Help me perfect my plans for my first grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by The Lost Boy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Well, ok, I'm preparing for my first grow, and here's my shopping list;

2 x osram 400w Son-T-Plus lamps...£40 for both of them
    Maxi switch 2 way light controller...£33
    2x E40 Lamp holder...around £5 each.
    An earth box, i know there are alternatives. But this is easiest for me...£36
    Ozone generator...£20
    and of course some Laughing Buddha seeds ;)...£50 for 5 seeds. The link to the seeds is: Barney's Farm - Laughing Buddha Feminised So I've planned the size4 of my grow area around the dimensions of the plant. Also can someone tell me that if it says 450g per m2...How many m2 is there on a plant 90cm tall? I'm shit at maths ect and so could do with a hand here to have a good idea of my predicted yield.

I'm planning to cover the insides of a cardboard box (3'x2'x4')with tin foil. To prevent escaping heat energy as I live in an area with a considerable police prescence. So that should keep those pesky choppers out of my box. I'll then place the earthbox inside with the lamps set up and then carry on with the narmal growing process :).

Although I'm using a hydroponic system I will still try to use the LST method. I have my own plans for this which I'll illustrate at a further point in a few days or so.

I'm also going to have a small, and I mean small, fan inside the box. Maybe the size of a pocket fan? and opposite that i will have a straw bent in a _|- shape. To allow air to circulate whilst letting no excess light in.

I think I've covered everything...any questions about anythign do ask and any advice PLEASE give.

Oh by the way I'm using the

• 760gm Bag of 5-6-6 Organic Fertiliser
    • 450gm Bag of Natural Dolomite w/ Trace Elements supplied with the earthbox.

Am I right in assuming that as in plant pot growing I don't add the fertilser until 3 weeks into the grow? Or is the rule of thumb on ferts when using hydroponics different?

If you've got to here thanks for spending you time to help a noob and thanks in advance for any help :)

2. #2 Miguel420, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    You can't just buy HPS bulbs, you need a ballast.
    Those predicted yield figures (450g per m2) are useless. They don't really mean anything.
    Use a PC fan (or two) connected to a DC adapter, not a pocket fan.
    You need to get hydroponic nutrients, you'll run into trouble using soil nutes in a hydro system.

Also, I suggest you buy cheaper seeds for your first grow. You're likely to fuck it up, nirvana have cheap seeds (try attitude or pick and mix seeds)

3. Oh, well I assumed those nutrients would be fine as they are what comes with the earth box...

Could you provide me with links at all to any of this stuff :)?
    It's such an effort finding all the essential equipment.

I know cheaper seeds would be a better option. But I'm growing 2 plants a time. So a pack of 5 will support a couple of practise grows and I have the cash to spend :)

4. I dunno what the Earth box is like, and what it's nutrients are best suited for. Google "Lucas Formula", it's a simple formula for hydro systems.
    And really 50 quid for 5 seeds is shit, dont be fooled by that ridiculous bud pic

5. Ah, I'll check that formula out sometime tomorrow. I should really be in bed. But this site is almost as enjoyable as the bud itself.

Well what would you recommened for some good, high THC bud at a reasonable price :)?

I will check out nirvana, but I want something with a very spacey, spinny high. Which I'll also try making energetic by checking on the trichromes and harvesting when they're mainly cloudy.

Also one thing I'm quite unsure on, what is the point at which you swap the light conditions?
    Is it when you want your plant to flower and bud...or what?
    That's my last uncertainty that I can't seem to clarify from any of the advice I have read :/

6. I'll PM you a link for seeds.
    You can switch up the lighting whenever you want the plant to flower, usuallly after at least a month of vegetative growth.

7. Sound :)

I think I'll probably let it vegetate for two months...possibly more.
    My main problem is how tall the plant gets, hence using LST rather than just leaving it to its own devices.

Thanks for all the help. Definately +rep

8. There's a good guide for the spiral LST technique in the sticky at the top of the forum. I've had good results with it. Careful not to veg too long though as it will really fill out when you begin to flower.
    Good luck man