Help? I've denied it for years.. but I think I need meds for my depression / anxiety.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Nutrition Facts, Jul 10, 2010.

1. #1 Nutrition Facts, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
    first off, before I get 50 "just smoke a blunt" replies.... sadly right now I cant smoke/vape/eat weed at all, I'm trying to get a job, Its just not a good idea.

Just to break it all down real quick...

I just graduated college and i don't see any real accomplishment
    I cant find a reason to get out of bed, and I sleep all day.
    I care way too much about what people think of me
    I have lost ALL motivation in life
    I have no interest in things I use to love
    I have so many great job offers but I think "why would anyone hire ME?"
    I am in good shape and have nice clothes, Yet I have no self confidence at all
    I hate being around people, I feel uncomfortable even around my best friends.
    I sometimes get nervous for no reason and it makes me absolutely hate going out anymore, THEN People call me out on this nervousness, which makes EVERYTHING just that much worse.

Example - I went to the store today, the guy at the register said "dude are you okay? you look tweeked" .. i was completely sober.. I just said.. "ha.. idk man.. ha.. i guess its the red bull.." and quickly took my receipt and left so i'm officially LYING about dumb shit just to make people think i'm alright.

..........yeah. It's a pain.

this is all completely weird to me, I never use to be like this. It started a couple years ago as stress from school, and it has boiled over into this. I'm just constantly putting myself down, I'm embarrassed as shit to admit i have a "problem", and I've never been on any sort of meds in my life. I hate complaining about this so much, and I'm not looking for a shoulder to cry on or any sort of sympathy. I am just so tired of feeling bummed and unenthusiastic about EVERYTHING.

My parents have noticed and are constantly asking if I need any help ( I just moved back in with them because they are awesome enough to let me live at home until I get a job ) Mom talked to her pharmacist friend, and she recommended I try Celexa. I do not know anything about anti-depressants other than what i've been googling all day. I really want to give it a shot...

Any advice? I know this is more of a question to ask a doctor but I am just wondering if its a good idea or bad idea, or I should I try a different brand? Does anyone have success stories? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

2. Actually I'd say quit smoking instead of smoking more.

Maybe talk to a therapist before you have a doc throw pills at ya.

But I understand, I denied my issues for years, but now I'm finally getting around to getting help.

I find meds to be a last option, but if it comes down to it you gotta give it a try.

3. I felt the same way for a while. I have cut my smoking from all day to once every other weekend all day and I feel a lot better. I don't know if quiting smoking is why though. I think if you have quit smoking recently it could be the shit in life you haven't dealt with because you were always high. Even weed can be abused. I really don't have much faith in meds If I were you I would go to a therapist, something with active effort.

4. GREAT advice:smoke:

5. #5 TesseLated, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
    Thats depression, yeah...also, depending on severity, loss of appetite and just an extreme sad feeling..definitely psychologist before psychiatrist..try to find a set that works as a team. Since you have support of parents, definitely let them in on it. You'll have to lay off teh smoke while you try to figure it out. Good luck with it..I went through it for years trying to figure it out. Dont put it off. You dont want to be in the same place a year or 5 from now. PM me if you ever need to vent. Been there. Not anymore!..:D

**oh yeah...about meds, I had to try many different ones before I found what worked. Many people are way anti-med, but when there's a chemical imbalance in your system, they can help get you out of it. My situation was tricky due to bi-polar vs uni-polar. Not on them now and Im fine, although still have issues with sleep. If I manage that, I stay pretty level.

6. I've been through that, I went to a psychiatrist and was prescribed Zoloft (an anti-depressant) I didn't feel bad anymore, but I didn't feel anything really. I quit taking it and started buying better weed. Problem solved.:smoke:

7. seek help man anyway you can get it. depression and anxiety are diseases, if you have a disease you get treatment and you get better. you CAN feel better man trust me. whatever course of action you take (meds/therapy/combination etc.) is a step in the right direction.

there are better times to be had my friend, i wish you the very best of luck. good vibes man good vibes :)

8. Don't be afraid to seek professional help...hell, I think therapy may have saved my life. (I too suffered from anxiety and depression) As much as cannabis has helped, I won't lie and say that it is the only solution. I also take 200mg of sertraline (generic zoloft) daily, and am therapy...the combination of all of these things has GREATLY improved my quality of life, though not without a great deal of struggle in the beginning.

I'm convinced happiness is a lifelong process rather than a place.

9. happiness is not a destination, its a means of traveling - i don't remember

therapy sessions are always good but just like medicine.. you have to find whats right for you. i went through 4 people before i found one i liked.

10. Make sure you get a full physical before starting meds, to rule out underlying physical causes of your depression and anxiety.:)

11. Very true, I agree. You gotta find somebody who is the right fit with you. If you aren't comfortable with them, it will never work. And it can take a long time to fully open up to anybody (at least for me) its a growing process. But it can truly be a rewarding one.

12. I understand exactly what you're going through.
    I've been going/have gone through something similar.
    Don't waste your time and money on a Therapist,
    they're pretty useless. They're just there to listen and ask you questions,
    not offer constructive solutions.

I would go to your normal doctor and tell them about it, then they'll prescribe you medication and forward you to someone that can. But don't go straight to a therapist, I've been to 3... You can get the same advice from a Catholic priest at a confessional.

13. Well, I think it depends on the therapist...mine has always offered me concrete solutions. Plans of action, rather than just talk. But it depends on the therapist.

14. yep yep...It also depends on how much you are willing to put into it. If you want to make some real changes, or go for the quick,non-lasting fix...

To the jazz guy, you might just need to find the right one. You shouldnt give up, unless youre satisfied with where you are as far as goals and interpersonal shit goes.

15. I was gonna say stop smoking.. long term marijuana use can cause depression-like symptoms

16. yea, you guys are probably right.

look man, it's the worst feeling in the world.. I know what it's like to feel that way. Do you have any sort of outlet?

I took into playing jazz music at jam sessions. I like underground places with a small group of people. That's how it helped me get through my ordeal...

just be careful about girls though.
    I think a woman can fuck up your emotions worst than any drug I know.