Help please.. Week 5 of flowering, leaf tips yellowing..

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Sinister, Oct 15, 2009.

1. #1 Sinister, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
    Hey thanks for checking out my post.. I've been researching this all last night and this morning and I've tried to determine the problem but it seems it could be any number of things..

Sorry but I can't get a picture of them up right now but I'm going to try and explain the situation as best as possible.

Soil: 50%/50% Top Soil and Peat Moss

PH: Hasn't been checked recently but is usually OK, haven't given me problems yet, but right now I don't have a way to test it.

CFL Lighting, room has about 500+ total wattage of lights in it, 90% of them soft white, 2700K, the affected plant has 108watts directly above it and due to new positioning isn't getting blown with the fan, maybe this is contributing to the problem also, but that plant has been in similar situations and has been fine.

Watering with tap water that sits out for 72hrs.. I transplanted the ladies into 5 gallon pots about 2 weeks ago and have been watering like one day, wait 3 and it looks dry, water, then wait 4 and water.. basically right now its day 3 and the soil is dry about a inch+ deep and seems like they need some water.. they have really taken off since the transplant and a majority of the budding has been done in the last 2 weeks since then.

Also, in 5 gallon pots (4 maybe but they are 12 inches) I give them 2 gallons of water every 3/4 days.. so each plant gets roughly 100 ounces a week.. does this seem way too little to anybody? They drink the first few cups up fast and by the 4th one it goes slow and starts to drain out the bottom, but i've heard of plants drinking much, much more.. 2 of the plants are over 4 feet tall, and the other two are 2.5-3.5 feet and very bushy.

But my prize female plant which has given me no problems so far, its got about 27 bud sites and all of em look about %30/40% filled in and ever since I gave them all their first dose of nutrients (15/30/15 bloom booster) the biggest nicest one has gotten yellowed tips on all of its top leaves.

The majority of the top fan/bud leaves have yellowed tips and now I can tell all of the bottom and middle are starting slowly too.. The problem I have is that the internet and forum threads suggest this could be a Nitrogen Deficiency, Overwatering, Heat Stress or Nute Lock.

Now the other 3 of the 4 plants do not have this yellowing thing going on, except for 1 that has it very slightly. So I've only fed them all like 1/4th strength nutrients like twice, and 1/2 str nutrients like 3 times.. So I would like to give them full strength today to help bud production but if this is nute burn that could be a disaster..

Also the heat temps are pretty high but they have always been so I don't know why that would cause problems now, and not the other 13 weeks they've been growing!

If I can manage somehow I will put up a picture, but any advice is welcome, as we speak I haven't given them water today because I don't know what to do to be safe..

Thanks guys.

2. Some bloom boosters cause quite a salt buildup in the soil/grow medium. Have you ever watered them with just plain ph adjusted water? I'd try flushing them 2x the grow container size w/ water.

2 gallons of water per feeding seems fine imo, it depends if you are seeing run off from the bottom of the container or not.

Yellowing at the tips also could be nute burn, its hard to diagnose w/out a pic.

3. #3 Sinister, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
    Hey man thanks so much for the response.

Yea, up until their major transplant about 3 weeks ago, their entire life was pure water. They have only got bloom booster fed at half strength maybe 4 times total... Also, the 2 gallons is the total amount for the 4 plants, just wanted to make that clear because I do often see 5gallon plants get like a gallon a piece.. at about 50 ounces my 4 feet tall plants in their 5 gallon pots have water coming out the bottom.

Daylight hours were running out for the ladies so I went ahead and watered them their usual amounts today, I added in 1tablespoon of molasses per gallon today instead of nutrients, I figure I'd do that and let the nutrients cool off for a week or so before dosing them again, and hoping the molasses help fatten the buds.

I will post some pics very soon, the budsites are starting to become frosty and smell so very good, It smells a lot like trainwreck I think when I caught the first good whiff today it brought back memories of some good cali herb I smoked a bunch of..

Anyways I have never flushed the plants.. about 3 weeks ago I transplanted them from 1.5g to 5g pots and they grew like 6 inches each within 2 weeks and are now budding all over, so I know they liked the switch, but using the top soil and peat moss, I didn't think there were any nutrients in any of that so thats why I was wondering how it could be nute burn.. anyways do you think itd be beneficial to flush them now at this point? I do plan on giving them pure water for 2 straight weeks coming up here in prob 3/4 weeks.

Thanks man and sorry im super baked, am going to try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

4. More impossible to say without a pic. Sorry, but just from the description it's too hard to say.

During late flowering a lot of the fan leaves will yellow, and some will even wither up and die. If this is what it looks like, then it's a natural process, but I can't tell you if that's the case without some pics.

I highly doubt it's nutrient burn, if anything it could be too few nutrients. Nutrient burn will start by just having a brown tip on pretty much all of the leaves, if you continue to burn it spreads in toward the stem/bud.

During mid flowering they can easily take full strength of nutrients, every other watering, and they will like it. Also, that amount of water sounds good. Water them until they drain out the bottom, and stop. Continue that process every 3-4 days sounds pretty good to me. The only way they'll want more than that is if you have them under an HID light in my opinion, CFLs just won't push them like a HPS will.

However, I can't say for sure without a pic, so until you can post, it's really hard to say. If you can rule out pests, and you're sure you're not over-feeding (which form your description it doesn't sound like it) then it's either being underfed, or just the natural process of the plant.