Help - Post Transplant - Roots too spread out

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GumDispenser, Feb 10, 2009.

1. I planted 6 seedlings in 6 pots [ 6" deep x 3" diameter ]

Today, they are 1 week old. The leafs have outgrown the 3" diameter of the pots and noticed on some of my transparent pots [ plastic bottles ] that I can see many white roots lining the side of the pot all the way down to the drain holes.

What I had planned for transplant was to use a spade to remove the plants from the pots and transplant them to a bigger pot.

However, now I'm afraid to damage the roots that line the sides of the pots.

What are your suggestions?

2. Squeeze the pots to release the roots then invert the pot(turn upside down), with the stem between your index and middle finger. The entire plant and rootball should fall into your hand. Sounds like your little plants are off to a healthy start.

Good Luck

3. wouldnt all the dirt around it fall out? Isn't it a bit of a shock for the plant to be stripped of all the soil around it? I was thinking of taking all the dirt in one pack and place it in a hole in the soil of the bigger pot.

Or maybe I just misunderstood the procedure after the part where you say the entire plant and rootball falls in my hand.

4. The dirt will come with it.If you are seeing roots at the side of the pot, there shouldn't be a problem. There will be some dirt that falls off, but it won't shock the plant. I always do it over the freshly prepared larger pot so that everything stays in the new pot. Remember that MJ is a weed, and most weeds are very hardy.

5. Ok I understand now.

However, I'm afraid it might become stuck because the roots would cause friction on the side of the pots (which are mostly plastic)

Anyway I'll try that if that doesnt work I'll ask again hehe. I wont get the pots until tomorrow though.. too lazy to head out... or too baked.