Help New To Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Errly Bird, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Hello everyone. Most of you don't know me, but 1 or 2 might from my previous grows and my current one. Anyways, I'm trying to convert from soil to hydroponics. But I have a lot of researching to do and a lot of questions to ask. My plan is to grow 4 using the DWC method. Each having their own 5 gallon bucket. Conveniently there is a hydroponics store close to my place that has everything imaginable for growing that I can pick up. I have done a small amount of research on hydroponics. And seen it first hand once with an old room mate. I want to start them in rockwool. This is where my first question comes in. How do I start a seed in rockwool? I have always either planted it in the soil or germinated them using paper towels and a bag. I'm guessing its the same concept of planting it in soil? After I get them sprouted where do I go next? Should I wait until they are a certain height before putting into the net pots and in the bucket? And once in the bucket where should my water level be? And once the roots start into the water do I just let them grow deeper into the water, or lower the water level, or trim the roots. I'm not sure about that either. I know I need to clean and give fresh water weekly. And check the p.h. levels daily. What else am I missing? A bit of the specs on my grow room and what i'll be using. I'll be using a 400 watt metal halide/HPS light fixture. Which makes me wonder if I should only grow 2 at a time or if that will be enough lighting for all 4. I already described my plans for the bucket system. With exceptions to the air pump and air stones i'll be getting for it. I have the flora series nutrients. The basics micro, grow, and bloom. The space they have is pretty nice. Going to use a bathtub in a spare room. Again with the 2 or 4 plants issue there. I think there is enough room to fit 4 though honestly I just don't want to overcrowd them or not have enough light. That's pretty much it. If there's anything I forgot to mention please feel free to let me know. I'm trying to learn everything I can about this so I will be successful in my upcoming venture. Thanks for anyone who spends the time to read this and help me.

2. Ok I'm going to try to answer all the questions in order to the best of my ability. 

1. I have sprouted seeds in rockwool with a little piece covering the seed from the light (with enough room to wiggle out though). Never let the rockwool dry out.  I have transplanted from papertowl to rock wool and it works fine. In all honest rockwool sucks. Just start it in soil wait two weeks and transplant into a net pot and your ready to go. 

2. Water level really depends on how much oxygen you have and how you want your roots to look. I can't remember his name but he did a picture of low and high water levels. My personal opinion. Put two airstones in the bucket, fill the water up to the bottom of the netpot and let it do it's thang for a little while. As long as the roots are in the water they will drink. I'm in second week of flower and vegged for 1 1/2 months and I've only had to fill up twice and did one water change. 

3. Kinda hard to answer your question about plants per light. Need to know how long you are vegging, strain, room size, do you have adequate air circulation ect. I like doing tree grows with vertical lighting. I don't know your set up but a month of veg and you could do 4 plants around a 400. Either way you will still end up with about the same yield depending on your veg time.

3. Honestly I never know how long I veg. I just kindof go with what I feel haha. And the space is pretty big. It's a regular sized bathtub. But I have one in soil in there now and it takes up half of it. So I'll probably just a do 2 to save space and money. I'll be getting cotton candy and blue cheese feminized seeds. Probably grow 1 of each each cycle. I just wish I had more funds to make it where I can harvest monthly. But for now it's just a cycle at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum