Help with a grow box/cabinet setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by TokinAllDay, Jun 26, 2013.

1. #1 TokinAllDay, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
    I have a empty cabinet that is like a table with 2 sets of doors. Its horizontally about 5 feet and its about 3 ft tall. Its also 2 feet deep going from door opening to the wall. No one will ever open this and I have my own security idea for it as well. pretty simply the doors will have a barrel bolt to keep them from being opened and they will be locked and unlocked by taking out the drawer above the cabinet. I plan on using it to grow some kind of auto strain Im not sure yet. I would assume I would need to use LST them but my main concerns are:

1. How much light would I need for that space and how many Plants could I evenly grow in that space with the amount of light. The plants will be harvested for personal use. And should I get a couple 2700K and 6500K CFL's for the different stages or if im growing autos just one or the other?

2. I'm obviously hiding this grow so whats the best way to set up a cheap carbon filter or even a air filter for a air conditioner etc. could I use a pc 12v fan to draw the air out of the box ( will seal the area so essential a box. The ends are open with direct access to the space, I will board it up to seal the "box") and have a piece of a AC filter on the outside where the hole would be. Or have a square cut out and the fan inserted and a filter on the fans blowing side ? The setup is in my basement but I still want it to be quite. And could I have the fan(s) on a timer so they arent running 24/7 or should they. I would do 4 hours of running then a half hour off then back on. Trying to make the fans last longer. 

3. Any good way to either rig up or buy a cheap automatic watering system. Or what drip system? I have plenty room to store a water reservoir.  I dont have the resources to get nutrients for a hydroponic grow otherwise I would. Im in a family house so I cant really order a big box of indoor growing supplies. 

4. If you can answer these for me I would appreciate it very much. I know theres info out there but its usually mixed and I cant seem to gather it right or get confused by different sites saying something and other peoples mix reviews and ideas. If you have an idea  for my setup such as lights, watering, LST, and anything else please feel free to let me know. I've never grown indoors but would like to. Also I saw something about the use of gift wrapping where there's Mylar on the back that is not printed on  is that use able in this aspect. 

2. this is what i would do, not saying it will work or wont. on autos i'd use 6500k only, and about 100 real watts per plant should work. and you would probably need a good exuast fan to keep it all cool not any pc fans. i would try to fit a good 400 500 watts of cfs in there, if your trying to grow more then 3. just my 0.02