Help wiring home generator

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by HighMountainSkier, Nov 5, 2012.

1. #1 HighMountainSkier, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
    I'm looking for some help wiring a portable generator into my electrical panel.   I recently purchased a Generac GP7500E, after the destruction caused my Superstorm Sandy and it looks like there is a 'Nor Easter heading this way later this week to add insult to injury. 

I am not looking to backfeed into my home's electrical system using a "suicide cable", however wiring this up according to NEC in 3 days is not going to be possible. I need a short term plan using materials that are available. Right now, transfer switches and interlock kits are all sold out. 

My electrical panel is an 100 Amp 120/240 volt Murray with a main disconnect, and all of the slots are already full.  Have 2 Two 20 amp single pole breakers and I will use these to free up two slots in my panel. In the two opened slots, I will install a 30 Amp two pole 240v breaker. That is the easy part. 

The connection on the generator side is a L14-30 outlet, and I have 1 L14-30 male twist lock connector (got the last one at my Home Depot today). The only 30 Amp cable I could get is 10/3, and the generator will sit about 50 feet away from the electrical panel.   Can I use this cable to connect the generator to the electrical panel?  How does that get wired up on both ends (color to color)?  I understand that I can not have both the main and generator breakers closed at the same time and the dangers involved.

2. Bump for the daytime folks.