Help with lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Joedahoe, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Asked in another thread i got 2ft|--4ft--|2ft

So 3 walls.

I asked the lighting and someone recommended 2,000 lumen per sq ft but ive researched and seen 3,000 or even 4,000 per sq ft. Im thinkin 2,000 is right

But if so what wattage fluorescent lighting do i need.

2. 4,000-8,000 is a good target for an indoor grow. 2,000 lumens per would be about one 26w bulb per sq ft, or 10 bulbs for 8 sq ft.

Fluorescent lighting won't give you the best bang for your buck. You've got 8 sq ft of floorspace? A 400w hps puts out 55,000 lumens/8 sq ft = 6800 lumens per sq ft. 250w hps puts out 28,000 lumens, giving you 3500 lumens per.

400w of cfl = 27,000, or 3300 lumens per. 250w cfl = 17,000, or 2,000 lumens per.

You can see how inefficient cfl is. More trouble than it's worth, only thing they're good for is rooting clones IMO.

3. #3 Joedahoe, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
    [quote name='"Not Sure"']4,000-8,000 is a good target for an indoor grow. 2,000 lumens per would be about one 26w bulb per sq ft, or 10 bulbs for 8 sq ft.

Fluorescent lighting won't give you the best bang for your buck. You've got 8 sq ft of floorspace? A 400w hps puts out 55,000 lumens/8 sq ft = 6800 lumens per sq ft. 250w hps puts out 28,000 lumens, giving you 3500 lumens per.

400w of cfl = 27,000, or 3300 lumens per. 250w cfl = 17,000, or 2,000 lumens per.

You can see how inefficient cfl is. More trouble than it's worth, only thing they're good for is rooting clones IMO.[/quote]

Hmm im kinda on a budget for my first lights. Ill be upgrading second go around. But what is a basic lighting from a local store you recommend for

Edit:60-70?

4. I understand, did the same thing myself. Your budget is 60-70? You might be able to find a 250 for that price, definitely a 150. I don't recommend basic lighting from a local store, you can grow with it but the yield is garbage. If you're re-investing your first harvest back into your setup then it would pay off to make your first light something that you can add to, instead of throw away. Whatever you choose as your main lighting first go, could be used for a veg setup on your second go. So on and so forth... :smoke:

5. [quote name='"Not Sure"']

I understand, did the same thing myself. Your budget is 60-70? You might be able to find a 250 for that price, definitely a 150. I don't recommend basic lighting from a local store, you can grow with it but the yield is garbage. If you're re-investing your first harvest back into your setup then it would pay off to make your first light something that you can add to, instead of throw away. Whatever you choose as your main lighting first go, could be used for a veg setup on your second go. So on and so forth... :smoke:[/quote]

A 250 what specifically?

Im just trying to
    Figure out if i should just go with fluorescent lighting like 2 68 watt fixtures.

Or if theres something better out their in my price range.

What kinda yield are we talking?

With 2 maybe 3 plants i was shooting for at least a fat oz

6. [quote name='"Not Sure"']

I understand, did the same thing myself. Your budget is 60-70? You might be able to find a 250 for that price, definitely a 150. I don't recommend basic lighting from a local store, you can grow with it but the yield is garbage. If you're re-investing your first harvest back into your setup then it would pay off to make your first light something that you can add to, instead of throw away. Whatever you choose as your main lighting first go, could be used for a veg setup on your second go. So on and so forth... :smoke:[/quote]

And if i buy a 400 watt hps bulb do you need a different socket or can it fit into regulat sockets?

7. Also jist talked to my local hydroponics store

He said he has 1000 watt ballasts for sale cheap (50-60) and bulbs used for 20 but new for 30.

Would that be enough to run HPS bulbs?

8. U will need a ballast for a 400w hps and it won't fit in regular socket

9. If you are using a HPS or MH bulb it will need a mogul socket which is larger than a normal socket.

Typically people use MH for veg and HPS for flower. If you are on a tight budget you can use HPS for both with good results.

Using HPS or MH will produce more heat, so you will need to deal with that.

10. I'm talking about a 250 hps. I pulled 6 oz off mine last go with a single plant. I'd expect 3 zips off a 150 hps, long as you don't overcrowd it with too many plants.

