Help me pick a strain?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by W33D_Y3TI_, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Hey guys, so I've got a grow box build and its looking pretty nice. I have all the supplies needed such as lights, soil and such. The only thing I don't have yet is the seeds (the most important part!)
    So I was wondering if you guys could help me pick out a strain. I was thinking about buying form Nirvana seed bank, but it doesn't really matter. So these are the things I need to keep in mind while picking out a strain

-Height: I need it to be SHORT, like around 2 1/2 - 4 feet mature
    -Type: Indica/Sativa hybrid would be best
    -Smell: I need it on the down-low so a low smelling plant similar to Blue Mystic would be nice, but it doesn't matter too much. I know it's going to smell crazy bad.
    Yield: Medium to Large
    Flowering Time: Short to Medium

If you guys could help me out and give a few suggestions for a strain that would be best, that would be GREAT. Thank you all :smoke:

2. A few strains I've considered is Big Bud, PPP, THC Bomb, Bubblelicous, and Blue Mystic

3. I'm on my first indoor grow and mt Trainwreck has been nothing but a bundle of joy. I picked them up as clones from my local dispensary and found out later that they are recommended for first=time growers because of their hardiness, :smoke:

4. THC bomb is quite fun to grow :cool:

She didn't smell much either.

5. cool, I'll check it out :D

6. Where do oyu guys suggest I buy from that ships in the US?

7. The Big Bud is a great choice indica. The Blue Mystic wasn't anything special in my own grow room, very tempermental. I'm running Ice next time around, maybe that's a good one for you as well.

8. dont trainwrecks get big as hell? I'm a newb, so i wouldn't really know.

Anyways, from what i've read, if size and smell are an issue, short ryder maybe something you want to look at.

I'm doing my first grow now and its a short ryder. Smell is my main concern since i live in an apartment, but i figure if i only grow one plant at a time with a shitload of air fresheners i should be ok.

if guys can grow them in PC cases without anyone knowing i don't see why my cabinet would be any different.

btw, the seeds i got were short rider fem's from nirvana. i've read alot of mixed reviews on their seeds but hopefully my shit will grow proper.

Good luck

9. thanks man. yeah i checked out short rider, too. It looked pretty nice. If your worried about smell, I found this great thing on the site that has fantastic reviews. I'm going to build one as soon as I get my seeds
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/144976-perfect-odour-neutralizer.html

10. Okay cool. I was thinking Big Bud because I hear it has a huge yield and is really short, but I'm looking for more of a hybrid or sativa

11. Yes, Trainwreck can get VERY big. I vegged mine for 3 weeks and started 12/12 when they were 15-16" tall. I have tied them down now,(LST). They are 28" tall tied down but they have multiple colas. If they weren't tied down, I would estimate a height of 40-48". I just finished my third week of flower and they seem to have stopped growing now and are focusing their enegy into making those buds fat!:smoke:

12. Very nice! I can't wait to start my first grow :D

13. Do you guys know anything about Norther Light? I hear it's pretty short and has a decent yield and also very low-odor.
    But half the sites i check say its a mostly indica/hybrid and half say its a mostly sativa/hybrid. Can anyone tell me if its indica, sativa, or half/half?

14. Don't forget in an indoor setting you can controll the height with several methods. LST, ScROG, Lollipopping, and best of all, picking when you go into flowering. Most plants will double or triple from veg to flower (I'm gonne test this myself with a 13 week sativa. First grow, flowered at 20"... we'll see if they only get to 60". These bastards have been growing!!!)

So If you did a short veg, you can control the size of the flowering plant. Just plant more to compensate. Since you haven't starting growing yet, May I suggest you look into triaing methods such as LST, I know I wish I would have.

15. This is going from pure speculation do to reading, movies, etc... it seems everything is crossed with northern lights these days. I assume theres a reason, and my guess would be ease of growing. I remember watching one of the greenhouse seed videos, and them talking about crossing a strain with northern lights to make it easier to maintain.