High-powered CFL grow log

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by gamma90, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Hello,

I've been reading this great website for years. Finally started growing, and now I'm a murderer as I've killed several batches using low powered CFLs and not enough ventilation or overwatering or overnuting.

But I've finally made it to the flowering stage with my plants so I'll put up my progress pictures so far.

Growing in a 150cmx180cm wardrobe I added thermal insulation reflective material to, hole in the side with a decent exhaust that moves 115L/pm of air, oscilating fan for the plants and temperature which hovers around 20-27 degrees Celsius, the powerful exhaust is needed as the big CFL's need ventilation or they create large heat, with ventilation no problem.

200w 6500k bulbs approx 13000 lumens each. Used 2 for vegging.
    130w 2700k bulbs approx 8000 lumens each, using 4 for flowering, plus one 6500k bulb.

All home-wired sockets also, no fancy reflectors.

So the plants have been growing in about a 600ml cup for 6 months, they began to flower because they were outside in winter, plants I originally gave up on. I started this 6th September to grow them properly.

Blacked out for a week or so and forgot to take pictures I guess.

Also I don't know what the strains are. Got a collection of random seeds collected over time.

Attached Files:

2. Bit more

Attached Files:

3. Photo no. 1 is the smallest flowering plant ive seen!?

4. Only small because it was kept in a very small container (600ml) or so for about 7 months and then left outside so it started flowering but remained rather small.

Swapped them back to veg without much issue and now back to flowering.

5. Update, advice would be welcome.

Attached Files:

6. Stop spraying water on them. No need for it. Will eventually create excess moisture and mold. Other then that. This is the fun part. I'm in week 11 of flower with 6 plants under 850 watts of cfl. Not a bad haul.

7. Please keep updating, I'm over-interested in CFL grows I've been researching them for like a month straight and i stil havent planted a single seed so please keep posting results with them :)

Question: Have you only cloned/transplanted with CFL's or have you germinated and done full grows with them?

8. Subbed and watching. I beleive in the power of a CFL grow you can do it. Don't spray the plants themselves it will create a problem down the road, spray the soil. Also something that I did with CFLs, you can get a plug from the hardware store that plugs into the wall and then you can plug light bulbs in them. I did these and put them on the ends of extension cords so I could easily move them all around the grow area and make sure they are close enough. Just my 2 cents hope for a good harvest for you!

9. Ok will stop with the spray bottle thanks.

Gave them a flush and a trim of yellow leaves today.

I've germinated and done clones with CFLs also so I think they're good for the whole process, especially the new dual spectrum bulbs being sold.

Attached Files:

10. Looking great for a CFL grow. They are smaller buds but hey we get what we get with what we put them in. =) I still think they look great, hell I'd smoke em =), don't let the anti CFL guys get ya down.

11. Update-

Attached Files:

12. Nice, i think i would feed with a 20/20/20 fert every 7-10 days see if i could green em up a little..... Burn One.

13. I use a 'Bloom' hydro fertiliser developed locally for our tap water conditions.

14. Looks healthy, looks tastey! Wish my babies were there, but they are just sprouts at this stage.. Going to be a long couple of months lol

15. Update - Another 4-ish weeks I guess.

Attached Files:

16. I really wish my plants were getting to that point lol.

17. Doesn't take to long, I jumped the gun and swapped from 16/8 to 12/12 early so my plants are still small but I should get an ounce at least off each I'm hoping.

18. Should get that much. I am still on a 24 hour cycle. Going to switch to a 18/6 cycle here soon once I get all the lights in and the aero system hooked up

19. Update -

Dirt plant is definitely close to harvest time, coco is going to need extra time.

Attached Files:

20. Hell yeah man looks like you are getting close to the magic time of harvest! lol. Very nice.