Help, my plants seem to have outgrown the greenhouse and it's only July!

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by RogerT, Jul 17, 2011.

1. This year I planted 3 seeds in the greenhouse rather than in pots (Pineapple Kush, White LSD and Strawberry Cough!), all feminized.
    About 3 weeks ago I noticed they were growing a bit too high too fast, so I topped them all about 3 nodes down from the top. It hasn't slowed them and they are all now butting up against the top of the greenhouse which is made of plastic. So for example the PK seed which has done the best is now over 6 feet tall and about 4 feet across, it is very impressive at this stage as it is really only half way through its life! We are still mid july and the plants didn't even flower yet, so I am bit worried about them doubling again in size when there is really not much place for them to go. The leaves are already pressing up against the plastic greenhouse cover, so I am worried about fungi and mold due to the contact with plastic. I don't really want to try moving them to outside, plus it's not cool here to grow (illegal), so the GH at least offers some privacy.
    Any ideas?

2. you might be able to try some LST, but, I'm not 100% certain on that if they are 6ft tall or so - and I am by no means an expert on LST.

Are they in pots or in the ground? If you have them in pots, do you have them on a bench? If so, lowering this bench might help. I would also suggest either topping more of the top branches. It should slow growth and get more tops for higher quality buds. OR, you might also be able to top some of the lower branches and bush it out a bit more.

3. I'd recommend putting the greenhouse on cinderblocks, plan B would be burring the put but its in the ground 4 life.

4. I like the cider block idea 3 high . That would give you some room. Be very careful , I would LST very gently. Using twine you should be able to pull them down gently, a little every day.

5. supercropping? i supercropped to half the height and makes it a much wider plant. it is also easy to learn to do and requires little work

6. Top them again 12-18 inches, they will start to bloom in a few weeks and should slow down some. This plus a gentle lst could keep them in the greenhouse. The cinder block plan might give enough space to flower.

PW

7. Is the greenhouse on dirt? If so would it be possible to dig holes 3-4’ deep and sit the pots in those? Sounds like you have a good problem. I like those kind.

8. Re-pot the plants at a steep angle, as close to horizontal as possible. Hang a weight at the top of each plant to keep that apical tip from going vertical again. With any luck, the side branches should go crazy. hang weights from any side branches that go too crazy. If you really need to prune, root those cuttings and keep them in the greenhouse. That's what I'd do at least. Definitely sounds like a good problem. :)

9. Lol, go buy cinderblocks and put your green house on top.

10. I am in the same boat as the OP. I have 6 plants that are 8 ft tall. I have already had to (eep) prune a pathway in there. I filled up a 60l plastic tote with leaves and stems(all packed down).

I have supercropped the heck out of them yesterday. Bent each stem twice, so they are like an upside down J now. I hope that helps. I can't really put mine on cinderblocks. If they pop back up its time to tie them down

11. Thanks for all the info.
    I bent them over and gained an extra foot or so, of course they are now a foot higher so I am losing the battle.
    I ended up moving strawberry cough and thought it would kill it, but it has recovered nicely and now has more room.
    the PK has gone mad with the extra room and now pretty much blocks the GH entrance!
    Roll on flowering so they will at least slow down. In the meantime I will keep bending them into the available space and headroom to keep them off the plastic.
    I grew in pots last year and the biggest was about 5 foot high and a couple of feet across, so I was totally unprepared for these monsters in native soil that are 7-8 foot tall and 5 feet across! Will be curious to see how much bud I get off each plant and how much oil that makes.

12. If in pots you can dig a pit in the ground and place the pot in it and/or raise the greenhouse itself as another user suggested

13. I would suggest getting a larger greenhoush next time . Not the 6ft tall homedepot special. fer $200

14. u better realize that they will double after flowering starts.......sativa dom will triple
    u havent seen anything yet
    im keeping mine 1/2 as high as the g/h by flowering time (basically any day now)...ive already started cropping mine......cause i know they are going to blow up again
    u need to expect them triple what they are today..............

15. Dude, put out the joint and drink a cup of coffee before posting, you aren't helpful or even close to the mark. :rolleyes:

16. So you're saying I can expect the plants to reach 15 - 25 feet each (from seed)? I don't think so, but will let you know. So far, they are topping 8 feet so have def slowed down on the vertical. The PK (100% indica) is getting broader and the stem is about as thick as my wife's wrist at this point.
    Nothing like growing in pots last year, they maxed out at about 5ft!

17. you'll have 7-8 footers.

18. Awww come on bro'.
    I said in the post directly above yours that they're already topping 8ft.
    Are you posting stoned? :D

19. Hey Bro, I have the same problem. I live in the great state of Montana where men are men and sheep are scared!lol I'm currenbtly a med. marijuana card holder where the laws here concerning med. marijuana are changing all the time!!!!!! So I thought I would grow as much as I can before the laws change again. So I'm currently growing 3-Barneys Farm LSD's, 1-G-13 Labs pineapple express, 1-G-13 Labs Blueberry Gum and 1- DNA Sour cream and the seeds are all feminized. The sour cream is in a 12 Gal. all in a 7 by 12 by 7 ft. high ebay purchased greenhouse. I've grown the LSD's before and the rest are Attitude freebies. I thought since they are Indica Dom. plants they would be short in height (not more than 5ft.) but I was dead wrong!!!!!!!!!!! I know indoors the LSD's I've grown in the past only grew about 3ft. to 3 1/2ft. tall indoors. By the way these were all started from seeds. I can barely get into my greenhouse!!!! I can't raise my greenhouse either because I placed wooden pallets along my greenhouse which are attached along the sides and the end of the greenhouse, plus drove 3 1/2 ft. spikes at each corner of the greenhouse. You may think it is over kill, but we here in Eastern Montana have thunder storms on a daily bases with sometimes 60 plus mile and hour winds! I've LSD'ed the piss out of them, tied them down over a ft. and currently supercropping them like crazy. But like I said my greenhouse is full!!!!! I should have listened to my wife and just plant 2 in my greenhouse. I'm at the point of getting my pruners and just start chopping!!! Plus I forgot I have two box fans going 24/7 They are all very healthy for not being fed for awhile, just plain well water and thats it. I'm using GH flora nova nutes and I have a sample of Advanced Rhino Skin (Silica) since all the bending, and pulling on my plants. With all the rough treatment I bought some Dutch Master Reverse for possible hemis. So does anyone have any comments on me pruning my tops a foot or so? Peace

20. One more thing, my plants are showing sex (female), but still not flowering yet!!!!