Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Help me clear this up

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by WEEirDo, Aug 17, 2009.

1. #1 WEEirDo, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
    Here are the official rules from the website. What I am wondering is, it says up to 12 plants for both the patient and care giver, but what Im not sure about is, can both the patient and care giver grow? I wanna say no?

Also, it says 2.5oz of ready to use bud and up to 12 plants. Now, obviously if youre growing 12 plants, youll have way over 2.5oz of bud. So what do you do with the extra bud?

Another question I have is, below in section 4a), it essentially says the care giver cant be arrested for possessing MJ or using it right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum up the more relevant rules:

Relevant to patients:

1a) The patient can have up to 2.5 ounces on them at a time

2a) Up to 12 plants in a enclosed and locked room.

3a) Any amount of seeds, stalks and roots.

4a) Both the care giver and patient shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for assisting a qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department's registration process with the medical use of marihuana in accordance with the act.

Relevant to caregivers:

1b) The caregiver is allowed 2.5 ounces per patient.

2b) The caregiver is allowed 12 plants per patient in a enclosed and locked room.

3b) The caregiver is allowed any amount of seeds, stalks and roots.

4b) "Primary caregiver" means a person who is at least 21 years old and who has agreed to assist with a patient's medical use of marihuana and who has never been convicted of a felony involving illegal drugs.
    A registered primary caregiver may assist not more than 5 qualifying patients with their medical use of marihuana.

2. #2 whiskey, Aug 17, 2009
    Yes, both the patient and a care giver can grow, but you can only have 2.5 ounces [of cured marijuana] at a time, so you would have to sell the exta marijuana at the end of the grow to other patients to keep yourself under the limit if you were worried about being raided and checked out by the police.

A care giver cannot be arrested, but it says that they have to be registered, so you have to go through that process, whatever that may be where you live to ensure that it's fully legal and legit.

3. Now when you sell the left over bud, dont they have to be to patients registered to you, the care giver?

4. Without reading the actual law itself, I'm not sure.

5. Currently the law does not define what you may or may not do with left over product. I've consulted our lawyers regarding the matter, after he researches it, i will follow up with an answer.

-M
    Nile Valley Group Technical Advisor

6. :confused:

Thanks new blade. :)

7. He's right, the law doesn't define what you can and cannot do with the exta marijuana, which is pretty interesting to me...

8. MMJ laws are horribly broken IMNSHO.

If it's medicine it should be prescribed by a doctor. We should be doing active research to find the best strains and cannabinoid combinations to treat specific ailments then prescribe them.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that it should be 100% recreationally as well, but the way MMJ laws have been crafted are just fucked up in most States. Medicine should be medicine. Legalizing it for recreational use is another matter entirely that should be dealt with after we get true progress from the Feds as well as the States on getting it to people who really need it.

9. as I see it the caregiver would be the only one allowed to posess the plants if you name one and if the patient wants to ask for his plants at anytime the care giver must surrender them so they could in essence wait til the plants are almost ready for harvest and demand you turn them over and you would have to comply, I hope the law in michigan is ammended so the state will allow dispensarys but in the meen time it is my understanding that any amount over 2.5 ozs must be turned into the poilce department to be destroyed-I actually read this on another thread and I believe it was to do with the michigan law.I also read on another thread a really good idea to do with the extra would be to make a donation center for those who cannot afford to grow or buy their meds would then be able to apply to get their meds free or at a discounted rate from the extras others have grown.

10. #10 WEEirDo, Aug 17, 2009
    The patient does not own the plants at all in anyway. In the rules, it even says you can charge the patient for the product. The caregiver needs the patient more, if the patient can grow, if not that is usually when the patient will end up paying for the bud.

It sounds like a good idea about the donating bud, but that would interfer with the limit of "5" patients max per care giver.

Also, I maybe wrong, but I looked over the rules and I never saw anything about turning over extra product to the local police. Most likely that was just someone guessing at what you would do.

As for the dispensaries in Michigan, I wouldnt mind if they started showing up, because Id apply to work at one for sure. But the if the prices are anything in CALI, then I cant see it surviving for long in the Michigan economy and the such low demand for bud. There arent that many MMJ users in Michigan yet to where any central location would make money. I would have to think that the prices of an 8th would have to be like $5-15 max as it doesnt take jack shit money to grow dank buds, any vet grower will tell you this.

11. yea im wih ya on the pricing issue,I could see mich going the way of cali tho and putting out a rec permit down the road but in the meen time babysteps.To me it just seems like a small amount the 2.5 ozs, makes you wonder who came up with that amount because I can smoke upwards of a oz a week of good greens so its a bit depressing that the limit of onhand smoke is set so low, oh well what to do?

12. check out this link starting @ 3:30. It has to do with NV but I'm pretty sure the same applies in all MMJ states.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC5Z-_uWmrI]YouTube - 29Jul09-JW in Mizzou, ATL Friends and Limit Waiver for NV MMP???[/ame]

13. Every State's MMJ laws are different.*

* The few that even have them that is.

14. All state laws are different, and the meanings interpreted are different from county to county. The best way to get answers is to, #1, go here and become a member:

A Community of Support | Michigan Medical Marijuana Association | News and Information for Michigan's medical marijuana patients and caregivers

It is free and can answer any questions you may have. They have a decent forum there as well. One of the main administrators has been involved in medical marijuana activism since the 70's. They also have the compassion clubs listing updated several times per day so you can find a meeting in your area. There is good info goes around at these meetings, and I highly suggest attending a few.

You want legal questions answered, go here:

Detroit Michigan Marijuana Defense Attorney | Ann Arbor Medical Marijuana Lawyer | Wayne County MI Law Firm

Matthew Abel is hands down the leading authority on marijuana laws in the state of Michigan. There is not one attorney in the state that can give you more indepth information. He does answer his emails too, it may take a couple days, but he does answer his emails personally. You will not find better advice or information on anything dealing with marijuana, medical or otherwise in the state of Michigan.

less