HELP i found a bug

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by B-Chillin, Jul 13, 2013.

1. so was just looking over my bbgirls and found a bug! omg!!
    I had signs of bugs (lil holes andwhite spots) in my leaves a phew weeks back and started spraying with alch/water. did that for about a week and it stopped. well theres no new sings of bugs that I can see, except the bug I just found.

the pics where take w iphone/mag lense. the lower quality pic is bad becuase the bug was much smaller. the bug I found today was sorta pig .. like i noticed it a foot away ontop of a leave.

what type of bugs r these and what should i do to kill them! .. in second week of flower no bud sites yet

Attached Files:

2. One on the left looks like a fruit fly...not sure if they are actually bad or not im used to dealing with fungus gnats

3. With 28 years experience as an exterminator I have to agree with White Jesus, that's a Humpbacked fruit fly, question is, why is he/she in your room. Shouldn't be anything there for him/her to feed on, though if there are significant amounts of standing/open/untreated water they will infest for breeding, and by your story I'd say that's what happened. They seemed to begin again after 7-10 days of treatment, that's about the length of time needed for the eggs to hatch. Alcohol and water (25%/75%) will kill them on contact but you need to investigate and find the source or they wont stop. Trash, fruit, vegetables, water, dog's/cat's water, your incoming air system to your room, and open windows/doors are likely causes I would check first. They are able to breed in the soil also but it has to be wet, so make sure your soil isn't your problem. As far as what damage they can do to MJ plants, I honestly don't have a clue, but they cant be good for the grow room. Good luck, hope I've helped. Grasshopper

4. yea thnx .. ill keep at the alch/water till my buds start to grow :/

5. we have a plumb tree outside.. maybe from that , tract inside

6. Will neem oil work? Be greatful you don't get those huge green worms that eat your buds.

7. B-Chillin, yes the plumb trees could be the answer, though fruit flies aren't good flyers over long distances. Check the tree, especially the fruit of the tree, and see for yourself. Neem oil, as suggested above, will kill them but you need to find the source and stop them there. Welcome to the Bugman's world! Grasshopper

8. I found traces of bugs 2 weeks ago and got some neem and bam no more bug crap or signs also try planting garlic in your grow area I heard good things about it and I'm using It and so ar no bugs

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. its been a straight up war with these bugs!
    was able to get rid of the fruit flys with just alch and water spray, there wasnt to many.
    phew weeks later i got hit with gnats, but that was a ez fix.. just put some sand on my top soil
    now.. week 4 in flower i have ants coming through my floorboard... they seem to stay away from my plants but are crawling all over my grow closet. I spray em with a high mix of alch n water .. seems to kill on contact but they keepmcoming back. I dont know whats atracting them either.

10. neem n bam huh? ill look into it. like the garlic idea as well.

11. For the very best neem oil go here -

Neemresource.com

This is Ahimsa cold pressed organic neem oil from India.

The neem products that you will find at the Hydro Store like "Einstein Oil" (what a friggin joke) or the Azamax or Azatrol products, etc, contain around 1,500 PPM of Azadirachtin which is the primary pesticide (organic compound) that is derived from the Neem tree, specifically the seeds.

The Ahimsa cold pressed organic neem oil averages out at around 4,500 PPM of Azadirachtin.

With any neem oil, please keep in mind that oil WILL NOT mix with water. Period. At all... Lol - but everybody knows this. You will need an emulsifying agent to break down the oil so that you won't have a nasty goopy mess. For my emulsifier I use liquid silica - specifically DynaGro ProTekt.

What you want to do is to take a coffee cup about a third full of warm water. Add 1 teaspoon of organic neem oil to it - you'll see the oil floating and coagulating in the water. To this add a half a teaspoon of the liquid silica and stir well. You will immediately see the oil break down and disappear into the solution. Add this mix to one gallon of tepid (room temp) water and add it to your sprayer.

For the best results it's best to also use a "surfactant". What this does is to help your neem/pesticide solution stick better and spread out evenly on the leaves vs. immediately running off. For this I use aloe vera juice which I buy in a gallon jug from the health food store. Keep in mind that both the DynaGro ProTekt silica and the aloe juice provide other nutritional benefits as well but I'm not going to get into these now.

Bugs lay eggs. It's a fact of life and as a gardener you need to know that single applications of any pesticide will do nothing but temporarily keep your pests at bay - it will not get rid of them. Fungus Gnats, Spider Mites - all the nasty denizens of our grow rooms lay eggs. YOU MUST BREAK THE EGG CYCLE IN ORDER TO BE RID OF THEM.

Always spray at lights out. Not only can foliar spraying under bright lights damage your plants but the light will degrade the beneficial organic compounds that you are relying kn to get rid of your pests.

Spray the first time at lights out; then spray 2-3 days later, and then 2-3 days later, and so on for 3-4 applications. This way you will kill off the new bugs that hatch from existing eggs, and will then kill off the new bugs before they are mature enough to lay eggs - this is what I mean by breaking the egg cycle.

Don't spray neem past your second week of flower - you're going to need to do something different at that point - different botanical sprays made from garlic, hot peppers, some of the mints, etc work very well - for a spider mite infestation during flower Spinosad will work well.

Good luck! Hope this helped.

J

12. Yea I saw bug shi on my leaves like 3 weeks ago pure neem mixed with an oil I used pure olive oil like one drop literally mixed with 2 tsp of neem and a spray bottle of water and no more bugs. But I think you have to rinse it off aka just spary with water but it doesn't matter to me cause I mist my plants everyday with fish tank water about 1 hour before the light comes on

I tries to post a pic I took of them today but app won't let me

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. love my ipad :) works perfect w this site ... no app

14. damn! well thnx man think that sums it up. Im defiantly making some spray , but im in 4th week of flower so ill have to just play it safe! I just made a mix of water/alch/ and dish soap (very lil) and it works very well ... bugs die on contact