Help please! Would this type of grow box work?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by abes, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Hey all. I'm trying to figure a way to make a grow box twice as useful. I wanted to build a box outta 3/4" ply that would double as a bench for seating! Need a bench for people to chill on in my music studio.

Here's my idea - (see pic) Start with 1 cfl above using the type of cfl that vbp6us has in his thread. Thanks for the heads up on these bro ;)
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/143637-cfl-lighting-check-out.html

Keep suspended plant close to cfl through early stages of veg. and moving plant downward as it gets grows. Once it grows a couple nodes up, LST it to grow the length of the box and use ties to keep it growing sideways. Then put a cfl on the base of box pointed up and probably move original cfl to far end of the box. As it grows put another cfl on base of box as well farther down along the box.
    Id have to switch light types for flowering right? but that's it in a nutshell...

I would need to know:
    a)If it would even work cuz colas would be growing downward.
    b)What the minimum height and length of the box/bench could be to allow adequate space between lights and plant during all stages of growth and flower. (approx.)
    c)What lights to switch to for 12/12 flowering stage? The lower cost and electric use the better! (tryin' to keep it low pro)
    d)Anything you guys would change and/or suggest.
    Let me know your thoughts!

Stay High :smoking:
    -Abes

Attached Files:

2. I guess I could have it go along the bottom and put the lights at the top as well...

LMAO burnt :smoking:

3. Sry to bring this back to top but...

Would this work growing 1 plant (or maybe 2 side by side)?

Would be bagseed 1st go around. What would dimensions have to be? Already germing...
    Thanks

4. i made my grow box out of a water heater box!!
    it works great and the dimensions are perfect for my set-up

5. If you are going to use it as a bench though be sure it's sturdy! I dunno if 3/4" plywood would be =/ Dont wanna sit down and squash your babies lol. Good luck though! put updates if you build it!

6. SS - yeah I would be supporting it inside with 2x4's etc.. as a frame and maybe a post in the mid so no one falls through! Boy would that suck! I'm trying to decide whether to build this thing or growem' in the backyard. I'm just worried about them flowering in the yard cuz it get dark back there but it isn't complete darkness (some neighborhood light).

Anyone know what dimensions would work?! Keep in mind it's supposed to be a bench as well! ;)

7. too much toke?

Keep it simple, keep it real

let the vase in the floor and put cfl's on top with the grow under, hot air goes up dude.

try max-lst tecnique from gator01

good luck!

ps - and next time set up the growroom first then germ ur seeds, things will go smother!

8. Yam - ya definately to much toke (notice the drawing LOL) I figured out putting it the other way an hour and 45 mins later after I came down a bit! :smoking:

Thanks for the help though

9. First try to how much u wanna grow, then try to figger out the best solution in power, temperature and yeld. Then space needed.

I see already u are interested in CFL, it's cheap, easy 2 replace and maintain. Colder than HID, but still hot 4 plants. see CFL kamel's guide

If u want weed just 4 u, regular joint daily with good quality , and sometimes with friends, never go under 150/200w for 2/3 plants and maybe 60 g of quality product on each harvest. Dont bother to spend money and time 4 less cause u are wasting both.

CFL means optimizing ligh/surface area to succefull grow and maximum yeld possible, so start to figger out if u want to go SCROG, LST or other's.

By ur skech style, i would go to fluoros/CFL (cold white 6500k 4 veg and warm white 4 flower)and Max-LST from gator01 or scrog. 150/200w divided by 50 watt sq/ft gives u 3/4 square ft in grow surface area - try 4 example minimalist design - 2 ft/61 cm H by 2,5ft/76 cm L by 1,5ft/45 cm W.

Remember u need space 4 electrical wiring and stuff, cooling, venting and smell solutions. Is very important to consider that in mind.

Soo my advice is set a goal in production, choose the right ligt setup 4 u, build ur grow space, remember that a good reflector is as important as the quality and power of the CFL's), install a decent venting sistem and a reliable smell control (pro's always have carbon scrubbers on their grows post's, wonder why?) start with good soil mixture. Then enjoy with pleasure ur hobby.

10. Thanks Yam! Great info! Exactly, It's just for personal use solely and to smoke out the bros. But, after all that the wife cancelled the indoor program as well as its funding!:mad: LOL
    So, it looks like the backyard is going to win out! Which is fine I'm gunna top, LST, and do something like gator01 did, but outdoor! We shall see... 3 germs thus far 1 to go! :smoking:

Thanks for all the help! +rep

P.S. - I'll definately keep the info for fall/winter when we revisit indoor funding!