High in a Hemlock

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by ConiferCannabis, May 20, 2010.

1. I think I'm definitely gonna use one bottle on each side. I'm gonna put the stakes in soon and start watering my plant through them so that before I move I can get a feel for how long it takes the bottles to fully drain.

I googled the total amounts of daylight charts for the past few years. Where I'm at it wont average at 12/12 until late August. So can I expect to be in vegg until then? Or do you think because there is a slight canopy and my plant doesn't get direct sunlight until well after the sun rises that it will possibly start to flower sooner than the calendar 12/12 switch over. I'm just trying to plan ahead for when I need to buy a good phosphorous based fertilizer.

2. +1 to the rep for this creative grow.....I can't wait to see how this turns out.....maybe you could take some pics of you bringing it OUT of that tree....I'd be interested in seeing that too!

3. #43 ConiferCannabis, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
    hhaha thanks Hazy. i'll def post some pics of getting it out of the tree, but im not quite sure how im gonna do it yet. probably just fill up a shoe box bring it down and repeat.

I ordered my plant nanny watering stakes today they should be in by the weekend. hopefully they'll work for while i'm gone.

4. #44 ConiferCannabis, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
    She's grown a ton since thursday night. i was pretty surprised probably 6-8 inches over the weekend. Heres an updated arial
    [​IMG]
    heres an underbelly.
    [​IMG]
    heres a side shot. i hope she fills out a bit more.
    [​IMG]
    I'm tempted to super crop one more time and try and boost up a cola thats getting covered here. the problem with supercropping im having is that i bend it almost to the point of breaking and its great and stays bent over for a while, but within a week is growing straight back up again. i shoulda tied them down instead of supporting with the bamboo.
    [​IMG]
    the dead leaves have almost fallen off. i didn't even think to pluck them till i got back to my apartment. shoulda done that a while ago, or at least while i was out there today, instead of letting her waste energy on them.
    [​IMG]

5. #45 ConiferCannabis, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
    i canceled the order for the plant nanny stakes. i cant find them in any stores and amazon is saying that they wouldn't get here for a month. i don't really know whats up with that, but im not gonna wait around for them. i'll have to rig up a gravity fed system of sorts or something.

also i had some black fly looking bugs crawling on a bunch of my leaves so i veggie pharm'd again. but i dropped the bottle out of the top of the tree and it broke. so that was a waste of ten bucks. i only got to use like a third of it.

do you guys think it's too late in the season to top her again? i kinda wanna top the 4 main cola's and turn them into a nice 8. I mean theres gotta be like 4 weeks of flowering left

6. Before i topped her
    [​IMG]
    After.
    [​IMG]
    The aftermath.
    [​IMG]

Do you guys think I took off too much? I hope not. I think she's gonna be a monster now.

7. #47 ConiferCannabis, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
    I woke up at 4:30 today still a little drunk and for some reason couldn't fall back asleep. So I thought I'd go check on my baby and water her/watch the sunrise. On my way out to the tree it was still kinda dark in the woods, but just getting light enough to see. I crossed paths with a pileated woodpecker which was cool as well as a small heard of dear. also cool. No new sprouts have popped up from my topping, but its only been 2 days and it hasn't been very sunny. I took the tinfoil off my bag to expose the soil more and give it some water. Normally when I water ive been giving her a half bottle of poland spring water each time. Usually about a quarter of that is excess and runs out of the holes at the bottom of the bag. Today though i gave her a full bottle and there was no leaking out the bottom of the bag. Maybe something was up with my tin foil and when i watered i thought it was seeping through into the bag but was just running off the side and dripping off the bottom. That could explain the usual drip. Or maybe she was just really thirsty today i donno. I'm going back to bed. :smoking:

How can I tell if shes in flowering yet? Probably a stupid question. I just know it'll happen this month sometime and im hoping i didn't top her to late in the season.

8. so i topped her monday and it's friday now. still no new cola's. its been rainy a couple days this week though, do you think that coulda caused them to take longer to regrow?

9. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man, but it looks like you topped it too far down on the stem. Really all you need to pinch off to top is the newly formed leaves/stem that forms between the two Y shaped branches. You basically wanna take it down to right above the Y.

10. #50 ConiferCannabis, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
    yeah i guess the lesson learned is don't tend to your plants when you're drunk because you make hasty decisions. So much for a remotely alright one plant harvest. For some reason I thought you were suppose to top them a couple nodes down.

11. #51 4four2twenty0, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
    It will work, but man, you just lost some major bud in the fall. EDIT just took a closer look at the pics, and I doubt there will be any new growth where you made your cut offs. Sorry dude, but its a learning process. This is the most interesting grow on GC as far as im concerned.

12. Very cool grow, how many feet up that tree are you?? Dont sweat the topping incident, you will still get some great bud!!

13. Thanks man! I'm pretty bummed considering I probably cut my harvest in half. But I got a job recently. so a grow cab will be in the works soon. gives me something to look forward too other than my small ass harvest.

Thanks Sweetleaves. I'm about 58 ft up in the tree. Hopefully she'll still produce some dankness.

I've been bummed for a bit and didn't check her for a while. Plus we've had gnarly rains. and even a couple tornados which is way unlikely considering how north i am. oh well it was bad ass and didn't damage my plant.

Here she is. I've been calling her mini-me since I butchered her.
    [​IMG]

I got a pretty sick shot of a baby frog from the stream near my tree.
    [​IMG]

I'm ready to move indoors, learn from my mistakes, stop having to hike then climb that tree, and grow the convenient way. in a closet or something.

14. ive heard of such grows in a tree ,but to actually see one in progress is cool
    58 feet up wow
    good luck Im 48 so I will keep my feet on the ground for my grows
    Im doing some purplemaroc and nev haze this year and would love to post pics ,but not that computer savy thier doing fine and thats all that matters
    in fact the purplemaroc has been flowering for 3 weeks now (from femaleseeds.nl )
    nice looking plants

again good luck and thanks for putting in all that work and showing us :smoking:

15. ah classic tree grow, some great entertainment here. definitely sub'd:smoke: good luck

16. #56 fuzz420, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2010
    :-D dont let everyone get you down man you achieved what you needed to by topping it just takes a little while to react sometimes especially when it seems so focused on verticle growth!!! great job you see ppl post about this all the time but u never see anyone with the balls to do it lol mad props!!! next time you feel like topping though id give supercropping a try :-D its great! and if your stem snaps wrong well then u topped by accident no big thing

anyway good luck and keep up the good work :-D

edit:wow didnt see the last 2 pics shes way bushier than before :-D great job you should bring that frog up for protection lol build him a little hut in the soil...itd be great lol

17. #57 ConiferCannabis, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks alien! It's not that much work though. This is my the furthest I've ever gotten in a grow and needless to say i've been taking a million pictures. Putting them up online is easy compared to going out there etc.

70's:
    Thanks 70's! Glad you stopped by and are diggin it. Your grow's awesome man.

Fuzz:
    Thanks for the props man! I was gonna go for super cropping, but the last time I did it the strong wind up in my tree majorly weekend the bend. I couldnt figure out a way to support it if i super cropped again..so i topped. Oh well though i'm over being bummed about it. All of nodes near where I butchered my topping have now grown up past the topped branches. You can barely tell they are there now. Its funny you mention putting a frog up there. I almost fell outa the tree today when one jumped out of one of the flaps in my soil bag as i was watern. Bastard hit me right in the chin haha.

I'm gonna continue with my bat guano fert for the rest of veg i guess. Then im gonna switch over to some pura vida bloom. people seem to be getting some good results with that stuff. I figure the nugs i got my seed from were dank so if I play my cards right i can still have some dankness come harvest time. even if its not in the quantity i had originally hoped for.

18. #58 ConiferCannabis, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
    So, I've pretty much regained all growth from before I messed up topping. Only shes definitely more bushy this time around, but also just as tall as before. I'm not gonna put any pics up for a bit. I'm gonna start using puravida bloom this upcoming week. I wanna upload a pic of her the day I start using bloom as well as 3, 7, 9, and 14 day updates all in one whack so the progress will be easy to see. Not that too many people are waiting on the edge of there seats for this grow, but if one of you does exist sit tight cause i reckon there ain't gonna be no pics for a good fortnight :smoking:

The 2 little offshoot branches in the bottom left make me laugh. it's like I've got two separate plants going. You can't see it in this picture, but there another off shoot of similar size in the bottom left cut off in this shot. The main bush part is pretty thick though. looks like i'll have at least 5-6 top nugs.:D
    [​IMG]

Here's a side shot so people can see her thickness. I'm hoping she'll fill out a little bit more. I want fatties not a shit load of little popcorn nuggets. Sorry the quality is a haggard on this one. Its hard to focus on the side of the plant with all that green backdrop.
    [​IMG]

19. + rep but those are lacking sun I think.

20. yeah they definitely are. the trees i trimmed to open up the canopy grew in more in places that i cant really reach with my pole saw. it sucks, but theres not much i can do about it at this point