Help!? Leaves turning yellow/brown and dying?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by CrazyKanadian, Jan 19, 2011.

1. #1 CrazyKanadian, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
    I got a Purple Kush clone from a friend and have been vegetating it for approx. 3 weeks, and now this is happening to the leaves near the bottom half of the plant. The leaves are starting to turn pale green/yellow, and a few of them have turned somewhat brown and curled up.

Can anybody help me solve this issue before it starts to seriously affect the plant?

Sorry if the pics are bad quality.

From looking at other posts on this thread I think it's a PH problem with the water i'm giving it. Am I right? How can I fix this problem?

Attached Files:

2. PH is always something to think about, and generally speaking it is the first thing one should think of.

However, from the pictures and what you said, I'd suggest that your problem is a Nitrogen deficiency. If you have any 10-2-1 or similar guano, I'd scratch 1 heaping teaspoon into the top of the soil.

What is your PH, by the way :)

3. Nitrogen deficiency huh? Where can I get my hands on some of this 10-2-1 stuff? Sorry this is my first plant and I'm kind of scrambling to fix it before I kill the poor thing. Also I need to get a PH tester asap I guess, I never thought of it before :confused:

4. and Head to your nearest garden store for ferts and a pH tester. If you cant get 10-2-1, look for Orchid food which will be close. Making a tea from blood meal adds nitro quick or fish emulsion. DO NOT OVER FERTILIZE! Start with a 1/4 strength and only feed once. The plant will not cure overnight so be patient. After about 2 weeks you can fertilize again. I add molasses to my water for micro-nutrients.
    I only water with Reverse Osmosis or distilled water. Tap water has salts that combine with ferts and render them useless. Once a month I flush the soil with pure water to remove any mineral salt buildup

The pH meter is a must for growing. Lemon juice or a cap-full of vinegar will lower your pH. Reduce your pH slowly or you will shock the plant.

5. Wow thanks a ton for the help. I'm making a run to the gardening store tomorrow morning to get those supplies.

6. Check out the Zero water filter. It is the only filter that reduces the TDS to Zero. I change mine when the ppm's start to approach 20.

Flushing is against my religion, it compacts the soil which makes it real hard for o2 to get to the roots and also kills off the beneficial bacteria.

I know the popular item today is molasses, but stay away from that. You don't need it.

Go forth and overgrow the world. :wave: