Help me diagnose my new plant please! (pics)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by llama, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Hey guys I'm new to growing, and my plant is looking a little iffy.

I checked out the plant abuse chart, and it looks like it could either be over watering or nitrogen deficiency.

Its just been transplanted to supersoil brand soil, and it gets mostly plain water, with a little Super thrive once in a while, under 2 18" flouro lights

also, It had a rough transplant due to my lack of skill, so it sustained some root and stem damage, hopefully it will recover...
    What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks a little like PH sadness..whats your Ph at?

3. i dont have a ph meter, and i wont be able to get one for another two weeks :(

4. what is generally done to fix the ph, mabye i could just try it.

5. I'm having a similar issue with my seedlings that are a little smaller than yours, one more than the other. My pH test kit says the soil is good (6.5-7.0) but I'm not totally sure about how accurate it is.

I can't believe that I'm overwatering it, either. I only water 3x a week and the soil gets totally dry in between waterings.

6. go to a pet store and get a chemy test kit...100% reliable...2.50$...most municipal water is very alkaline:eek:...blue on your test kit...that little ph kit saved my grow...if you have a hydro shop buy ph down for straight watering and you will most likley need ph up for flowering nutes...the recomended veg nute by miracle grow drops my alkaline tap water to the corrrect ph on its own:cool:...must know ph at all times, can't emphasie that enough...cheers.

7. ive been using mostly distilled water...

8. I'm definitely no expert, but I had plants that looked like that recently. Droopy, yellow on the lower leaves, seemed more interested in growing new leaf sets than growing UP.

I added magnesium in the form of Epsom Salts, one teaspoon per gallon in distilled water, and the plants doubled in size within three or four days! I'm using Miracle Grow organic potting mix, and maybe it doesn't have enough Mg or something. Of course I'm guessing here, but I went from wimpy little one-inch plants to healthy-looking flowering ones in about two weeks.

Okay, one of them was a healthy-looking MALE plant (now deceased), but... At least I got it growing, right?

That might not be your problem, but on the other hand, adding Epsom Salt once probably won't hurt anything. Make sure you mix it up well.

Oh, and my grocery store distilled water is about 6.0 pH. Yours probably is too?

9. your plant is hungry. start feeding at 1/4 strength. also, i'd transplant again and add some perlite to the mix. don't worry too much about damaging roots. when keeping mothers, a massive amount of roots are chopped off annually to keep her smaller, just be careful.

10. Well, I got another, nicer pH test today and it gave me different results than my other kit. Turns out my tap is around 8.0, and so I ordered some pH up and down solutions to use when watering from now on.

Does tap water usually stay about the same pH or should I test more often?

11. yeah it will always be 8...do you let your tap water sit for 24 hours?...also get a cheap chemy kit for backup...ph is essential, between 6.5 and 6.8 is ideal for soil grow...:)cheers.

12. just my .02

Always check/adjust your PH when you water & feed (after you add nutes) and calibrate your meter once a week to be on the safe side

13. Here is an update, it seems to be growing very slowly now, and the yellowing on the lower leaves is worse.
    [​IMG]

Like i said i cant afford anything for it right now, so checking the PH is out. I can barely afford .63$ for a gallon of distilled water.

Is it dying? or will it survive?

The baby seems to be growing really slowly too, it has barely sprouted its second set of leaves in like 4 days.

14. could it be the soil? its supersoil brand in the brown bag. I forget the percentages, but it was pretty high in nitrogen...

15. it must be the ferts i used, because it was doing fine before i added those to the mix. I was just growing it in regular miracle grow soil in cut up pop can, and it grew like a weed, then i transplanted it and started using miracle grow and superthrive on em, and now they are suffering, im gonna cut the nutes, and try to flush them a bit with some clean water.

16. suprised GG hasn't sniped this thread yet, he is usually fast to reply give it another day, he is bound to see this and tell you probably exaclty what is wrong with it, assuming your open to his diagnosis

17. Ok... waiting... semi patiently.