[HELP] Never done this before

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by puppetmstr, Oct 28, 2010.

1. #1 puppetmstr, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
    I have never grown before fully. Last time was when i was in like 1st grade and it died first week lol. Around here, we only get schwagg most of the time, I want to grow something else for my own personal use because I feel it would be plenty cheaper.

Last night I went out and bought tin foil, 2 75w CFL's (1 broke), Miracle-Gro Moisture Control potting mix, a surge protector, 2 pots, and 2 socket adapters all from walmart.

I setup the foil inside this octagon stand I have and I need to know if its too small? or if its perfect? I want to grow something that doesnt get too huge and I told myself that if I am going to do this, I am going to do this right, so im here.

Pictures of the setup are in the attachments.

So far I had it on all night to see if it was a fire hazard, I dont want my shit starting a fire. I live in a apartment and thats the last thing I need. It is as 80 degrees 80-85 F with only 1 26w CFL, i am not sure if that is too high, low, or perfect.

From what I read, I plant the seed in the soil no more than an inch into the soil and let it grow. But I need to know what else is there besides that? what are the REQUIREMENTS? I am a lightweight so I am not trying to grow the strongest shit on my block, just as strong or a little stronger than schwagg.

Do I need nutrients? where do I get them and how do I apply them? How much do I water them daily? can I use those auto watering things as seen on TV? What is vegging and flowering? A lot of these gardening (or pothead :p) terms are confusing the hell outta me lol.

I want to grow this stuff Nirvana's Blue Mystic Feminized Marijuana Seeds. The look of it seems like it would be some VERY good shit.

Any ideas here? If my setup isn't big enough, I will buy 2 Tupperware containers and stack them on top of each other with some foil (or white paint) and make it a big grow box if I have too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I UPGRADED THE OCTAGON!!! I call it the puzzle box for some reason lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lights got brighter after posting, so yea it is pretty bright.

Attached Files:

2. I haven't grown my first batch yet either but am currently setting up as well, you should look around this site for grow guides and check out what they have to say, it's really helpful, but from what i can tell from your stuff that it will grow but probably most ineffectively. Ive heard that soil isn't the best for growing but I'm not exactly sure. Also I think you don't have near enough light unless you are trying to grow maybe a 6inch plant. Hope this helps, good luck.

3. A few suggestions...

1. Ditch the aluminum foil. You are just asking for trouble. Flat white paint, mylar or an emergency blanket are your best bet.

2. You will need more light. Probably 2 more of those bulbs should do it.

3. Put some type of a plate or tray underneath your container. You need something to trap the runoff.

Soil is fine to grow in. A lot of us do it. It is far easier than hydro, and a lot less can and will go wrong. It's especially good for someone who hasn't grown before.

Read all of the stickies. Especial Grandpa's Grow Guide and Camel's CFL guide.

Good luck.

4. whats wrong with the foil? and I have read a bunch of threads, all of which say different things about growing which is why im so confused lol. I want the simplest grow process.

Idk wtf mediums are lol. Grow mixes? who wants to grow their weed with manure? I dont get it but ok. And I can get more lights and a bigger space easy, but I was worried about my temp because I read another thread that said the lights can burn the plant, I don't want it too hot in their to start a fire, or burn the plant. And I only want a small plant, nothing huge. I pretty much wanna grow a few quarters. Nothing like 10+ ounces, but if it gets that way then i guess im in luck? lol.

Also, the plastic thing below the pot is to catch the runoff. But I can use a plate if needed. Its hard to see the plastic from the looks of it.

5. Preconceptions about yield are way overboard

people do not recomend miracle grow. Time release nutrients will melt your plant. Not today or tomorrow, but they will. Fox farms soil purchased at local hydro shops will ensure a good grow. Don't forget the lime for ph ballancing

secondly tear down your foil. Pick up some Mylar or panda film. Or an emergency blanket(non-shiney side toward plant). Or just paint it white like he said

you light needs to be super close to your plant. And you need 100 watts of actual power not replacement value

Oh and yes medium is the stuff you put your plant in

6. Why not use the foil though? And Its a 26w CFL that is actually a 75w, so Ill just use 2 for one plant? and can I buy the grow stuff online? the nearest shop for me is at least 2 hours away and I highly doubt they have it.

Im thinking about buying a light fixture with 2 bulb adapter and mounting it to the top of a tube container and then painting the inside of the tube white like you suggested. I just dont want the cops to see my electric bill and be like... ok this dude uses a LOT of energy... he might be doing something, lets get a search warrent. Then im fucked lol.

7. Hahahahaha. Cops don't care about your one plant grow. Calm down. Cfls don't use much juice

foil is not reflective in the right spectum. Total waste of time. There is a whole sticky on this very topic in the lighting forum I'm just to lazy to link it for you. Just take my word. Rip it down. Paint it white.

Make your own soil. Read my sig. Visit a local nursery.

