Help with heat and new grow closet!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by RewTheJew, Jan 15, 2007.

1. So, after my first grow with bagseed I decided that it was time to step it up a bit. So basically the idea of this room is to cram as many fluros as i can in a small space. This is a hall closet, that has shelves so multi layer growing is possible. As of right now, i have a big heat issue, and have to solve that before i can continue any further (under the bulbs, its a whopping 93 degrees F). In order to keep the heat down, i have drilled through the ceiling, and installed two comp case fans, that push a decent amount of air. It brings in quite cold air, but how the closet is designed, the air doesnt flow well. So my question is, how can i quietly/cheaply take heat away from the bulbs?

The closet dimensions are 3 feet deep, and 10 feet tall.

Thanks for all your help in advance, you guys are awesome on this board!!

Attached Files:

2. for intake to work you need somewhere for the old air to go to, simple exhaust would work.

3. Yeah, your problem with the ceiling exhaust is that you are trying to push air into a static space, the air may not have anywhere to go. This is one of the biggest problems with a closet grow.

Is there any creative way to get the exhaust outside or to a larger area like an attic?

4. dude, that light, setup is ''INSANE'' + rep. to you,, on your igenuity!!!!!!!!;)

5. It may just be the angle but it looks like the exhaust holes are quite a bit smaller than the fans. From the look of it a good portion of the blades is pushing into the sheet rock. Make sure your intake is plenty big. The more pressure on these fans the more the CFM drops.

6. well there is space up there... there is a shit ton of insulation that keeps finding itself into my fan blades. Its actually blowing cold air in, instead of venting it out. I may reverse the fans in order to make it a exhaust. I had an idea to run a tube that reaches above the insulation, that way it wont get caught in my blades ne more.

I should pick up an inline fan that pushes more air, but if I did that it may be to loud, which defeats the stealthiness of a closet. The other thing is that i cant vent on the sides because they lead to either a room or my roomates closet. Im stuck with the ceiling, I just need to find a better way of pushing air out.

Does anyone know how loud those inline fans are? I think that is my best option at the moment.

Also, i drilled holes into the shelves right above where the lights are. I figure three 12v 80 mm computer fans pushing air up, should be enough to pull heat away from the lights, and into the exhaust.

I am open to any suggestions, and you guys have been a HUGE help so far, and it wont go unappreciated!

7. Don't bother with those cheap duct boosters that you find at hardware stores. That can't handle any type of load without bogging down. I've got a 4" vortex but it certainly isn't stealth.

Is that insulation in the wall or the ceiling?

8. Its in the ceiling... I need a relatively inexpensive way of having an exhaust fan... Any suggestions?

9. Well here's one if you can get into the ceiling. Get a cardboard box that's bigger than the two fan openings. Cut out the bottom top leaving just the sides. You could fold them in to give more support. This will give you a cardboard "duct" that you can put over the fan holes in the ceiling. Once you clear away the insulation that will keep it from falling back in. Big enough "duct" and you could put in a box fan.