Help with temperature problem...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zlock, Nov 22, 2008.

1. I'm trying to get my newly built SOG box ready to support some plants, but I want to make sure that the box is ready to go before I put anything in it. Dimensions are 22"wide x 14" deep x 28" tall, I've got three 40w 2700k's and two 23w 6500k bulbs (gonna separate the box so I can have a few plants veg'ing while the other part is on a 12/12 light schedule)
    For ventilation I have one 120mm computer case fan blowing out of the top of the box, with six holes along the bottom of the box (equal to two times the exhaust size), my temps are at a very steady 85*f with all the lights on, which is a little bit higher than I'd like.
    Would adding an 80mm case fan in addition to the 120mm fan bring me down to where I'd like to be temp wise or should I just buy another 120mm fan? Temps in the room are right around 70*, maybe a few degrees lower.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. #2 experimentalist, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2008
    I would say that yes, adding another fan would help. I presume you are trying to get
    down into the 75-79 degree range? Since you said your intake is exactly double that
    of your exhaust, I would add another 120mm fan, but the 80mm will help in the mean
    time. I cant say that you'll reach those temps that I wrote, maybe, you will find
    out I guess. CFL bulbs throw a lot of heat.. not like HID, but still, hot.

What have you got in there to move air around inside the cabinet? Or are you
    counting on those 120mm fans to do that?

Remember to take your temp reading where the tips of your plants will be..

I hope that helps. Best of luck! Keep us posted!

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

3. I've got one 80mm fan blowing down and across the box for internal ventilation, I'll probably add another on the opposite corner at a lower level.
    Temp was recorded a few inches below the bulbs, where the plants will hopefully be topping out
    And yeah, I wanna be in the mid-high 70 degree area :p Thanks!