Help! Leaves turning yellow and dying.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by dnaughty, Mar 24, 2008.

1. The lower leaves on my plant got droopy, turned yellow, and now are drying up.:eek: My roots look good, top leaves look good, still getting new growth. I have read contradictory nute info, basically that yellow means TOO much nutes, then I read you CAN'T over feed hydroponically cause the plant will only take the nutes it needs. Any help, or references are much appreciated.

2. Hey, I don't know whats wrong with your plants, but mine are doin the exact same thing in soil. I don't think its anything to do with watering cause I've never had a problem with it before and I always water the same way. I use MG soil, yeah I know OMG. I'm afraid it's too much of something but I don't know what. I just fimmed my plants like 2 days ago. Both get the same treatment all the way. Do you have any ideas?

3. what u are describing sounds like nitrogen deficency

4. nute burn will show on leaf tips and u use less nutes in hydro not more or u will burn ur plants to death.

5. I'm having the same problem...I found this about it.

"
    Magnesium is a component of the chlorophyll molecule and serves as a cofactor in most enzymes.

Magnesium deficiency will exhibit a yellowing (which may turn brown) and interveinal chlorosis beginning in the older leaves. The older leaves will be the first to develop interveinal chlorosis. Starting at leaf margin or tip and progressing inward between the veins. Notice how the veins remain somewhat green though as can be seen in figure 15.
    Notice how in Figure 16 and 17 the leaves curl upwards like they're praying? They're praying for Mg! The tips may also twist.
    This can be quickly resolved by watering with 1 tablespoon Epsom salts/gallon of water. Until you can correct nutrient lockout, try foliar feeding. That way the plants get all the nitrogen and Mg they need. The plants can be foliar feed at ½ teaspoon/quart of Epsom salts (first powdered and dissolved in some hot water). When mixing up soil, use 2 teaspoon dolomite lime per gallon of soil.
    If the starting water is above 200 ppm, that is pretty hard water, that will lock out mg with all of the calcium in the water. Either add a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salts or lime (both will effectively reduce the lockout or invest into a reverse osmosis water filter.
    Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don't overdo Mg or you'll lock up other nutrients."

6. I had the same problem. Here is what cured it. First, I grow in soil, so now I use 5 gallon buckets- nothing less. More soil volume equals a bit more latitude and prevents leaf yellowing root binding. If you use any soil with nutes added, forget using them while growing. the double whammy is impossible to manage. I have used Black Gold (nuted) soil and it was fine as long as I did not add more nutes (just a little molasses and CO2 during flowering).

7. I think the answer to your question depends on the height and size of the plant. I never lost a single leaf until my plants were huge (4-5'). At that point they are deep in the flowering stage and are quite bushy. The lights, at that point, don't penetrate the bottom leaves very well and their function is done, so they die off. Right before harvest I pull handfuls of leaves out of the pots. I threw away about a pound of leaves this week and it hasn't put a dent in the health of the plants. In fact it's better for large plants anyway, stripping away all those worthless bottom leaves creates air movement. But again, I don't know what size your plants are. Include pictures of your plants and that will help us better diagnose what it may be.

8. I also am having the same exact problem with my outdoor plant! I think the problem with mine might be the fact that i planted it in clay'y soil could this possibly be the problem? Please someone help me!!!! keep smokin:smoking:

9. i always have a few leaves that start to die i just clip off the dead parts and it seems to be minimal but if i let them go it seems to spread

10. im growing Y greiga in soil (fox fam oceanforest mixed with mirical grow hydration control)i am useing a 1.75 gallon pot filled almost to the brim with soil which is majority forx fam im having my oldest leaves die with the same symptom yellos tunring borown and basicaly dying. its starting to spread i have three sets of leaves with a fourth coming in so its still veging just its being abused by either soil nutes or water issues. and this plant is tiny. 3 weeks this friday form seedling. i absolulty need this thing to continue growing is there any soultuon i can do to make this thing revive. please i need help asap. this thing is gunna die before it makes it to week four i can just feel it i need help
    N
    O
    W!!!!!

11. [quote name='"MyDanksStank"']im growing Y greiga in soil (fox fam oceanforest mixed with mirical grow hydration control)i am useing a 1.75 gallon pot filled almost to the brim with soil which is majority forx fam im having my oldest leaves die with the same symptom yellos tunring borown and basicaly dying. its starting to spread i have three sets of leaves with a fourth coming in so its still veging just its being abused by either soil nutes or water issues. and this plant is tiny. 3 weeks this friday form seedling. i absolulty need this thing to continue growing is there any soultuon i can do to make this thing revive. please i need help asap. this thing is gunna die before it makes it to week four i can just feel it i need help
    N
    O
    W!!!!![/quote]

Im using that soil as well. I've noticed it's really easy to over water using it because it retains water so well . So maybe.hold off on watering a fe w days? Besides, when theyre that small they dont need a ton of water. Hope that helps.

12. so i latyed off on the wateringand dilutedsome epson salts thinking t was a magnisium defficiancy and shes still dying im gunna get some nutes and try tat hopefully i can save her shes 27% thc being one of the most potent plants out there so im doing everything i can to make this right. wish me luck. any oter advice please do menchine it. again the yellowing start at he tips and works itsway down the leavs also its not dark its a very light green indicating serios issues. just dont no what the issues are.

13. 06042012853.jpg
    am i in danger??
    i use tap water,2 18w fluorescent lamp,i have ventilation system,they r growing fast but its always yellow at the top,any help please

14. i am betting that your tap water is very alkaline? give us a pH on the water you have been using. do you test and/or pH down your water? just my idea. i may be way off.

15. #15 JumboGarlic74, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
    I've had seedlings and cuttings look like that alot over the years, and it usually fixes itself when I repot to the next size container and she gets more roots going. It can slow things down some. Good luck and post picks so people can see the progression, someone will know exactly what it is. Let us know so we can avoid it. I use alot of perlite in my mix, so it's hard to over water.