Help! Yellow veins on seedlings

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Rcass, Aug 7, 2022.

2. Lowered EC to .5 (250 ppm) and set lights 20” at 350 Ppfd. Any ideas or are they done for considering this is week three and they are autos

Attached Files:

4. crossed fingers at this point. Three weeks huh?

• Like Like x 1
  5. #26 Rcass, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Yes, I give them another few days and see. Any ideas of cause? My guess, cause - grower :frown:

6. I guess its a combination of factors that lead to an undesired environment starting with EC.
    Your system is recirculating, right? Have you ever looked at the feeding schedule recommended by CCH2O?
    Note the EC/TDS levels...
    upload_2022-8-9_14-23-43.png
    I've found that this information is mostly accurate for the kind of hydro we are doing.
    But I did point out the two week start using clonex (@5ml/L), and that EC is pretty high, although the methods are very different.

And I know you mentioned your water is fine with house plants; mine is ~EC 440 and is hard water (ie. lots of alkalinity/calcium) and I use it to feed my plants as well, but I don't use it to start plants. I use RO water. And in DTW I use it, and in potted mixes, as long as I try to neutralize the carbonate in it, and, ime, also takes time. But in my hydro setup, I only use RO water. I had to purchase a system, like $250 or so, with an added DI column in the end. I don't mind though, since I hooked the line to the fridge and its nice to have a glass of RO once in a while.

Anyhow, I think your plants have a good chance of perking up. You can buy a re-circulating chiller, or add ice jugs like I suggested for now, since you just need two empty jugs of bleach. Also try those bennies I suggested, ie. EarthAlive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. #28 Rcass, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    I don’t use tap, I have a water distiller. Starting at 0 PPM just made it easier to get below 300. Tap comes out close to200 which isn’t terrible I just don’t know what that 200 is like all of us. It just blows me away how the manufacturers of these different feeding schedules are so different. I’m definitely gonna print this one out and throwing up behind my mixing station. Fox Farms is great at telling you they’re organic stuff works great in these systems, I ran it once over a year ago. As of today I’m still cleaning that crap out of my system. Sure organic I guess sounds good but I’ll never do it again. Just a mess to clean up after a run. And I try to run a sterile environment with using 120° water alcohol and hydrogen peroxide to run through the whole system. And still like find remnants of Fox Farms

• Like Like x 1
  8. Although I sometimes recommend this (for bad contamination), I wouldn't bother with that. I keep this article bookmarked to explain to others.
    7 Facts That Will Make You Rethink the "Sterility" of Hydroponics | ZipGrow Inc.

I'll wipe the muck off the top of the reservoir from time to time, but that's about it. You want colonization from beneficial organisms; it helps growth and prevents opportunistic organisms from taking hold.

RO/DI water ftw ;)

9. I’m speechless, so much bad advice out there in this, I’ll call it industry. Thanks tg!

• Like Like x 1
  10. #31 Rcass, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    Here is the last of the LSD 25 Auto for current run. Thoughts? Healthy or is the yellowing setting in as well. Until now I would have said healthy, but considering the others, I’m lost. 200PPFD, 69 deg water, 0.5 EC, 50% RH, 6.1 PH, 77 deg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. its ok, just really small for three weeks. Give em a week and go from there because you've changed quite a bit so far.
    I also run my pH lower than that, about 5.8, sometimes 5.5, sometimes 6.1. It depends which way the pH is changing over time. Best to aim for ~5.8.

12. My bad this is 2 weeks different, I alternate by a week in order not to have to rush trimming. Popped this passed Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Also keeping in the(or trying to) ranges you sent me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. #35 Rcass, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    Hi folks, This seedling LSD 25 Auto is at 6 days.. I am seeing the yellow forming again. I’m not a botanist, not even close but this has to be a chlorophyll issue, but as seen in the other pics of the more mature plant earlier in this thread, the yellow continues until the plant freezes and stops growing altogether like a zombified plant. Thoughts,
    No changes from before but this was this mornings readings:
    PH 5.9
    EC .5
    PPFD 200
    Light distance 20”
    Temp 74
    Water temp 67
    RH 54
    18/6 light schedule

each picture was taken as close to 24 hrs apart starting from germination

Attached Files:

15. I'm not sure exactly how your system runs, can you describe it further?
    Not the conditions, but the actual mechanisms.

16. Hi TG, would you recommend 20,000 LUX for six day old seedlings as well and if so I am using a different light, see below. I can only measure PPFD and it is at 200 currently and is in 2x4x6 tent
    upload_2022-8-12_11-45-44.png

17. I start my plants at 20K lux.
    what instrument are you using to determine ppfd?

18. this little one, says can only measure led lights vis ppfd only.
    upload_2022-8-12_11-59-48.png

19. 2-5 gallon bucket system inside the tent with a 5 gallon reservoir outside of the tent. All buckets are filled about a third full and recirculated with a small submersible pump in the reservoir. Each bucket inside the tent is equipped with a very small submersible pump as well that goes up a tube and connects to another half inch tube that runs around the perimeter of the upper portion of the bucket see pic. I have three mini sprayers attached to that half inch line. Almost acting as a top fed system the water is directed at the basket which I use clay pebbles with rapid starters.

Attached Files: