Help, should I thin?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by yyz0, Aug 3, 2011.

1. If you do trim, I'd trim only the spindly looking weak shit that you are 100% sure won't do anything. Besides that, I'm in agreement with tattomagoo420, leave it alone to flower.

2. #22 5150, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
    I trim the tall thin popcorn sucker branches inside the plants. They will never get any good anyway.

You should have planty of the tall INSIDE suckers against your wall.

Yes hard to do but it does help. I did not trim my lage plants in 2009. All it was was small popcorn buds. I could have used that energy other places.

I also trim all the leafs that touch the ground when the plant is wet. Wet leafs on the ground all the time is not good.

Will you be netting your plants? I would asap. when the rain and buds come it will pound your buds right into the dirt breaking branches. There is a reason most large plants have trillis netting on them.

Great looking plants man. You nailed it.

Edit:

I did some pruning tonight. The first pic shows the plant with no pruning. The 2nd and 3rd pic shows a plant pruned. I do the bottom like to stop all the lefs from being wet all the time. I clean the inside of the plant some. It was easy to clean and prune this year. after the last two years debating it. I had no problems pruning. For I know what will happen to these branches. I filled a kitchen size garbage sack with small branches and shoots and leafs. I do not pluck any leafs that will not touch the ground when they plant is wet. Also the plants have great airflow now. Easy to water and I will not miss those popcorn buds at all. I will say though. The larger the plants you have they easier it is to prune. :)

If I did not have the cages and my plants got wet. When they have big buds they would be laying on the ground for sure. So I cagethe sides and chop everything else.

OP you do not need the cage like I have. You can just lay some trillis netting like I did on in the last pic. This will lock your plant and not let the braches flop to the ground. You can get a 5x15 net for like $8 at Hone Depot. It can and will save you about half your crop. Depending on your weather and strorms/wind. Trust me.... on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. So I finally got in there and thinned out the growth, I'm sure I should have done it sooner but I guess better late than never. As I got up inside it got easier and easier to remove branches, especially after I found a couple of small spots of mold that really pushed me over the edge and I got real aggressive after that.

Here's a pic of the pile of stuff I thinned out, the buds and tops I removed from that pile for QWISO and a shot of the plants all thinned out.
    The buds are filling out nicely, the trics are all cloudy so it shouldn't be too much longer now till harvest. Seed description says end of Sept. so I'm in the home stretch.

Attached Files: