Help wiring ballast!! Need asap!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PurplefuckinNug, Jun 17, 2010.

1. I being the smart man I am, decided to build my own light. I have a 400w hps bulb, the correct socket and ballast. I have no fucking clue how to wire this and don't feel like dying trying myself. I need someone to tell me how to wire this to the socket.

Wat do?
    pics are my shit yo.

2. Pics!!!!!!!!!!!

3. [​IMG]

The wires should be stamped with voltages, and X1 X2 X3 labels.

The 120V black and yellow on your ballast goes to the black wire of the 120V power cord.

The white wire from the Socket goes to the white wire of the 120V power cord and the single X wire from the Ignitor NOT shared by the Transformer (coiled ballast).

Tape all the other voltages off seperately.

Match up X wires to the ignitor (from the Ignitor 2 wires go to the Transformer or "ballast" and 1 wire goes to the socket) they should all be labelled. X1 to X1; X2 to X2; X3 to X3 pretty simple.

Ground the ballast with the green wire from the power cord.

I would use wire nuts and then cover in electrical tape, but I'm anal about stuff.

I hope that helps!

here is the site I got the pic from:

Google Image Result for http://strainguide.org/wp-content/uploads/growfaq/1151_files/150HPS_wiring.jpg

...its for converting driveway lights into grow lights, but pretty much the same difference as what you've got going on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If your wiring is different let me know and I can walk you through it no matter what it looks like (within reason).

5. #6 FarNorCal, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
    I just realized there is no capacitor in the diagram, so if you can't get the capacitor wired into this diagram correctly just let me know. I'm here to help!

Okay, the capacitor goes black wire to black 120V power cord wire and 120V ballst wire
    the white wire goes to the white wire in the 120V power cord and the X wire coming from the ignitor to the socket.

6. #8 justmeagain, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
    Add a $6.00 20 amp switch to this and you can have a HPS/MH Ballast ONLY if you know exactally what your doing

The switch will have to be placed between the Ignitor and Ballast.

The switch will allow the ignitor to fire making it HPS or not allow it to fire and make it a MH.

If you was looking at a HPS and a MH Ballast you would see that the difference is the ignitor.

If you was looking at a switchable ballast the only difference you would see is a HPS with a switch added

The above diagram is one companys way of hooking up a kit.

Each company that makes ballasts might have one or more additional common wires and different ways they connect their Capacitors and Ignitors.

I highly recommend that you do not try and convert a HPS to a HPS/MH without you knowing exactally what to do

Only a qualified electrician or electronics repair person should attempt this

7. Very freakin' sweet! I'd do it ip if I were wiring a newbie.

8. Most of the time all you would need to do is add the 2 pole 20 amp switch to the blue wire running from the ignitor to the ballast or what ever color single wire that hooks the two togeather.

Again let an experienced electrician or electronics repair person do it to be safe as they have the test equipment to make sure it was done correctly