HELP! Growing in Arizona

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by pooppooppoopinmybutt, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Hi all,

I'm growing indoors in Arizona and after 2 complete grows, I can't figure out why my buds are so airy. I did one grow in CA in a closet with CFL bulbs and while the buds were small, they were still dense and pretty potent. In Arizona, my first grow was 2 plants with a mars hydro 1k light. The buds were big, but very airy, with small calyxes. I figured it was due to having a small light. Then I did a 2nd grow with another 2 plants (different strains) under a spider farmer 4k light, 4 times the size of the mars light and still ended up with wispy buds. I've used the same nutes and soil as I did in CA so the only thing I can think of would be low humidity here in the desert. I'm doing a 3rd grow and added a humidifier to keep humidity around 50%, up from the 20 or 30% before.

Has anyone grown in the desert and had this problem? I think it could also be from drying too quickly after chopping, again due to the low humidity. I just want to get this right so I don't waste another grow cycle

• Like Like x 1
  2. Could your temps be too warm? When buds begin forming they stretch at first and then fill in as the stretch slows. Heat encourages stretch, if your temps are too warm they may stretch to the point they're unable to properly fill which would make the buds wispy. Are you having a problem with foxtailing?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Temps got pretty high with the 4k light. I couldn't put it at full strength because of the size of my tent, but temps weren't really an issue with the 1k light. I did get foxtailing with the 1k LED though

4. I’m at the Front Range of the Rocky Mts, SE Colorado. It’s dry mountain air here. Please review your grow info with us.
    Day temps-veg
    Night temps-bloom
    Humidity range-veg
    Humidity range-bloom
    Room where tent is temps/humidity
    How are you exhausting out the tent
    How do you allow fresh air intake
    Grow technique: hydro or media in pots

• Like Like x 1
  5. How big is your tent? Thats not a very powerful light.

6. 2x4. Temps got over 100 degrees with the 4k light so I sold it

7. Are you exhausting to the exterior of the building or back into the room where the tent is located?
    Are you maintaining the temp in the room with air conditioning?
    Can you adjust the AC separately for that room?
    How tall is your tent?
    How many inches is the light from the top of the plants?

8. Can you post a photo of your tent set up with your grow.
    For a 2’x4’ tent the SP 4000 may be to much, it’s spec is for 4’x4’.
    The Mars Hydro 1000 is spec at 2’x2’, probably should use 2 of those side by side for your tent.
    All that considered, the light must hang at the correct distance from your plants. Did you start with the manufacture recommendations for height?

9. Should have figured out a way to get temps down. At 8 square feet you should be running that light at 80-100% power for optimal growth. Just gotta pay for the AC or grow outside.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I grow in Palm Springs. I get hard nugs indoors and outdoors. Heat is not your friend. Yeah most of the fluffier stuff comes in the summer or in warm temps. I think after you're there for a little while you'll realize to grow once it cools down enough to where you're not running AC all the damn time and fall and grow a shit ton until spring. Wrap it up and have fun in the summer

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Yup. In my opinion growing is a once a year thing. Have fun with it in the cold winter months and take the rest of your time off.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yeah I've learned my lesson over the last 10 years. I pretty much haven't grown up outside in the summer for about 5 years

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mine came down couple weeks ago. Really helps you get through the snow months having a little tropical garden. Keeps the house fresh too.

P3090346.JPG P2120347.JPG P3220449.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. I do exactly the same thing, and I’m in southern Maine. I’ll pop beans end of August, veg in September, flower til end of December, pop more beans around Christmas and harvest right around end of April. Current run is a few weeks away from chopping and I’ll take the summer off.

I learned awhile ago the heat battle is a very expensive one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I was well aware of the battle before I ever started it. I have no interest in running extra AC/dehumidifier. Always grew with the "once a year" mindset. I think it helps with bug/disease issues a lot too.