Help me chose

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by aka alex, Jun 21, 2016.

1. alright guys I have a 12k budget and right now I can't decide between a 2006 350z or a e 36 bmw m3 I want a daily driver that can also have a little fun on the stree but be a weekend warrior at the track which one would u guys chose also are there any cars I'm missing?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'd say you buy 2 cars. One for the track and one for daily.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I don't know anything about the M3 but I will say this about the 350z. By 06' all of the problems with the earlier 350z's from the factory were fixed. They are good cars, they are fun cars and as a DD they will get you around with a smile on your face. I don't know about the auto transmission but the 6 speed stick shifts nice and firm. But when it's all said and done it really is not that quick nor fast of a car. A 2005 Chrysler 300c(Hemi) will easily out run a 2006 350z in both 0-60 times and 1/4 mile and it does it with 4 doors! With a little suspension work it even runs with a 350z on the track! For $12,000(assuming US $) it seems there are other options of there other an a 350z.

4. ^lol 300c!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. #1 I was not implying that the OP run out and buy a 300c(in the US the 300c is the 4 door sedan not the wagon like in the UK). #2 the joke is on every 350z I come across as I put them in their place plain and simple. So what's the point of your reply?

6. 300c is a terrible car. Read the reviews. I've driven a few on test drives as well as my friends 300c.

Shitty throttle response, mushy brakes, terrible suspension.
    It is comfortable for long drives, but would NEVER buy one for daily commute, if ever.
    I'd rather buy a used charger or magnum.

300c is for old people plain and simple.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You realize they i.e. 300,Charger and Magnums are all the same car with a different body on them right! ALL of the suspension parts are the same. The 300c without question has a better suspension(taken from Mercedes of course) than my Jaguar I once had and out performs my old 350Z, stock for stock. Sure it's not set up to run the twisty roads in stock form. Sounds like your friend must have a very unmaintained vehicle as mine will stop on a dime and turn the massive rear tires I run to smoke at the crack of the pedal.

With that aside this thread is not about your friends Chrysler that is in need of repair. I was merely stating that with $12,000(US) I would find other options for a fun DD/track car other than a 350Z.

8. #9 BreakfastBurger, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
    I heard bmws cost a lot more for upkeep

• Like Like x 3
  9. There's plenty of fun cars for $12k. 300c would be near the bottom of that list. Truly

• Like Like x 1
  10. Again I never once said he should score a 300c. I was just comparing the option of a 350Z against the 4 door 300c sedan.

11. There's plenty of sedans you could of recommended over the 300c. Come on.

12. Ok between the m3 or the 350 I would pick the 350 simply because of parts and a little tuning perhaps. A 350 with a few additions to the body would look nice and the car runs well, it's fun. The m3 is more fun and is more of a daily driver but it's better not to buy old german cars as your only car, they have to be on the side to truly appreciate them.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Unless you have deep pockets, or are buying new with a warranty, you may wind up with the car in the garage more often than you can afford. Just sayin'.

14. 12k is on the higher end for a e36 m3, that being said i would not get one of these over a 350 z for your daily, and this is coming from someone who owns an e36 and loves it. The e36 is at least 7 years older and potentially over 10 years older than the z, it doesnt have that jap reliability, worse mpg(probably), more expensive to repair, etc. They are great cars but not if its your only one, z would make more sense.

15. Im glad to see in this thread that reason seems to be found here. You cant fuck with the Japanese when it comes to Nissan and Acura. See what an 99 r34 fetches around now and days, or is that too risky?
    3 , maybe 4 years ago around here in Canadian Tire money it was $14K. wtf is that shit?!?!

16. Coming in late, but hopefully OP did not do anything stupid. If you got 12k total budget and you buy a 20 year old German car for your daily.. you sir, are a "not a smart man".

I say that as the owner of only two cars, both of which are German (so obviously no bias). If you have 12k to buy a car that you have to count on running rain or shine.. the smart money is on the Japanese.

• Like Like x 1
  17. #19 Marcher, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
    I have e36 bmw m3, good car, at least arranges me fully. I ride already one year! I want to give advice, at a purchase, if it is the used car, attentively examine it, check up all knots and VIN number, for example through That no problems in future.