Help Identifying this bug? (video)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DonFKennedy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Link in case embedded video doesn't work for you (opens in new tab)

Doing a run of Grandaddy Purple that I got from Herbies. Also getting into perpetual so I have Herijuana seedlings going.

In Hydroton doing flood and drain. Seeds started in rockwool cubes.
    I run Advanced Nutrients besides Botanicare CalMag, Silica Blast (also use Rhino Skin), and a compost tea that my local grow shop gives away for free that has guano and all this other stuff in it.

Was about to take a plant from one room to another, but picked up the first plant and noticed these tiny white pests on the roots.

I've been working on the room that has these plants in it and the table has been draining REALLY slow, so the roots have remained really wet (I was about to fix that).

I just want to kill these things. I'll kill all my bennies.. I don't care.. I'll get more. I just want to save my crop and be rid of these.

Please Help!

2. #2 NaturalMistik, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  3. #3 NaturalMistik, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1449006795.289699.jpg

All my reading from others and my own research show springtails as a bother to the grower (simply because its a bug) but not a hinder to the plant like mites or the bastard caterpillar. Speingtails love moisture so thats why they found perfect home but unless there are hundreds or even thousands leave them be and continue growing around them if can be.

4. Thanks for the help!

Now that you've helped me figure out what they are (springtails), I found more information.

Everyone seems to argue about whether they're bad or good. The two guys who said they were bad had this to say:

"I battled them for a loooooong time and they reduced my yields to nothing."

another guy says:

"Either way Glomus fasciculatus is affected severely by springtails which correlates directly with reduced phosphate uptake and decreased yield in the plants (leeks) studied. G fasciculatus, and other unidentified fungi species hyphae and spores were isolated from the gut of the springtails studied."

Anyhow, I used a product called GoGnats. Mixed it in my res and they all died. One treatment. Guy at my local hydro store recommended it.

5. Awesome, glad you got rid of em. Me unless it was a predatory bug like lady bugs id kill em. I just dont like critters in my tent.

6. Ty for added info, never knew about them hindering uptake. I will suggest DEATH to all who ask!