Help me with calculation of lighting?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whereistupac, Mar 9, 2014.

1. I have heard that you can calculate how much your going to spend for your electrical bill. But it all depends on where you live, & how much the company charges. So here is a picture of my electrical bill, & I'm looking for answers on how to find out how much I'll be spending each month if I get growing lights. 

View attachment 1394330

Anybody know how to calculate this? 

Thank you!

2. #2 bananamber, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
    Go to your electric company's website. They should have the rates listed per kWh. Like my electric company currently charges $0.12079/kWh, which I now see was doubled from last month -_-

Your attachment doesn't work for me, but to figure the rate through the bill, divide the total price in dollars by the total kWh. So say I used 2000kWh in one billing cycle. I'd take my total, which is say $500 and divide that by 2000. So 500/2000=$0.25/kWh. But it's best to go by the price on the website since the bill might include service fees and other crap. Also, from my experience, electric bills usually explicitly specify the rate you're being charged at.

So say you're running 2kW of light. 2*$.12=$.24/hr*18=$4.32/day*~60 (If your billing cycle is 2 months)=$259.20/2mo.

It won't give you exactly how much you pay since things aren't 100% efficient but it will give you a good idea of how much you can expect to see tacked onto your next bill.

3. I've never heard of anyone not living in really remote area paying more than 14 cents per kilowatt hour...thats gotta hurt. Some places have time of usage rates that depend on when you use the electricity (smart meters) so if you have this in your area you can save money by having the lights on when the rates are lower and turn the lights of for the dark period.