Help with building first pc

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Bewbiez, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Hey guys I want to build myself a pc but not sure were to start. I have a 900-1k budget but that's including a monitor. I mainly want this for video editing and maybe some casual gaming. Any help would be appreciated :D

2. @[member="Bewbiez"] Do you know how to build a computer first off? Second off start with your motherboard and CPU. Get a decent case. Are you wanting to overclock or just run standard?

3. I went $100 over but worth it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard:  MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.48 @ OutletPC)
    Memory:  Team 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($89.89 @ Amazon)
    Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($114.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case:  NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($46.98 @ Best Buy)
    Power Supply:  Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor:  Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1103.27
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-12 23:04 EST-0500)

4. #4 Vicious, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
    What are you going to be using as the main focus? A video editing workstation can easily get to be more expensive than a gaming rig. Are you doing major HD editting?

5. that looks really good man il look into it

6. I know a little bit but I'm sure I can some help through a friend or YouTube

7. just casual gaming like dayz every now and then. Editing wise il mainly be running programs like Sony Vegas and after effects

it's easy. look up neweggs tutorial on youtube.

@[member="Vicious"] your build was good but the i would pick the Xeon over the i5 because the Xeon basically gives the performance of an i7 at an i5 price. As far as the storage goes normally i would agree with you but if he's going to be editing then he should have more storage and the rpm isn't a big deal when you're only using it for mass storage, it would be bad as a boot drive but that's what the ssd is for.

9. Yea I was going to ask about the Xeon. I was told a i5-4670k would be good to get

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

The Xeon is better for video editing and performs very similar to the i5 for gaming. The only downside to them is no overclocking, but an unlocked processor isn't really in your price range. You would have to downgrade other hardware that aren't really worth downgrading.

I linked the wrong one, I was helping my buddy build a 'budget' gaming rig and forgot to change it, that's why I editted out to a question, it didn't really apply to him, especially needing a monitor.

The reason I was asking is because if he was doing serious work I'd invest in higher processing, space and ram. Working in 1440p+ files is serious buisness, but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

12. nah nothing to serious 1080p max. And maybe a little bit of 3d work with cinema 4d and 3ds max

13. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Js2A1qdB8

get a fx 6300 or fx 8320 instead and a better gpu, at least a gtx 760. you'd be better off. if you're only doing light editing then 8gb of ram is probably enough as well.

15. I ended up ordering a Intel build. i5-4670k a gtx 760, 8gb ram, 650w psu, Asus z87a mobo and a 1tb drive with a cheap case