Hempy alternative thread

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by growmymeds, Jan 15, 2019.

1. I'm trying to grow Hempy style in hemp and thought maybe a thread for alternatives to perlite might be in order.... @ClydeWalters hint hint

My first try started with nute problems so I'll be cutting clones tomorrow and trying again. Until then I'll post up some pics of the current try when the light come back on.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

2. [​IMG]

24 hours after washing
    [​IMG]

These are Rice Hulls. And I’ll be running the very first Ricey Bucket in the world I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. the 2nd photo is to illustrate that they DO indeed hold moisture. well.

4. Nice. I'll take some pics of the hemp fiber and get it washed tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. word. hemp in hemp. hemp ON hemp ;) very like... close to my heart

• Like Like x 1
  6. If this works dont forget where it came from ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. lol i think we both thought of it, you were just vocal about it firt ;) lol i'm jp, im pretty curious at this point. just want to be able to say "hey it works decent"

• Like Like x 2
  8. OK here's my hemp Hempy solo at day 31 of 12/12. She's not winning any awards for weight, but looks pretty good for a first try.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey that Lil girls awesome!!! Lol!

I was thinking about running a Ricey Cup to test it out on. Might just go full on Ricey Bucket tho :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  10. So here is the hemp fiber I'm using. It's meant for micro greens and is attached to paper. I separate it from the paper and shred it up. Then soaked in 5.7 pH water with some weak nutes and GFF. The runoff after soaking went up to 5.8, seems pretty stable. I put it in a pot for now, should have a clone for it in a few days. It was a pretty small pack of fiber, so this will be for a bonsai plant. I have a clone cut of Mango from KC Brains that I'll be using.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Interesting for sure!

I wonder how it will perform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Me too. The first one got super stunted, yellow, droopy and almost translucent. It came back tho after switching nutes and adding GFF. I'm hoping the next round will start better and then we can see what it'll do. I need to find a source for larger quantities tho. Wanted to experiment since hemp is starting to gain ground, but all I could find for now was these little packs. I might try getting hemp rope and chopping it up. That was my first idea anyways.

13. Man u guys must be bored lol. I love to try things, but no ambition to grow in anything but soil. Of course I'm going to watch.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

14. Little bit bored, little bit curious. I've always liked trying new things in my grow. Sure I could set it up to basically take care of itself, but as a hobby a bit of variation keeps it interesting. This hemp thing kinda got me going tho. Soon there will be plenty of hemp fiber leftover from cbd farms. If it could be used as a medium that would be a great benefit. More income for hemp farms, less waste transporting Coco, perlite, peat.. Just seemed like something that needed to be done.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Subbed up! I’m going to get that bucket made up soon and I’ll post it.

Y’all may wanna think about adding vermiculite. I read a post last night about the buffering ability of vermiculite could solve a lot of problems!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. #17 growmymeds, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Got a Blue Candy setup in a larger Kratky bucket. Will update with more tonight.

[​IMG]

17. So, here she is. I cut down an old pot and drilled extra holes. Filled with a blend of rockwool batt and croutons. Will update when she reaches out some roots.[​IMG][​IMG]

18. Interesting.

19. Well maybe I will try a oatmeal or maybe cat liter grow

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1