Help with a hydro set up

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by itsandrewbet, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, so if not, sorry :D

Well I have recently found a friends house who will let me grow there, so I decided to take advantage of that. I have never grown before, but I have read articles on how to grow. She said I can use her add-on patio, but I was planning on just building two boxes (one for veg the other for flowering), and having at least 2 plants in each.

I will be building foreskin's d.i.y. hydro box, but that's basically all I know what to do right now.

So what lights would be best and how should I build the grow boxes?

btw I will be growing vegan, so does any one know any good nutes? The only one I know of is biocanna

Thanks guys :smoke:

2. Can't really comment on the vegan inquiry, but I suggest checking about some of the stickies in the beginner's thread to help you out. Here is one of them to get you started:

Bubble Bucket Hydro Method 101

Read through this completely and it should answer 99% of the questions you have. As a quick note though (based on whether you can afford it), you should go with High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights. These include: Metal Hallide (MH) bulbs, which are recommended for vegging, and High Pressure Sodium (HPS), which are recommended for flowering.

There are plenty of grow box designs in the DIY thread, so I recommend reading through there first and foremost. Remember that no matter the design, it should be built around the idea of effective ventilation. Any box that encloses the plant will generate more heat than the ambient temperature of the room the box is in without proper ventilation. This means you need some type of fan that is constantly exhausting the air (which is heated by the heat given off from the light in combination with the ambient air temsp) outside of the box. You also want to make sure you have some form of passive intake which, in combination with your fan, will produce slight negative pressue in the box to allow new c02 to circulate within.

3. Yea We have a couple fans that should work, we just need an exhaust. Also how much watts do you recommend for two plants (do the HID and HPS need different amounts?), also do you know any websites that sell them relatively cheap?

Also I will be starting from a clone just to make it a little easier, is the process the same as if I just used a seed?

Sorry for all the questions
    Thanks for the link, and the help

4. Don't be sorry about the questions, brotha. That's why we're all here, to help each other out. In any case, keep in mind that HPS is an HID type of lighting. HID is the umbrella of which HPS and MH bulbs fall under. They are both High Intensity Discharge.

I personally like to go with 100W per plant. Some will tell you 150 for the first and 100 for the rest, but that never made sense to me. But there is nothing wrong with that. Also remember that it's not just about the # of plants you're housing, but the square footage of your grow area. Light won't just focus on your plants, but will disburse amongst the space to which it is confined. To achieve this, you want to shoot for 50W per square foot.

My tent, for example, is 3x3 with 4 plants in it, running 400W. This gives me 100W per plant and ~45W per square foot. You don't need to be exactly at 50, but you want to shoot for it. Also, you don't want to have too much light for the area, or eventually it becomes a waste.

For your lights, I recommend HTG Supply. Also, don't buy too much into the big brand names like Hortilux and Ushio, etc. Yes they may be a bit better quality, but any MH bulb will do the same job as the next one.

Clones put you a couple weeks ahead of the game, depending on how well rooted they are. This allows you to skip germination and dive right into veg and feeding. Consider yourself lucky!

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. :bongin: