!!HEY! 400W HPS Question!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by B.I.G.fan, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Hello to the masses and thank you for taking the time to read this question. I've acquired a 400W HPS lamp with the ballast imbedded inside the system. It gets particularily hot inside my 5ft. H X 3ft. W X 3ft. D closet to run it...approximately 86-88degrees as there is not yet an exaust in the system. However, airflow isn't really a problem because I can open the door during the day to get some movement. My question is, will 6 seedlings (approx. 1 week from seed) be able to withstand the intense light from this system, and if so at what height should the bulb be from their tops? BTW, I have the HPS light/lumens/heighthart but was still curious. Right now they are under 273W (actual not equivalent) of fluorescents. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    -B.I.G.

2. Keep them under the fluorescents untill around 6" tall, or keep the lamp 3' away. I feel it's a bad idea to leave the door open to provide cooling and fresh air to your grow. It might be ok during veg cycle to leave the door open, but you will have to leave it open 24 hours a day. During your flower cycle you will need 100% darkness 12 hours a day. Not able to control odor and light leaks will make keeping the door open a bit of an issue.

Any time you hook up a HID lamp, you have to make plans for some kick ass ventilation.