8. In Iowa we can't possess even the smallest amount of weed at all. If we get caught its a $1000 fine and probation automatically. Second time caught is jail time. Although the first time depends on how much you have. If I were to get caught, have a plant, id be arrested, and probably sent to jail for 30 days. Trust me, cops care here. I wish it was more like other states though where you can have 1 plant.

Anyways, ill read into making my own "medium" as people like to call it. But are you sure I cannot get fox farm online?

And where would mylar, or panda be at?

I swear, I think they just need to make a kit with all the shit in it for like $100 with instructions lol.

Hey, would a PC case work without the film or paint? Cus i build computers lol.

9. Yes, you can order fox farm online. Biggest problem is the cost of shipping. My advice is to go to their website and look for a local retailer.

You can also get mylar and panda film online. Google it.

You can grow in a PC case, but if you have the space why would you? You can get mylar pretty cheap, not worth downsizing your grow IMHO.

As for the light, it is only 26W. You have to look at actual wattage, not equivalent. You would want 3-4 per plant to maximize growth.

Good luck.

10. Yes. That's what it is for. Couldn't see it in the pics. You can ignore that suggestion.

Good luck.

11. Well im gonna buy a quarter bag tonight and hopefully get a few seeds. I will probably end up buying the farm stuff tonight online as well as that other stuff, but another question was can I use miracle gro anyways? or will it kill the plant and not give me any bud at all?

12. I have seen people grow with regular miracle grow just fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. The ferts are just too strong for seedlings, and you have no contol over the nutrient needs of your plant.

If you want, you can use Miracle Grow Organic. I don't think it is pre-ferted, if it is it is very low. Make sure you get some vermiculite and possibly some perlite to assist in draining.

Good luck.

13. #13 greenie1983, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
    My first grow is with Miracle grow, perlite, and peat moss (trying to grow with the minimal cost in mind). The fan leaves show nute burn the entire grow so far. I'm on week 6 of flowering. besides the fans yellowing or falling off, everything is going well. If you only have the miracle grow. don't hesitate just because there are better options. Besides, it's best to actually experience a full grow before you start to invest the big bucks. Just to get all the kinks out, And if all goes well. clone the plant just in case it's some goodie.

14. The bag of the stuff I got says

Code:
    "Moisture Control", "protects against over and underwatering"". 

Ingredients

sphagnum, peat moss, forest product compost, coir pith fiber, prelite, a wetting agent, and fertilizer.

Total Nitrogen 0.21%

0.12% ammoniacal nitrogen

0.09% nitrate nitrogen

Available phosphate (P2OS) 0.07%

Soluble potash (K2O) 0.14%

Iron (fe) 0.10%

0.10 water soluble iron (Fe)

15. Friends, .. Don't let Friends Use Miracle Grow. *( OSG Vibe ) .. .. :smoke:

16. Im gonna try it to get the hang of how growing really works, then im gonna do the Blackberry stuff with the best stuff and i'd even make my box bigger. This is all just experimenting pretty much.

I just wish I can find mylar or panda film in my hometown at a store. Would that be in like hardware?

17. Mylar and panda film are tough to find locally. Typically you can find them at a hydroponics store, but not everyone has one nearby.

If you are worried about ordering them online, don't be. There are lots of legitimate reasons to purchase mylar and panda film.

Good luck.

18. I think he was not referring to if they would care if you got caught, but the fact that a one plant grow is NOT going to affect your energy usage at all. Many household things use MUCH more power than a couple CFL's.

Also, DO NOT use the 75 watt equiv. that you said, always use the actual wattage so your lights are really 26 watt. You are going to need about 100 watts for 1 plant, and 30-50 watts for every other plant. I suggest you get the 42 watt cfl's and some y splitters, theres no such thing as too much light.

19. I painted it white and got another bulb installed. I am waiting for the socket adapters to come in so I can get the third light installed. I am using a surge protector with the lights, thats why I was testing for fire hazards. Idk how much watts this thing can take.

What is a perfect temp for the stuff?

And another question I asked is if I can use those Aqua Globes
    [​IMG]

I will post pics of what I did to it when I get the time. Getting a Half an ounce tonight for $60 and gonna fish out the seeds and start some tonight. Should I use 1 or more seeds? And is there a way to find out if their female before planting? If not ill just hope its a female and if its a male then if gives me practice for the real thing, and when do the females usually start showing? Does it start growing white hairs?

20. Perfect temp is 78 degrees F. Try to stay within +/- 10 degrees of there and you will be fine.

Might I suggest growing 2 plants. Your chances of a female are 50/50. If you grow 2 plants you at least double your odds.

The plants will show preflowers around 8 weeks. You will not know the sex before then unless you switch to 12/12. If you want to make sure you don't waste your time growing males, you can go to 12/12 after a week or two of veg to determine sex. Then, kill any males and reveg any females.

Make sure you read all of the grow guides. Especially Grandpa's Grow Guide and Kamel's CFL guide. Lot's of useful info in them for novice growers.

Good luck.