Help: Red Stems And Dying Leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ChronLab, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Hi everyone, I am a first time grower and I am encountering some issues.

To start off I will give some information:
    -I am growing Barney's farm vanilla kush
    -indoor closet grow
    -light source is a 1600 lumen CFL
    -Using traditional soil
    -no nutrients
    -24/24 light cycle
    -plant is about 2 months old
    -the average temperature is around 30 degrees Celsius
    -I water the plant every two days with bottled water.

So it all started about two weeks into the grow and my plant was growing some red stems, I was not too worried because it was growing fine. About one month into the grow, the bottom leaves of my plant were dying out. They slowly turn yellow and die. The rate that they are dying at is relatively slow and the plant produces new leaves way faster than they die. I have not consulted anyone because nobody I know has much knowledge about growing.

I have attached some pictures of my baby.

Are the red stems and dying leaves related? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Attached Files:

2. stem color is normal and is genetic.

Feed the plant its hungry.

3. I am guessing potassium or phos deficiency. Leaves dark green almost too dark similar to nitrogen toxicity..... Look up sick cannabis plants
    Purple or red stems...is the plant really tall bigger than any others? The leaf is cannabilizing itself....

4. Red or purple stems are phosphorus deficiency. It is not genetic. I grow several strains that purple...they all start out green. When the leaf is spent or has a condition its stem and center circle and fingers will turn purple red or candy red....if plant is tall lanky biggest producer n purples stems u most likely have potassium deficiency.... Cannabis is green.....until something changes it. Cold weather.....deficiency of nutrients..... Very rarely will it be purely genetics and this shows late stage flower in deficiencies.....like my grand daddy purple. Leaves stems buds purple... But only if temp is right around 60-78... If you let GDP become deficient her leaves turn dark purple almost black. Stems of leaves bright candy apple red then deep dark purple....this is phos n potassium deficiency early stage....blue dream does it too. Same with lemon skunk. Any hybrid does this....

5. Growweedeasy.com phosphorus deficiency
    Read study enjoy!

6. #6 ChronLab, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

7. Bottled water is generally not ideal, 30c is also not ideal, watering every 2 days may or may not be too much, you know your soil/plant better than I, but seems like over water causing nute issues with a touch too much heat. Just a guesstimation =)

8. Also why are you leaving the lights on 24/24? You are going to be stressing the plant with all that darkness. Have you been doing that since germination?

9. #10 ChronLab, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I have had the 24/24 cycle going since germination. I thought i would start out with the 24/24 just to experiment because I am very inexperienced. What would you recommend as a light cycle for veg?(for future reference)  Also, i have stopped using water and started using ph balanced tap water. The water is at about a ph of 6. As for the temperature, It has lowered to about 25-27 degrees Celsius. 

I have added some phosphorus to my plant and things look well.The red stems have not gone away but it does not seem to be getting worse.

I will switch the cycle for flowering in about 2 weeks. I am thinking about super cropping before that to maximize the yield.

Note: I am working with restricted resources, budget and space.

10. 18 on 6 off is a good cycle. If you did 24 on 24 off theyll probably hermie.