Hi, I'm new.. and confused...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MissSippiHippie, Jul 24, 2010.

1. *Alright, first off, I've never used a "forum" before so I probably put this message in the wrong spot, if I did, please kindly remove it or move it and let me know how to do it next time.

Um, I'm MissSippiHippie, and I'm from, duh, Mississippi..

I would like to start growing my own but after reading up on it for the past couple of days it looks a lot harder and more expensive than I thought it would be.

I had a particular need for it, and the strain I was told was the best was one of the Indicas. I was sent to a seed bank site in Canada and OHMYGOD.. $250 for 10 seeds. I DON'T HAVE THAT!

Now. I want to grow for the main reason of knowing what's in and what's not in my grass.

Secondly, I need some pain/stress relief.

I'm just feeling really intimidated and need some boost.

The area I wanted to grow in is a shelf in my laundry room, about 2' x 3'. That's all I got.

I don't know where to get timers and stuff like that. The lights confused me as well.

I read from some posts on here that I could use CFL *curly?* bulbs as well as bag seed.

Could one elaborate on the CFL for me?

Also, I was wondering if someone knows someplace I can get some Indica seeds for cheap,.. The most I can possibly pay is $5 per seed, cause I still got to figure up lights and shit.

Thank you everyone who has the patience to read this. I am completely new, and need any and all advice I can get. Thanks again,

Peace, K.

2. You can get a dozen seeds for $50 or so from good seed banks such as Highgrade Seeds, but frankly don't buy seeds until you've done a couple of bagseed grows.

It doesn't have to be expensive either from a setup standpoint.

Welcome to the City.

3. hi MissSippiHippie, welcome to grasscity:hello:

i was once new and confused myself, so i can relate.

the first thing you to consider is that in order for mj to flower it needs at least 12 hours of uninterrupted complete darkness each night. you had mentioned you wanted to grow on a small shelf in the laundry room and im not sure how you would make that light tight.

i use 4' shop lights for vegging but i think the curly ones work as well. just remember light = buds. you can get timers at lowes or home depot. i highly encourage you to get one. a ph kit is very handy too, especially if you start running into problems. dont use any potting soil with time release ferts unless you treat it with lime first.

as far as getting seeds goes, grasscity has a link to buy seeds. also the attitude sells single seeds which might be better since you dont have alot of $ to invest. you can get a surprising amount from one plant if you do it right.

i hope this helps. if you have questions, just let me know and ill do my best to help you out.

see ya,

farmerjane

4. FarmerJane,

I know this may sound like I'm completely ignorant, but how many lights (if I were to use the 4' flourescents) would I need per plant?

The laundry room has no windows and the back door is light-tight, I could hang a blanket on the outside of the laudry room door that opens into the kitchen.

Could you give me a list of everything I would need to start up and grow, say 6-8 plants?

I need to know exactly what I have to get, and I don't want to get the wrong things.

I know there's the timer- what kind? Is there a certain one?
    the lights-that's where I'm confused.. what kind? Cool white, warm white, grow, aquarium, terrarium /?????
    soil-I know it has to be specific
    fertilizer?
    what's a ph kit?

Just reply please with a start up shopping list of everything I'm gonna need to grow 6-8 plants. I can get it, I just need to know what I need! I'm gonna print your list and go shopping!! lol :)

Thanks so much, Mary in Miss'Sippi...

5. Well, I'd rather try with bagseed first to be honest, just so I don't screw up and waste LOTS of money in seeds.. lol

My problem is the guy who was supposed to get me some bagseed hasn't shown up in.. over a week..

So I'm gonna get my shit together and maybe get someone to donate a seed or two! lol :D

Mary in Miss'Sippi

6. 100w minimum CFL per plant. 6500k (daylight) for vegging, 2700k (warm) for flowering.

Although if you want to grow 8 plants I wouldn't consider CFLs, you'd need to get like 50 CFL bulbs haha.

7. Okay, see I'd rather use the 4' flourescents, how many would I need and what kind?

Mary in Miss'Sippi

8. I have never grown before but some of your questions are common knowledge so I can help you out.

The timer: Just go to home depot, home hardware, or wherever you buy home improvement things, and ask someone who works there for Christmas light timers. Or "Holiday" light timers if you want to be politically correct lol.

I believe by "Curly" bulbs they mean this: Click Here.

Finally a"ph kit" is essentially a kit that measures the ph (acidity) levels of your water. Plants can't grow if there is too much or too little acidity in the water. A ph kit would consist of some some litmus papers to measure the ph levels.

9. If the water wasn't the right ph how do you fix it?
    I don't think i'll be able to use the curly cfls.. it'll take too many! lol

right now it's the soil and lights that confuse me. I need to know exactly what kind of light bulbs to get that are effective and affordable. I guess i'll be using 4' flourescents, but I don't know how many or what kind.

10. Chemicals to increase or decrease your ph levels should come with the kit, but I'm pretty sure you could add vinegar to water to make it more acidic or something else to make it more alkali.

And the lights..
    \t

That means for every plant you grow you should have one 100w CFL bulb. Since you said your growing in a laundry room I can't imagine you'll be growing a lot of plants. I think you can also get more powerful lights and use one light for more than one plant but the light would have to be higher from the plants.

