HELP with Cloning!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by peacehappy, Nov 11, 2012.

1. So I recently stumbled across a thread about cloning, says i need rock-wool or another growing medium, any1 care to explain what the rock-wool does? and why cant i just put clones with rooting solution into my potting soil? Start it out in a Solo Cup?

Im assuming (correct me if im wrong) the growing medium *rockwool* is used to take root and then i place the rockwool into soil? And it works from there on out? Obviously need help and have no clue where to start with cloning.. What items will I need other than rockwool and a rooting solution?

2. [quote name='"peacehappy"']So I recently stumbled across a thread about cloning, says i need rock-wool or another growing medium, any1 care to explain what the rock-wool does? and why cant i just put clones with rooting solution into my potting soil? Start it out in a Solo Cup?

Im assuming (correct me if im wrong) the growing medium *rockwool* is used to take root and then i place the rockwool into soil? And it works from there on out? Obviously need help and have no clue where to start with cloning.. What items will I need other than rockwool and a rooting solution?
    [/quote]

Takes longer for them to root just into straight dirt and its harder to monitor the water. Don't want it to dry out or it will die.
    And Yup, just what you're thinking about the grow medium.

I would suggest a humidity dome also man.

3. you can root clones just fine in most mediums. you don't need to use rockwool. i too suggest a clone dome.

4. jorge cervantes from high times learn how to grow. As a funny grower and believe me his vid's have helped me out for my first time. He suggest for first time grower's, use dirt. Even when he doe's cloning in his vids. He use's dirt. There is a method he doe's use.

Buy a seeder by Jiffy. Can be bought at any Walmart or Canadian Tire in the seasonal section. Make sure it comes with the jiffy pucks. I use Stim-Root 1 and 3. When the pucks have swell. I poke a hole in the top of them to make sure Jiffy's pre hole is open. Make my angled snips of my clone. I add a few slice marks near the bottom. Dip it in water then in Stim-Root 1 or 3 depending on strength of my clipping. Shake off all extra powder and stick them into the finished pucks. I then put the clear Jiffy dome on the clone's. Put it under my florescent lights on a shelve about 5 to 6 inches from the top of the dome. Plug the Jiffy pad in and in 2 weeks from 24hr light, The clone's are ready for me to plant in soil.

Jorge say's to us new grower's, don't go nut's with Hydro system's until we know and learn from our mistakes with soil. There are many pro's here that would grow circle's around us. They can put together a Hydro system at a cheaper cost then any of those site's that sell them complete.

When I get a chance to, I will post some pic's of my new project and an attempt to try new things. First time making a grow box out of a TV cabinet. Believe this or not, I bought a fish tank air pump. have 3 growing right now in the box. I use normal water and feed with 2 of them. I stick the air pump into water for 30 mins and use that water to feed the 1. At the same time, I have a hose with holes in it wrapped around that plant that shoots air on it from the outside that's connected to another air pump. This female is over 50% bigger then the other 2. She is 2 1/2 weeks old. Keep in mind all 3 plant's run there own light. 18 bucks a bulb at Walmart. Compact Fluorescent 200W uses only 45W Utility Cool White 4100K 3000 Lumens made by Globe. 45watts is doing the job at 18hrs on and 6 off. My grow space at the bottom is 2 1/2 by 3. The stems up and goes 4 31/2 for see of green lol. <------ Dreamer

Google Jorge Cervantes' Ultimate Grow. There is a full dvd vid on YoutTube.

5. I clone, a lot. I have used dirt, rockwool, aerocloners, plugs, even flotsam and jetsam I think. Here is where I am at.

Dirt- Slowish, not the most space efficient, not hard but I couldn't see doing more than a dozen or two like this.

Plugs- Convenient, not the most space efficient but reliable and extremely easy. If I wasn't taking so many I would probably use these.

Aerocloner- I just sold my last 2 machines off a bit ago. Very efficient spacewise especially if you are putting 2-3 per collar, changing your collars every run should be a no brainer. I ran EZ 120's and Turbo 144's. Both machines took up quite a bit of room (4'x2.5'). Turnaround time (strain dependant) was 2 1/2-3 1/2 weeks. Results are good except in the summer heat when the rez gets a bit warm. Best trick I learned was picking up a cycle timer that ran the strip all 4 machines were on. 2 mins on, 2 mins off, 24/7. I found no ill effects (in fact I think the roots stretched better and fuller because they had some off time) and I cut down my pump time from 24 hours a day to 12. Far less heat being added to my rez. Large machines are a bitch to keep clean, ez cloners being the worst (turboklone has rounded corners, much easier to keep clean). Carrying 20 plus gallons of water back and forth, scrubbing the silica buildup and funk, I can't say I will miss it at all.

Rockwool- All I use now, here is why. I pick these up at my store for 10 bucks a tray. I can fit 4 trays in the same footprint as a 120 site machine, that is 392 clones in the same space I can get around 300 clones in a machine (alternating 2 and 3 per collar). That is a 33% increase, as the kids say today...WOOT! More importantly, it is simply put easier if done right because there is no setup, cleanup, any of it. A warming mat, a humidity dome, a timer and some rooting gel is all you need, one small suggestion, put the mat on a timer set to six on, six off. Leave the vents on the humidity dome fully open, using this method you don't even need to pop the tops to dry them off nor do you ever need to mist your clones. I can also take 96 today, and another 96 in a few days, no need to wait for my mom room to be ready for a full 300+ clone whacking, not that most people ever take 300+ but hey. Around day 10 remove the dome, by day 14 half the tray will be rooted, the rest will come along inside a week. It is easy, the most efficient use of space and requires zero "extra work" when you are done (cleaning).

6. I use a small bubble cloner with just water and superthrive..works great 10 days roots like clockwork..after roots start i add rapid start and they blow up with growth

7. Gnomepunter, I am going to rename my room after you. Stick an Alter in the corner with a Gnome on it. Put a bunch of candle's around it. I will pray and say I am not worthy and worship you twice a week. Totally blew my mind......

8. No problem, I am about to attempt a multi tray experiment on organic cloning using GSC and NL which should be interesting. I need to figure out how to get rid of the nasty crap they stick in cloning gels.