help with seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by austyn12, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Every time i grow they almost never grow. What can i use to make the hole because i think im ether not putting it far enoth in or too far in. Also whenever i grow outside no matter how munch water i use unleash i drown it the soil drys up like it was never watered.What would be a better measurement then just waiting till the soil looks okay? If this helps these are bag seeds so how would i tell if the seeds are good or not?

2. #2 mobitsfa, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
    You can tell if the seeds are good or not by squeezing them. If they break or crack then they're no good.

Just soak them in a cup of water for 24 hours and plant them a half inch deep in soil.
    I use solo cups and put saran wrap on them and poke a hole, and put a cfl over them about a foot or more away. They should sprout in a couple days.

Make sure your water ph is around 6.8, but I've had seeds sprout using plain tap water with chlorine etc... ph was probably high too.

I don't know what else to say it's pretty easy. I've rarely had seeds that didn't germ or sprout.

Don't feed them for a while, and don't use heavily fertilized soil.

WATERING:
    Use good soil, not dirt.
    When you water wet all the soil and get some decent run off. Then let it dry out. It could take anywhere from 1-6 or more days depending on the plant and pot size. I've been growing for a while so I just lift my pots and if it's light then I water. If they're drooping and you havn't watered in a while then they need some. If they're drooping and you're constantly watering then you're over watering.

3. thanks for help are u sure about the cup i did that before and they were all soggy by 6 hrs and how i tell what half a inch is?

4. Poke holes in the bottom of the cup.

Half inch is like this deep ______

What soil are you using?

5. Maybe it's the weather where I live, but when I first started growing I could never get seeds to sprout until I covered them and they remained moist. I take the wrap off right when I see the seed pod pushing through the soil.

Same thing with my clones I have to saturate them heavily in a covered dome to grow roots.

6. i meant
    "Just soak them in a cup of water for 24 hours and plant them a half inch deep in soil." and miracle grow potting mix

7. how would u know when the seed pod is pushing tho? it needs sun the seound it sprouts if i rember right im in cali so i dont think so anways i grew weed in winter once but i had to get rid of it.

8. #8 mobitsfa, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
    You'll see it coming up through the soil, and it'll start cracking open showing the cotyledon leaves after a while. It doesn't need sun the second it comes up, you don't even need to put a light over them until you notice they have pop through the soil.

I put lights on them right after I plant them, but that's my style.

You can try a better soil. MG sucks, it has time release ferts and too much of them, but
    I've popped a few seeds in mg soil, and they were fine.

9. umm will it be okay i just planted 6 seeds . i know the soil is horrible but i cant be spending too munch money

10. If you are having trouble getting them to sprout try some jiffy starters. You can get like 30 of them with a tray and dome for about $5. They will allow a more controllable environment for your seedlings, and allow the root system to get a little stronger before having to push through crappy soil.

11. okay thanks for help ill get some if these don't sprout.

12. imaginary seedling mix- 5 parts sphagnum peat

1 part thermal compost

1 part perlite

heaping tablespoon of kelp meal per gallon.