Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

help!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Qurly54, May 13, 2011.

1. algie in my dwc i know to much light getting in, i fixed that now what can i do some roots are green anyone have any advice :confused: yea you guess it i`m a newbe

2. 30% H2o2..... Good luck

3. Id drain and clean everything with H2o2. Then trim off any brown/rotting/slimy roots and refill your rez with fresh solution with a bit of H2o2.

Your ladies will be slow to recover for a day or 2 but they will appreciate the doosh

4. thanks everyone for the info

5. I would recommend you to wash your buckets ,air tubes and air stones every week with chlorine as well if your system design allowed you to do so.

6. Are your roots green or brownish? I've never heard of green roots so sorry that I can't help. But if the roots are brown, or get brown, I would try to find out if there is chloramine(s) in my water. Some cities have chloramine(s) in the tap-water, which does not evaporate if you leave the water out to sit. When your roots hit the nutrient solution, if chloramine(s) are present, your roots will turn brown and rot. If you don't have chloramines in your water, sorry for wasting your time. But if you do, buy distilled water or get an RO water purification system that has a special filter for the chloramines. If I was in your situation I might start over and start using the Dutch Master line of nutes and additives on the new grow. Specifically the Dutch Master ZONE. The ZONE kills off all bacteria so don't use beneficial bacteria with it. PLEASE NOTE: I am new to hydroponics so this info. is just based on what I have experienced. Peace.

7. Oh... and make sure to control the temperature of your nutrient solution if you use the Dutch Master ZONE. Peace.

8. #9 fyrhazzrd, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    That is not 100% accurate. My water I use has chloamine and have never had problems with root rot. My roots have always been white. Unless I use a b vitamins supplement. Then they will tint brown a little.

9. Oh sorry dude! I apologize for the mis-information. I assumed that chloramine was killing my roots because where I live supposedly has chloramine in the tap-water. Every time I used tap-water, my roots were getting burnt and turning brown... even after I let the water sit out for 24 hours. That would be totally cool if I could start using my tap-water again! Maybe I should add an airstone to the collected tap-water and wait longer for the regular chlorine to bubble out.

10. Yeah Chloramine will not evaporate, however you can boil it out if you wish. There could possibly be another mineral in your water that is turning your roots brown. But I doubt it is the Chloramine; since it is just Chlorine and Hydrogen (I think). Chlorine will not kill your roots, it is actually a compound that the plants like to have (in small doses).. And I don't think hydrogen will kill your roots either since people use hydrogen peroxide to whiten them up.

I would love to find an RO system that will get rid of Chloramine, but I have not found an affordable one yet that will. The cheapest one that I have found that will is well over a thousand dollars.

11. #12 sunndropper, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    I have this water purification system chart, out of the Sunlight Supply, Inc. 2011 Product Catalog. On the chart, it is marked that the Hydro-Logic Stealth-RO100 system, "partially" reduces chloramines. Then, on the replacement & upgrade filters section, there is a replacement & upgrade filter, for the Stealth-RO100, that says that, "yes" it does, "reduce" chlormaines. So in the, "Reduces Chloramines" column, this replacement & upgrade filter is marked as, "Yes" while some are marked as, "Partially". This is real tricky wording but it made me think that using this upgrade filter would make the water suitable for growing. The name of this upgrade filter is, "KDF85/Catalytic Carbon Upgrade Filter" and is for the Stealth-RO 100/200 & Small Boy.

So the total cost of the Hydro-Logic Stealth-RO100 system is around $224, plus $39 for the upgrade filter.

12. See the wording says reduces... If it reduces it by .0001 parts per million. Then it has lived up to it's wording.. For veg I can't have any chloramine whatsoever. So I need something that actually eliminates chloramine. And that is the hard part. The reason I need something that eliminates chloramine is that I use beneficials in Veg and chloramine will kill all beneficials on contact.

13. #14 sunndropper, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
    Exactly. I just am used to buying distilled water from the grocery store. It's easy for me because I only use like a five or six gallon reservoir at a time. I would never do this if I had a large reservoir though. I can totally see what a dilema it is with the only RO system that removes, "all" of the chloramines costing over a thousand. That sucks man! What do people do?

14. Before I was buying distilled water to make a nutrient solution with. Now I am buying Drinking Water to use in my system. I have to do allot of carrying to get the water from the grocery store and into my system. Soon I hope to have a water filter so I can just have endless water at my disposal instead of having to buy it from the grocery store.

15. [quote name='"sunndropper"']Before I was buying distilled water to make a nutrient solution with. Now I am buying Drinking Water to use in my system. I have to do allot of carrying to get the water from the grocery store and into my system. Soon I hope to have a water filter so I can just have endless water at my disposal instead of having to buy it from the grocery store.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the cheap system from pure removes all contaminates in water.....why don't you try it? Its only 64 dollars

16. 64 dollars?!! That is an awesome price.

17. PureWaterClub.com

64 bucks..... fast shipping... little rough to get a hold of them about questions or warantee info, but they answer none the less