reed, Joey Ramone, Aus's very own Peter Garrett and even Michael Monroe.

The time the music world joined in to protest the apartheid in South Africa.

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. You are the last being anyone needs education from about anything - a four year old can copy and paste anything. No one reads your useless dribble - all youre doing is clogging up the subforum with your copy and paste BS.

Haven't you noticed that not one person has entered into any meaningful discussion with you whatsoever? Not one person is interested in any of it.

j

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. #1714 Jaspurr, May 9, 2021
    Then why did you request more Aus. content?

You will notice that many of my posts have received the 'informative' tick of approval as well as likes and funnies, people do indeed engage with my posts but you have consistently been the major disruptor in this thread as well as the other, derailing both thread topics with your nonsense.

Many want to see an end to racism and you are trying to oppress those who speak up for the right to equality in much the same way as many bigots and racists in power do; using the same methods, belittling and trying to control anyone who stands for equality.

You rally the others to join in to do the same and it was your jibes and bickering that closed down the other thread. Nobody wants to read your constant criticism, put-downs, insults and name calling; your posts add nothing of any substance to this thread nor the other.

Please get back on topic and like I have been doing - post something informative that people want to read, otherwise leave the thread and allow the rest of us to participate in it peacefully.

j

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. i love to see people persuing their vision of the american dream. ever body do :)

16. #1716 garrison68, May 9, 2021
    This thread started out as a discussion of BLM, but the OP was not happy with the responses, which were largely negative to BLM, so he/she changed the topic. So, thanks to Jaspurr's leadership skills, we now have opinions about Jews and Israel, lots of articles bashing America and Americans who are probably not guilty of racism, and an attempt to compare Australia which has 25.36 million people, with the United States, which has a population 328.2 million, not to mention many other differences. Jaspurr would like to teach all of us with lesser minds, some lessons, with videos by rich, elitist, famous people who don't know shit from Shinola.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Rock was brilliant in Fargo Season 4, a great season that highlighted the racism during the era.

j

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. #1718 Jaspurr, May 9, 2021
    Naturally I speak about what I know .. I have plenty of close relatives that practice judaism but I found it funny how you always single out jews when I post way more on USA, Aus., India and even South Africa.

Every one of the posts, keeping to the topic of this thread:

Historical White Privilege/Culture & Systemic Racism Collide with 21st Century Equality

Well, I at least I did teach you that redneck is not a racial slur.

You're welcome.

j

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Rock, a rich guy who is about as funny as a toadstool, tries his hand at denouncing racism. He should talk about gay rights. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

20. I believe as an actor he would be just following what the script writers wrote for him.

Why exactly should he talk about gay rights? - rhetorical question, don't answer it.

I pity your sad attempt to derail this thread which has nothing to do with gay rights but to steer it back on topic, I guess if a govt. can oppress a race of people, the same laws can be twisted to oppress others.

j