Help me start this over, yeah?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trimAesthetic, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm kinda new to the city :,

I rushed into growing two plants in my closet with a 400w hps light, a bubbleponic grow kit, and the little bag of nutrient that came with it. They grew pretty well for about a week, but froze up immediately after and developed yellow spots that snapped off at touch. I had them on somewhat sporadic yet consistent hours (in that I would turn the lights off at 6 on one night and 7 on the next, though always compensating the extra exposure with more equivalent darkness). I had the light about 7-8 inches away because some kid that got high and became a growing expert fooled me with his "educated suggestion", but since moved it up to 18 inches on the 12th day.

I also have 4 drip tubes, and have 1 hose on each plant directly on the spongy, earth-made plug that's held them since post germination. Here's a picture of Azula as i'm sure it will help.

[​IMG]
    (I know my camera sucks, the point was more so to show you what I meant by the plug's abstract description)

I don't know if I'm drowning the roots in constant moisture with the soaking plug or if I'm just nourishing incorrectly (as I'm just using half a teaspoon of the "Super Concentrated Nutrient Mix" per each gallon in the setup as was instructed with the kit.

I've given up on the proud notion that I don't need to stop and ask for directions and appreciate any advise you guys could lend.

2. I don't know anything about bubbleponic grow kits, but I do know a little bit about cameras. There is nothing wrong with your camera. Maybe it's not a great camera, but it is perfectly capable of capturing clear images.

In this case, for instance, your camera captured a clear image of the base of you lamp. An automatic camera is going to look for some prominent feature in the center of the image to focus on. Rather than pick the wispy vegetation in the foreground, it picked the solid and substantial lamp base in the background. It guessed wrong. But there is a way to persuade it to give you the image you want.

When you press the camera's trigger button halfway down, it focuses the image. When you press the button all the way down, it captures the image. This two step process allows you to focus on the most substantial feature in the middle of your image and then recenter the image before taking the picture. For example, you can point the camera squarely at the "spongy, earth-made plug", depress the trigger button half way, getting the camera to focus on the plug, then shift the camera position so that the seedling is in the center of the image before you snap the photo. The plug is just about as far away from the camera lens as the seedling, so the resulting image of the seedling should be in focus. The base of the lamp, on the other hand, will be blurry.

You posted your question in the right place. Hopefully someone who knows something about bubbleponics will happen along. Good luck and welcome to the city. :wave:

3. how old is the seedling?
    that little one looks too young for any kind of nutes yet...looks like nute burn from what I can tell. seedlings don't need nutes for the first 10-14 days. I'd flush with ph balanced water - no nutes - give it a week to bounce back from the damage before feeding again if it's old enough at that point. And then start at 1/4 strength, give it about a week before increasing a little again.

what's ur ph?

how many hours of dark??
    put your hand right over the top of the plant while the light is on, and if it's not comfortable for your hand, it's too hot for your plant ;)

you don't want it to be too wet or too dry.

there are some really good stickies in absolute beginners, indoor grow journals, sick plants...that'll help you with your grow. Check them out ;)