11. k I think I'm gonna downsize my original plan.

alright. I went to the page about lighting-

"2. Fluorescent lamps -The fluorescent lamp is well suited for indoor plant growth,
    especially “High-Output” T5 fluorescent lamps. Fluorescent lamps are 3-7 times more
    efficient than incandescent lamps meaning you will use less electricity for the same
    amount of light. Fluorescent bulbs come in a wide spectrum of light, 6500K grow bulbs
    have more light on the blue end so they promote bushiness in plants whereas the 3000K bloom bulbs have more light in the red end of the spectrum so they promote flowering. However, these lights have a low light output, meaning you need to keep the lights within a few inches of the tops of plants. This means that fluorescent lights are not usually a good light source for big plants (over 3 feet). You can use fluorescents with big plants if you have lights above and along the side of the plant.

3. High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps - These include metal halide (MH) and high
    pressure sodium (HPS). These lights are traditionally used for lighting large areas such
    as gymnasiums, warehouses and parking lots. Today, they are the primary choice for
    indoor plant growth. HID lamps are 4-8 times more efficient than incandescent lamps.
    These lamps have a high light output, (and produce a lot of heat) so they should be
    placed about two feet or more above the top of the plants. Metal halide lights have a
    wider range of wavelengths so they are a good all purpose light able to be used in all
    stages of plant growth, seedling, vegetative and flowering. I use high pressure sodium which have a higher intensity of light per watt compared to MH, but they also emit more red and yellow light. This is great for promoting flowering and fruit. In spite of this, they are not the best light source for seedlings. A MH conversion bulb is a good option for vegetative growing plants, but it may be more economical if you have the room to have one area with fluorescent lights for seedlings, and young plants, and when the plants get bigger put them in another area where you promote flowering."

Okay, which is cheaper/easier flourescents (curly or long), or HID, MH?

If say, I were to grow.... 4 plants maximum.

I think I may have gotten confused when I read somewhere that you couldn't use one or the other for seedlings, and something about one of them wouldn't work for flowering/growing quality buds...

Shit, I wish this wasn't so complicated! lol

Mary in Miss'Sippi

12. I posted this in your other thread dunno if ya saw it :smoking:

I think you need to step back Ms Hippie and realize there isn't that much to really have to know or buy to grow some of your own fire

Main things you need is:

Pots - Do yourself a favor and buy some real pots. This way you know how much soil is in them and that they are clean, also milk jugs will let light through and light + roots creates all sorts of problems. A 1 foot plant will be happy in a 1 gallon pot. A 3 foot plant will be happy in a 3 gallon pot and so on.

Soil - Buy organic soil if it is available. Try to avoid soil with time-release nutrients.

Seeds - If you are willing, I'd buy some seeds online that fit your grow expectations and skill level. I know first time is supposed to be with bagseed, but if you buy online at least you'll know what to expect somewhat.

Lights - 6500k for veg. 2700k for flower. I'd pick up at least 6 of each spectrum, and you can supplement them with smaller CFLs if you want. I wouldn't start off trying to grow more than 3 plants really. For a new grower, trying to manage the 6-8 you say you want to try will be very hard especially if you are thinking of giving up before even starting.

Fan - Your plants need air circulation and wind to grow big and strong. Think of wind as exercise for the plants that promote stem strengthening and help fight stretching. You don't need anything huge like a window box fan either.

Nutrients - You want nutrients/ferts with a 2-1-2 ratio for veg and a 1-3-1 ratio for flower. The amount of N-P-K is what the numbers represent. (Example: Nutes with 10-5-10 for veg and 5-15-5 for flower would be fine)

And last but definitely not least. WATER! The biggest mistake new growers make is overwatering followed closely by underwatering haha. Seedlings should be watered every 3 or so days, mature plants maybe twice a week or just once if your pots are big enough.

13. Hi, I'm new but I'll contribute what I can.

MJ needs 3 things to grow. Water, Light and a Medium.

Medium ->First grows I usually see people recommending soil. For soil I have seen the recommended pot sizes being 1 gallon/foot you plan on growing the plant. A soil recommendation usually I see Fox Farms Ocean Farms.

Water -> Buy Distilled or let your tap water sit out for a day so it evaporates the Chlorine in it. Distilled preferred.

Light -> MJ plants have life cycles like a human being, seed, seedling, vegetative, flowering (I pry screwed that up). during seed, seedling, and vegetative you want to provide CFL's that are rated 6500K. Once you choose to start flowering (shorten light amount) change to 2700K rated bulbs.

You will need 50n + 50 watts where n is the number of plants . . . hehe the easy way is 100 watts for the first plant and 50 watts after. When buying CFLs you want to look at the actually wattage not the equivilant.

I can't give you a start up shopping list because I dont know what you have available in your area. You're going to have to adapt on your own and make it work, that's part of what it's about.

If you want/need anything else PM me but it won't be as good as the advice others here can offer.

14. what do you mean "choose to start flowering".? I thought that was up to the plant?

Mary in Miss'Sippi

15. You can potentially have a marijuana plant vegging for as long as you want/can keep it alive indoors. As soon as you switch to 12/12 lighting though, it triggers the plant into thinking fall is approaching so it flowers.

16. Actually it's up to the tilt on earth's axis ;).

In nature the seasons can trigger changes in the plants biology that set it into different life stages.

If you mimic the summer months (e.g. leave long days on 18/6 or 24/0) you can do this as long as you want. But it will never flower it will just get bigger and bigger.

When you choose to change the light cycle the resemble fall or winter (12/12) the plant biology changes to start flowering -> buds (what you want =D)

17. How long should I let one veg before I initiate bloom phase?

18. As long or short as you want.

I veg about a month, you can expect the plant to double or triple in size when you switch it. (I've only ever had it double)

So gauge based on space, desired yield and skill imo.

19. So, preflowers are like, suckers?

What would happen if I didn't start the 12/12 at sign of preflowers? Would it mean less buds?

What do you do with the leaves? Keep?

Mary in Miss'Sippi