Help me understand evil

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Postal Blowfish, Oct 15, 2010.

1. What constitutes evil?

Where does it come from?

Why does it continue to exist?

Tell me all your thoughts on evil.

2. #2 teh_biscuit, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
    1. Nothing really, but anything really as well. Evil essentially has no form. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
    2. The Mind.
    3. Because people don't understand the Self.

3. If evil is nothing, why did you answer the other two questions?

4. Did you react to the post, or did you understand it?

5. I personally don't believe there is an objective definition of evil.

6. terrorism is evil to me
    brainwashing to

7. evil is subjective to society. sexists, pedophiles, murderers; are all only evil now. want proof?

most cultures even today such as the middle east and asia
    Greece or any civilization before cristianity that had children basically
    feudal era, spanish inquisition, crusades

there are times in history where very taboo things in our society are acceptable. how can we have evil and good, expecially to base ones fate off of its judgement, if everyones axis of good/evil is off of one another?

8. #8 Postal Blowfish, Oct 15, 2010
    I didn't ask for objective definitions, I am asking for your thoughts.

these are examples. what is it about these things that makes them evil

Let's assume it's whatever you're implying and see if you can finally answer the questions.

9. A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. What does this have to do with evil

11. I think when people stop taking responsibility for themselves they start asking questions like this. Not directly referring to you of course :D

12. hmmm tough questions
    so ill just love the answers people give, i have none

13. #13 Insurgency, Oct 15, 2010
    Evil is nothing, it is an abstract word given to a certain situation that happens in reality. This is why it has no sound definition, we can all come up with concepts of evil.

It comes from the mind. It comes from the observation of exploitation. Anything that takes advantage of another, with no return, is considered an 'evil.' Once again, this can vary to very many personal speculations.

Because we continue to look for problems. There is still exploitation, but there are so many different opinions in beliefs in the world that people will continue to observe faults. Faults that can be used.

+rep my friend. I hope to have more discussions with you on this forum.

14. There's no such thing as evil.

15. Since everyone keeps telling me there is no definition I decided to look in the dictionary. There are several, and the reference moral principle. So, what is considered immoral?

Is it evil because someone considers it evil, or is it evil because it was meant to be evil? If it is evil because it is considered evil, should we trust in that circle? If it is evil because it was meant to be evil, why would a person do something like that?

Your answer is that it continues to exist because people observe it happening?

Do you think there are things that a majority of people could agree are evil?

16. Since everyone keeps telling me there is no definition I decided to look in the dictionary. There are several, and the reference moral principle. So, what is considered immoral?
    Well, we must define moral then. As stated, everyone can have their own opinions. We can see morality codes in all religions. Yet how do we know what is truly moral. I would describe moral as one would describe a god. All loving, all knowing, all powerful. Gibberish junk? I argue that moral is loving all, no divisions, nothing. But we need to know how to love properly. We must observe the situation and act unbiased.We need power to be unbiased, because we can not be persuaded by personal interests or beliefs. We must find a balance between the characteristics.

Anything not acting like that, I would consider immoral.

Is it evil because someone considers it evil, or is it evil because it was meant to be evil? If it is evil because it is considered evil, should we trust in that circle? If it is evil because it was meant to be evil, why would a person do something like that?
    Both happen, but the statement someone takes the food has no meaning. It is observation. When we change that statement to someone steals the food, it takes on a completely knew meaning. I guess it depends on the observers opinion and the defendants intention.

Your answer is that it continues to exist because people observe it happening?

What else would it be if no one was there to describe it?

Do you think there are things that a majority of people could agree are evil?

Um, yes haha.

17. Evil, it's what takes away that happiness you have.

18. From a sociological point of view, what is immoral is that which falls outside the established cultural norms of a given community. In the most general sense, these cultural norms are traditional behaviors, rites, beliefs, values, attitudes etc. that have allowed a people to establish a sense of cultural identity distinct from another group of people. So evil is any behavior, rite, belief, value or attitude that disrupts the social cohesiveness of the group.

So barring any spiritual dimension of th term, evil is simply nonconformity.:D

19. #19 Postal Blowfish, Oct 15, 2010
    This isn't very clear to me. Are you saying that morality is about universal love? Do you believe there is a proper "way" to love and that people need to be taught? I'm also confused about bias. I think you might have made a typo?

Why should I buy into the circular logic? Your version of evil seems to allow you to condemn accidents.

What would you say are some examples of that?

Can you elaborate on this?

Sociology 101. :) The problem with Soc here is that I expect a concept like evil to address intent and Soc is usually more concerned with the big picture.

20. No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.

-Mary Wollstonecraft