That sounds too good to be true... caveat emptor, my friend :smoke:

11. [quote name='"Not Sure"']

I'm talking about a 250 hps. I pulled 6 oz off mine last go with a single plant. I'd expect 3 zips off a 150 hps, long as you don't overcrowd it with too many plants.

That sounds too good to be true... caveat emptor, my friend :smoke:[/quote]

Lol ill make sure everything looks legit enough.

So the 1000 watt balast would work well with the hp bulb?

And how much heat we talkin if i do a 250hp for max 3 plants?

Will that be enough lumens for my 8sq ft?

Or is the 400 better?

My closet has slits and the room is kept pretty empty and stays about 70-75 degrees normally.

Will the hps cause too much heat?

12. [quote name='"Joedahoe"']

Lol ill make sure everything looks legit enough.

So the 1000 watt balast would work well with the hp bulb?

And how much heat we talkin if i do a 250hp for max 3 plants?

Will that be enough lumens for my 8sq ft?

Or is the 400 better?

My closet has slits and the room is kept pretty empty and stays about 70-75 degrees normally.

Will the hps cause too much heat?[/quote]

Or would 150 hps be suitable?

13. Your box is 2'x4', right? The effective range of a 150w hps is 1.5'x1.5', 250w hps is about a 2'x2' footprint, maybe a bit more. Effective range of a 400w is 3x3, 600w is 4'x4', 1kw is 5'x5'. For best coverage I'd suggest adding another 250w hps after your first harvest, maybe 2 a/c hoods daisy-chained to keep your temps down.

You can use whatever light you want in there, but anything growing beyond the effective range will probably end up in your trim pile (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's great for making hash). If you want dense, heavy, rock-hard buds then you should stay within the effective range of your HID light.

14. [quote name='Joedahoe']So the 1000 watt balast would work well with the hp bulb?

I am not sure that I am reading what you are saying correctly, however you can not use any other wattage of bulb with a 1000W ballast other than a 1000W bulb.

Some electronic ballasts can be dimmable but I am not sure that a 1000w would dim all the way down to 250w.

15. [quote name='"Marsdude"'][/quote]

Well, considering ventillation and such hps might joy be approprite.

So what does anyone recommend for a fluorescent light fixture i buy at lets say walmart for growing? How
    Many watts should it have? This is the only confusing thing about trying to grow with fluorescent light. Everywhere says i need about 3,000 lumen per sq fr so many fixtures would i need to equal enoughfor a decent yield

16. [quote name='"Not Sure"']Your box is 2'x4', right? The effective range of a 150w hps is 1.5'x1.5', 250w hps is about a 2'x2' footprint, maybe a bit more. Effective range of a 400w is 3x3, 600w is 4'x4', 1kw is 5'x5'. For best coverage I'd suggest adding another 250w hps after your first harvest, maybe 2 a/c hoods daisy-chained to keep your temps down.

You can use whatever light you want in there, but anything growing beyond the effective range will probably end up in your trim pile (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's great for making hash). If you want dense, heavy, rock-hard buds then you should stay within the effective range of your HID light.[/quote]

Oh and for example i have 8 sq feet in my closet but lets say im only gonna occupy half the closet with plants (2ftx2ft) so can i use less lighting if the plants are only using the smaller space i want but have enough room to grow?

17. Have u done any research on ur own mayb u want someone to grow it for u 2

18. [quote name='"chep42"']Have u done any research on ur own mayb u want someone to grow it for u 2[/quote]

I actually have and repeatedly run into non detailed answers. All i want to know is how many fluorecents with what wattage to use or my small grow.

So either you know and can help

Or you dont and you cant.

Pick one and type.

19. K at least u tried finding out there r a lot of people that don't want to put the time and effort to do it right. I can't help u with fluoros I use t5s to veg and then switch to hps for flower. I know u can get a good grow with the right amount of them. Goodluck hope it comes out good

20. [quote name='"chep42"']Have u done any research on ur own mayb u want someone to grow it for u 2[/quote]

I actually have and repeatedly run into non detailed answers. All i want to know is how many fluorecents with what wattage to use or my small grow.

So either you know and can help

Or you dont and you cant.

Pick one and type.