High!!! Ppm 3000+?????

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by burritoboy, May 30, 2010.

1. I read on another forum about a Bubblebox type set up where the guy, a favorite poster on the stite A Sticky if you know what I mean, saying 3000 ppm and up to 4000 starting with 2000 in veg. Well I have two ppm testers and 2000 is the over rating number, meaning it won't ever read that high. I have also read where 2000+ ppm starts to become toxic so 3000 to 4000 just sounds like bs!! So anyone every heard or seen a grow with 3000/4000 ppms???? I also grow at a max in late bloom in the range of 1500 to 1900 and it only gets high when they suck the water up to quick and for less that 24 hours most times. Keeping it around 1600 seems to be the best. I means at 4000 ppm they are basically soaking in pure nutes so want to know what this magic system might be since "Sticky" said it was what he was doing..... Thanks...

2. 1600 is pretty high in my book ...

3. Was this grower using Sea Solids as his nutrient source? This system is a little "underground" but it depends on extremely high ppms for conductivity in the water. It supposedly leads to crazy good growth.

4. I fugure it is total bullshit but I got a lot of grief from the heads on that site becaue Sticky is like one or the admin people on that site so you say anything negative about his shit and they just ban you. I would still like some idiot to tell me that they know what it is all about because they said to me on rollitup that I was just an idiot. Anyone ever heard of 3000-4000 ppm and not had dead plants? Really want to hear how/why anyone would say that is ok and the exact system that magically can make plants tolerate what is in common knowledge supposedly will be a toxic brew... Thanks.

5. Nothing was ever said about "ses solids" ?? think they were just using organics or AN's line. Still bs if you ask me... I use organics and so have some experiance.... anyone, show me, a grow sys, a grow, plants pics, that have over 3k ppm.... The people at rollitup are just full of shit and trying to get people to kill their grows. No one can have 4000 ppm like ROI "Sticky" says he does. Also there is something called righteous indidnation so for victims, and or pussies silence might be your only way....

6. WTF. I can't believe no one has a reall comment about this.?? What kind of advanced forum is this.. I would think someone would care to chime it but guess not. Wow.

7. I run mine at 2000 PPMs. Tried it at a few other settings and this is what works well for me.

8. This is with Lucas system right? at .7 conversion?

9. Sorry my mistake, It is 1600ppm at .7

10. Mine's at 1200 ppm at .5 Do you think it is fine as long as there is no signs of nute burn? They seem to be growing fine.

11. As far as the high ppm, i think if my ppm's hit 2-3k my plants would shrivel into nothing.
    I'm not about to test it though. lol.

12. At 3000+ PPM, the solution would be very acidic. Also, the grower would have to use to much pH up in the solution to control the pH.
    I have yet to hear of a strain that can tolerate such a high PPM solution.

13. What do you guys mean by .7 and .5 conversion?

14. botanicare pro grow and bloom never gets higher than 1600ish ppm during maturity

15. PPM measurements are made by measuring the EC (Electrical conductivity) of the solution, and then multiplying that number by a conversion factor. So, the TDS number is derived from the EC, not measured directly. Someone else will have to explain why two different conversion factors are in use because I'm still kind of lost on that one.

For this reason, the EC can be more dependable for measuring solute concentration. A meter using a CF of .5 will give tell you that there are 500 PPM if the EC is 1000 microsiemens. A meter with a .7 CF will give you a reading of 700 PPM from the same sample. The EC, however, will be the same regardless of the conversion factor.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Man you are full of good info and explain it very well. i wish i could give you more rep but GC sucks about that. How about a new thread bro? how's things goin' for you?

17. Things are going well. Busy, but well.

What does it mean to give someone rep?

I think I might understand why two different conversion factors are used. Ions form pairs as their concentrations increase in a solution. When the pairs form, the resultant charge of the pair is less than the sum of its parts. Thus, the EC does not rise in direct relationship to the TDS as concentrations increase. To adjust for this, the .5 CF is used for very concentrated solutions, and the .7 CF is used for more dilute concentrations. The changing CF is needed to reflect the changing relationship between TDS and EC.

18. nice explanation. i think rep is short for reputation. basically saying thanks for helping us other blades out.

19. ppms can get pretty high with organics, the runoff from my soil started at 3000 ppms but that's because of dissolved organic compounds they are not available nutrients but still contribute to tds. as for synthetics I believe that when 3 or 4000 ppm becomes toxic its usually a result of nutrient toxicity most commonly nitrogen and phosphourus. there are someing elements however which rarely become toxic like calcium and sulfur. can only indirectly cause harm like through acidity alkalinity of lockout of phosphates and magnesium. when ppms get extremely high you start apprching the area where ppm is harmful regardless of the composition,where osmosis starts to take hold and the plant starts having difficulty drawing water and nutrients with it, although ocean water has an average of 10000 pm of sodium and 19000 of chloride, and plenty of plants survive near or in the sea they have obvisouly adapted to it better, but it still remains that ppm isn't a good indicator of harm to plants, and it does not surprise me that the use of sea solids can be over 3000 ppm with no harm.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 cld_tech, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Plants don't grow by quantity, but by proportions. You can go almost as high as you wish in ppm as long as you also upgrade the other components without forgetting one. I have a 24x24 tent at 8000ppm right now (flowering), co2 5000ppm (must have an outdoor air output for draining before opening), you also need some diffraction and dispersion mechanism so you can have 8 times more lumens without burning the leaf, the best is rotating prisms, be sure to have a wide spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet. Behind 10000ppm i only succeed the growth in a supercritical fluid chamber filled with co2, a very interesting 4th state of matter between liquid and gaz. But you need a little more DIY to make one, it's still safe at home tough! Oh and pH closely monitor pH. I only succeed because a micro-controller who monitor 24/7, it;s not really sustainable to do "by hand".