hermaphradite issues

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by hilifer, Feb 14, 2010.

1. #1 hilifer, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
    Hi everyone , i have a problem that i need a answer to ! I have a clone that i used for a mother plant for a short while , I took some clones off it then put it in my flower room and the clones are in another veg room , now the mother plant is 3 weeks into flowering and it has grown male flowers on the bottoms of the small buds over the plant and the veged clones have just gone into 12/12 light cycle , question will the clones grow the male flowers just like the mother plant has ? the mother plant was under a cooled 250 watt hps , air conditioned to 25 deg , ph of 5.8-6.3 since i`ve got 8 clones under a cooled 400 watt hps that are the exact same plant as the mother plant , Am i wasting my time hoping these clones do not go hermaphradite like their mum ???:confused:

Attached Files:

2. #2 LBH, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
    "Lessismore" is a member here,...look him up, he'll have the exact answer for you. Breeding is his "thing"

Just to clear the way for him to answer let's eliminate the obvious. Are you positive there are no light leaks and the plants haven't been subject to any chemicals including things like paint fumes, fuel fumes, etc?

Good Luck man!!

3. THANKS lbh , i have no light leaks during my dark cycle and no chemicals like paint fumes or others exposed to the plants . I dont know the origins of this mother clone cause it was given to me by a friend who cant remember which one of his plants he got it from cause of landlord problems , I`ll look up lessismore and go from there .

4. If you're sure the plants had a nice stable environment, as you seem to be, then you can probably assume the clones will also herme. It's best to move on and hope for better genes.

5. My guess is it was a cutting off a plant grown from feminised seed. Not all breeders take thier time in producing fem seeds, which can carry over into the cuttings. We have to also remember that taking a cutting may not be considered a form of stress, however it is. Taking too many cuttings from a mother can cause some severe stress.

If it was not from feminised seed, then we must think of it as a recessive trait from F2 seeds which are most likely has genetics from more land race varieties. Many land races can carry hermie traits which can be passed down to the offspring.

That being said, there is no way to tell. How many cuttings did you take from her? That could be just enough to cause some hermie issues. In that case chances are the cuts will be fine. If it is a recessive trait from an F2 plant, then most likely they will hermie too.

Good luck, but honestly, from what you explained in your first post, is you stressed the mother by taking to many cuttings off her, then throwing her right into flowering. So your cutngs should grow just fine.

6. Thankyou very much lessismore , there was about 12 cuttings taken from this mother plant , 8 on the first cut , 2 on the second and another two the day i put it into my flower room , I`m going to take the chance that i shocked the mother to hermie and keep in my 8 clones just to see if i have problems with this strain or not as its a very good strain to grow thanks again for your advice and knowledge lessismore.

7. Told Ya ;):D

8. Dutchmaster makes a product called "reverse" that you spray on your plants after they hermie and is supposed to bring them back to girls. I have heard it works great. And in your case maybe a great solution.

9. If you read up on other forums, the overall consensus of Dutchmasters reverse is it is "Snake Oil".

A male and/or female plant is determined by the ratio of giberillins to ethylene. Dutchmasters Reverse is made to inhibit giberlic production and promote ethylene. There are strains that are genetically prone to hermie, so there is no way Reverse will work to overcome that. For strains that have a slight tendency to pop pods late in flowering, it will sometimes overcome the giberillin/ethylene ratio, and kill the pods; however not all the time. Quite honestly, plain water will kill pollen, and that is all reverse seems to accomplish.

I used Dutchmasters a few yrs ago; IMHO it is too weak, in other words, it comes in very low concentrations which means you have to use more to accomplish the same feeding as most other lines of nutes; so you go through it quicker. MHO is Dutchmasters Reverse is all hype, and their whole line is way overpriced for what you get.

10. Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can help me I got another problem it seems my vanilla Kush may be a Herme from the pictures I've seen the other Hermes it may not be but unfortunately I can't post pics so I can't get an opinion on it but it looks like little sacks are in between the bud but the sacks are opening into flowers not seeds are the still Hermes. if they are Hermes I'm just thinking about letting them stay in they might have already pollinated my other plants if so I'll have a cross between super lemon haze and Barney's Farm vanilla Kush seems like a win-win situation Lol