Hi from a very paranoid new member.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by peebygeeby, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Hi folks,

I'm brand new here. I recently thought it would be great to grow a couple of plants for my own personal use. So, I went ahead and bought a tent set up which I have set up in my garage that is separate from my house. The garage has it's own electric supply and meter. It is never used and generates very little electrical usage. So, then it dawns on me that this is going to raise a red flag. All of a sudden the meter usage goes way up. So, then I thought maybe it would be better to run an extension cord from my house to the garage to run my equipment. There would be a spike in my electrical usage on my house meter, but .... I don't think it would be as conspicuous as running the electric in the garage. So now I have some legal herbs and tomatoes growing in my tent:D but, no pot.:( I'm not doing anything large scale here, but I will be running high output lights and a humidifier. I really don't know how much of a spike in usage there will be.
    I have also thought that maybe I should just lay low for a while and continue growing my legal veggies and see if it draws any attention before I go ahead and plant weed. I REALLY WANNA GROW SOME WEED! but, I'm really nervous about this. So......any comments, ideas, personal experiences are welcome. THANX!:D

2. If you always pay your bill on time, the electric company won't care how much juice you use.

3. and also they have no way of knowing whats using the electricity...a big screen tv, computer, dryer...i have a 1200w space heater that i use sometimes...they cant tell the difference...

4. ^^^^i second this

as a rule of thumb Ive always heard never go over 5k watts,
    and i guess if your really paranoid don't go over 1000

but you said you were gonna keep it small
    i don't see how a 400-1000 watt setup with humidifier and fans will raise a red flag

they'll think you got a jacuzzi or something and be glad their raking in their cash

grow on man, itll be fine:smoke:

5. Dude there are so many electric bills, no ones looking at that shit.

Just think, every house around you pays the same bill. People add computers, tvs, appliances, heat, air conditioning, sprinkler systems etc all year round. Im sure jumps are common.

edit: obviously if youre growing to become king dank the marijuana lord with 20 1000 watt lights its a different issue. but for a personal setup i think smell, ordering seeds etc are more risky than an increase in power usage.

6. Since I've started my grow, there has been no visible difference in my electric bill. I'm using cfl's, a fan, and a small heater, and none of it has so much as put a dent in my overall usage per month.
    Like I said, pay your bill, and they won't care.

7. Ull be fine man hell for all they know u put a big freezer in ur garage to keep extra food I read somewhere that red flags kick in at 6000 watts throw a 600watter in there and ur totally safe my electric bill went up about 60 bones and I have a 600 watt that I run 24/7 during veg chances are if the cops are watching ur usage they already have shit on u and there just building a stronger case follow the rules under 6000 watts which ur no where close to don't tell ANYONE about ur grow and pay ur bill on time hell even that one I fuck up on I pay mine once every 3 months lol I think its a blessing to have that garage with a seperate meter but then again maybe not for me cuz I would break the 6000 watt rule lol happy growin man

8. Ps anything u order online don't get them sent to where ur growing that's a big no no oh and don't buy any lights made in china hahaha jk... but seriously

9. That's true only for seeds or other illegal contraband. Absolutely nothing wrong with having lights, ferts, filters, fans, etc. sent to your home, these are legal purchases.

10. i have actually gotten loads better remembering to turn off useless lights in my house because i was worried about my bills spiking, we've got 4 four foot shop lights, 2 two foot ones, a few cfls, and fans, i've probably lowered my bill cause i keep lights on only in the room i'm in now

11. For all they know, You hooked up a 50 amp welder with 2 30 amp compessors motors becouse you just started up your own small auto repair company. the power company doesnt care. Shoot ther prob just happy that meter is spining and they can collect more money from you. Just pay the bill on time. they dont care how you use the electricity

12. ~1000w increase is when a power company will notice.
    I know that they sometimes check to make sure someone else isn't stealing your power when increases like that happen.
    In a garage I don't think would be a big deal since you could have just put in a heater, or more lights, or power tools...etc

13. Thanx for all your replies. And, I think your probably right, it's a garage that has been set up with heat and a separate phone line, and I imagine at some point whoever lived here utilized that space as an office or workshop. I never have until now. Hopefully the electric company will just cash the checks and leave me alone:) It's a shame that any of us have to deal with this stupid paranoid shit!
    Even if I didn't like to smoke weed I would still want to grow it....mostly because I really resent a government telling me I can't grow a plant when I am not trying to influence anybody else's behavior with it or trying to profit from it. I JUST WANT TO GROW A COUPLE OF PLANTS FOR ME!
    They will never be able to totally control it, and are just wasting taxpayer's money by trying to.
    THERE! I've vented, I feel better now!:D Thanks again for your replies, I'll keep your current on my progress.

Peeb.

14. ha Fo Real, I have a Space heater that can be switched from 1200w to 1500w too. Shit, the little fountain pump in my Mini Pond in my front lawn uses twice that juice. You be fine no doubt.

15. It is good to be cautious though, if youre putting that much thought into this im sure youre learning enough about growing as well to do good.

Im waiting on the first power bill now, im hoping no more than 40 extra bucks.

16. I hope that works out for ya, myself with 2k watts of light, heat, dehumidifier, ac,etc etc etc. my bill has more than tripled:eek:

17. Burn them watts baby!!!:metal:

18. A seperate garage and meter is perfect............You will know exactly what your cost is. The electric company will be happy.......Dont be paranoid, Just follow the security rules and you will be fine. Get started now...........pop a few beans and get your feet wet.
    peace B

19. My 400W HPS/MH costs me about $25 a month to run...my welder costs 5 times that if I forget to turn it off... if anyone ever questions you, which will never happen, your doing artistic welding in that garage and it's none of their dam biz...Be conservative with the electric and you won't draw any attention from it. Grow da dank and your biggest concern will be smell during flowering. Which is also covered in this forum by carbon filters and other techniques. It's better to be paranoid than busted, always remember that...