Help me design this box please

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by kushriddim, Jul 27, 2011.

1. So I have decided to post this in the Micro Grow section in the hopes to get more input.

Whats up guys & gals? So here's the deal. I have 2 Aurora Indica plants vegging now. Both ten days old. I was planning on just finishing out in the PC's they are in, however, the PC thing just isnt going to work for me.

With that said, here is what I was able to pick up over the weekend at a garage sale to construct my box out of. Not a bad pick up for a mere .25 cents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I am up in the air as how I want to construct this box. That is why I am here. [​IMG]

Now in a perfect world, you guys will lead me in the right direction to turn this into one kick ass, perpetual system.

The inside dimensions are 33"w X 14"d X 24"h

I will start by refinishing the cabinet with an ebony stain & fitting it with modern hardware, as it will theoretically be my new TV stand for my 48" LED tv. [​IMG]

I wanted to go hydro with this, however I am afraid with the water noise coupled with fan noise, it may be difficult to keep it "stealth"

Stealth will be a big factor, however not a big enough issue to take a big loss in yield.

As far as yield is concerned, I am hoping to turn this cab into a perpetual machine that will allow me to keep at least 4ozs of top quality, homegrown smoke on hand per month. The lady and I like to smoke. [​IMG]

I originally planned on doing half for veg & half for flowering by creating a center partition. Should I knock that back to 1/4 veg & 3/4 flowering, or get me a seperate veg box?

I am up in the air as to which lights, ventilation, etc I will be using, but I do know that odor control will be very important to me.

So come on guys, give me your suggestions. What would be the best way to construct this cabinet to produce the yield I need?

I would like to keep my budget to under 800.00 usd if possible.

Thanks in advance, for any input is appreciated & will be strongly considered.

2. #2 Bongsauce, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
    as far as noise with hydro....water pumps are much quieter then air pumps 99% of the time...but the water pumps create more actual water noise if that makes sense...so if you do a waterpump setup and make the weater "return" as quietly as possible (not fall) then you can make a pretty quiet setup.

800 is nice to work with :) how are your wiring skills and stuff? can you wire in a wall plug in or a pc fan? I'd do an NGB cabinet design with 50% flower 25% veg and 25% fan/filter/electric room. I dunno if that would pull 4oz a month though...might want to put the veg stuff in another cab and make the whole thing for flowering if you're gonna need steady flow of over 2oz's a month.

I've built alot of stuff like this...I can recommend equipment and stuff to if ya want. It all depends on what you're comfortable building though...it can stay simple or get complex with auto temp controls and stuff. :)

edit* just a quik sketch attached to get those gears turnin..I was in a hurry ;) I guess it's more like 20% / 20% and 80%

Attached Files:

3. Well so long as it doesn't sound like a waterfall inside, I am game. Which hydroponic system would you recommend. Aeroponics really intrigues me, is it good for beginners?
    As far as tge construction of the cabinet, I am capable of doing all the work. Wiring, carpentry, plumbing, etc.
    So fire away.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is NGB?

4. I have an idea what NGB stands for but im so unsure I dare not say.

About the cabinet, you have so much room why not go for like scrog and do big fast harvests? But I digress from your plans,

As far as lights I've heard if you purchase the right LEDs you can get great results, and seeing as you want stealth less heat means less noise from fans? But if you want classic (which I prefer) I don't see what beats a good ol' fanshioned HPS; coupled with some nice CFls maybe

5. For lights i would suggest t5's or leds. Good for small spaces such as yours.

6. NGB stands for new ganja boy I think..it's a style of cabinet that he coined a while back on OG forums I guess..

I do all cfls or maybe a small hps supported with some cfls...I'd maybe run a small panasonic whisper fan with a carbon tray style filter..the fan shipped should be about 110$ but it is super quiet and worth the money...might be a little over kill though for your size...maybe you could get away with pc fans. I run a scythe "kaze server" fan controller and it kicks as..has automatic fan controls to keep your temps steady...high temp alarms and 4 temp sensors..not too hard to wire in...just a lot of wires. For cfls I'd run pll style lighting..ordered from 1000bulbs. Either 36w or 55w depending what you can fit.

Also on the boxes I build I like to put a plug in the back for the crod...so that when I need to move it I don't have a cord hanging out...check out my double speaker cab mother box thing in my thread...it's got alot of extras and some of the equipment I've mentioned. Even has working speakers and a plugin for my mp3 player ;) ...but it's a great example of how wiring can all be installed without having powerstrips and stuff. It's all hardwired with a inwall timer and even has a spare plugin on a switch. The wiring schematic for it makes my head spin...but like I said it has alot of extras.

7. Would it be possible to pull 2 ozs a month running hydro, vegging with cfl, and flowering with a 250 w HPS? I would be satisfied with that to get started with.

8. What kind of diy hydro setup would you recommend?

9. just a plain ole bubbler type..like a light proofed plastic container with a few netpots in it, airstones and and cheapo airpump. Air pumps are easier to work with then water pumps since they don't heat up the water...might have a slight buzzzzz though. Oddly enough the slightly larger aquaculture dual outlet air pumps are much quieter then the smaller ones.

I also recommend lucas formula for a very easy, cheep nute mix.

:wave: