Help with lighting set up.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Buddin In, Oct 3, 2011.

1. I'm sure questions like these have been answered millions of times, but I'm sure somebody out there is kind enough to help me.

So I'm looking to do a low budget indoor auto flowering stealth grow. I'm looking to spend no more that $50 on a lighting system. I've got just a few questions.

What type of lights work best for Autoflowers, and would this fit in my budget, if not what's the next best lights for my budget? And if you've grow Autoflowers what has worked best and what has worked the least. Thank you very much, stay medicated :smoke:

2. 50 bucks you should buy some cfls. I found 55 Watts at Walmart for like 15 each and reflector domes for each bulb at home depot. They should.have daylight bulbs for veg and soft white for flowering. Anyother lights are kind of.expensive for a bulb and ballast.

3. Those are just the regular energy savers right? If so what style of them would be the best or does it not matter? ( Bulb, the twisted ones, and the long ones) Thanks

4. Yeah the twisty ones. But go by actual Watts not what its equivalent to. Rule of thumb is about 100 Watts per plant and 50 more Watts for each plant added. But with cfls I say go crazy buy a bunch and point them at the plants in all different angles not just pointing down from above.

5. so hang on, are you saying that normal energy saver light globes will do it ? or do they need to be special spectrum globes ? ive been looking everywhere in australia for a supplier of cFL GROW lights but if the normal ones work then i can just go to the supermarket !

6. [quote name='"LiasisKing"']so hang on, are you saying that normal energy saver light globes will do it ? or do they need to be special spectrum globes ? ive been looking everywhere in australia for a supplier of cFL GROW lights but if the normal ones work then i can just go to the supermarket ![/quote]

Yep those are the ones. Right down the road at a friendly market near you.

7. yep just regular corkscrew style should work good...just don't get the domed spotlight style as it blocks some light. Don't worry too much about 'grow bulbs' when it comes to cfls.

8. ^grow bulbs totally matter dude, I can't belive I just read that....

I like to go with daylight 6500k bulbs (most even have pics of plants on them letting the grower indirectly know they're for growing) and I can find them at ANY big box store (like home dumpo)

Attached Files:

9. ^dont buy those to small you'd have to buy a bunch
    Get bigger ones nothing over 75 actual Watts ! Too much heat I think may stress plants out

10. [quote name='"muney420"']^dont buy those to small you'd have to buy a bunch
    Get bigger ones nothing over 75 actual Watts ! Too much heat I think may stress plants out[/quote]

Yea bro, that's why u use micro minis, its easier to keep the heat down, but I never said u had to get those, just some good growing bulbs.

Oh yeah, I also use those n my shits perfect; stays at a good temp and provides with a lot of light

11. But how many do you use?

12. Like 4-6 bulbs in a 2.5x2.5x5ft cab, the smaller ones cool faster

13. So I wanna do some autos with cfls, can I just have the same globes the whole 9-10 weeks or do I need to swap to something else once flowering ?

14. Dude I've used 6500k bulbs throughout with added soft white 2700k bulbs. Works fine.

15. I'm currently finishing up a micro grow with a 6500k cfl light...check it out in the link if ya want to see buds finished under a higher K bulb....I think they would have produced a slight bit more with ~3k lighting...but they still look great. I recommend switching the bulbs out halfway through with the autos though, I would have switched to a lower K bulb but I couldn't find one.